Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 27

Author Topic: DF v0.43.03+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 86099 times)

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
Re: DF v0.43.03+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #225 on: January 13, 2017, 05:25:40 am »

Can anyone suggest some tips for creating worlds with many small biomes? ...
This should get you started..
I found quite a few embarks with 4 biomes in a 3x3, in several of those, and they generate, typically, without any rejections.
Just remove the seeds and regen to see more.

Okay so I took this and ran with it.  After various iterations I've ended up with a worldgen I'm pretty happy with.  (AKA ready to be stimulated for more tweaking.  ;))  Here's an example of what it looks like.

I find this maximises my chance to find an interesting embark.  My version uses minimum history and lots of big beasts.  I've also set it up to be pretty deep since I like building multi z-level fortresses above the first cavern.  (Note no oceans.) 

Feel free to adapt or try it out!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

rmblr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 17, 2017, 02:23:19 am »

I really like this patchwork worldgen, but I would like a small ocean or great lake, what settings would I tweak to get a small ocean to generate?

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 17, 2017, 01:19:23 pm »

I really like this patchwork worldgen, but I would like a small ocean or great lake, what settings would I tweak to get a small ocean to generate?
A simple answer is, add coastline.  If you enable 1,2,3 or 4 edge oceans, you'll have oceans at the edges of the map.  Having lakes or oceans in the interior of the landmass is more complicated, but the simple answer is: world painter for elevation only, if nothing else works. 

That way, you can put elevation 0-99 tiles where you want your ocean or lake, and put your normal land at whatever elevation you need or want.

Maltavius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 18, 2017, 08:30:27 am »

Hi! I'm looking for a generally !!FUN!! embark.
What I mean by that is:
-a volcano
-terrifying biome
-contact with dwarves, humans, goblins, and (preferably) elves.
-enough materials to make steel (trees/coke, flux, iron)
Bonus points if:
-it's close to a Dark Fortress or some Dark Pits so I'm under constant siege by gobbos
-has a tower neighbor
-is reanimating

Thanks in advance!

I wish the base-game embark finder had an option like that, I'm in a game now where everything is great (for once) but I get no migrants and no traders, I think the goblins have taken over the only other dwarven place on the map...

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 18, 2017, 09:59:39 am »

Well, for that request you could swap good swamp with evil one in the Sleeper's worldgen I did last page, though history might need to be re-tuned.

For modding existing game, you could retire, do this, unretire.

Luriant

• Bay Watcher
  • Mediocre english, sorry
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 23, 2017, 08:54:01 pm »

I want a game with lot of Titans, FB and other creatures, and a little long history with werecreatures and vampires.
But i don't want the dead of all civilizations, i want powerfull civs, goblin sieges and trading.

With advanced parameters, I put 3 civilizations of each race, limited to 1 settlement, ensuring high population, but after 100-200 years all settlements end up succumbing.

I think in edit titan attacks with more than 3000 people (protecting titans attacks) , but i don't know if i can lower after generating the history. I play with 43.05, so no dfHACK, and don't find anything in the raws of the save.

Any Urist can help?
╔══╦══╗██▓▓
☺♠┼╥╤┼▲▼▓
Θ÷║πΩ║      ▓
+═╬══╣ò    ▓
≈≈▒‼^☻²
╚══╩══╝
  Σ Spkd Grn Glss Blls 252☼ 2.6Γ

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 24, 2017, 12:27:33 am »

The problem of "powerful civs" and piles of megabeasts & titans has been hashed before, around page 8 of this thread iirc. They tend to be mutually exclusive, as you figured, though quick note: ocean gap can keep them out, and titans are randomly scattered on available land I guess.

As for FBs, larger words with more caverns generate more FBS (It's 1 per each underground region iirc).

I doubt titan attack limit would apply to non-player forts, but haven't tested. The other invasion limit settings don't, though.

With that in mind, here's few possibilities:

1) Tweaked variant of "civ & mega cagematch". One example:

Did manage to get major human town, but as you'd expect the original mentioned caveats apply. The elven major retreat is taken over by humans, and both them and dwarves have no sites.

Spoiler: town pop (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Parameters (click to show/hide)

34 titans and FBs, at least some vamps...But as for caveats?

Can remove the seeds and adjust civ counts or even demon counts - On one of the initial 200-civilizaton generations, I saw an elven forest retreat with 800 sentients and about 50k giant animals, though the reasons you might do this could also be wanting more surviving dwarves or dozen+ towers.

If you do adjust demon number as well as quadrupling civ count you might want to replace non-evil shrublands with marshes to prevent goblins from settling on human territories.

Can pick an embark place/site and then paint to make sure goblins can reach it, but not other sites. Granted, I don't expect this to make dwarves do better against megabeasts.

2) Perhaps a monster island with 4 civs instead of 1? Sure, they usually get wrecked, but not always, and gen doesn't take long.

3) 3 islands with human, elven and goblin civs. If you don't need major sites, then they can be 1-tile, though otherwise need to be at least 6 tiles for humans and elves. Then embark on an area where those three and mainland meet, so that you can have all neighbours. (This geography might need fair bit of regenerating.)

For the rest of the world, populate with megabeasts and dwarves somewhere. If you have less than 1/7 megabeasts per world tile it is probable that the foreign sites will be fine.

Oceans don't mesh well with visitors though iirc.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 02:29:48 am by Fleeting Frames »

Sabin Stargem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 24, 2017, 09:20:40 am »

I want to create a world that solely consists of Joyous, Untamed, and Terrifying biomes.  The issue is that Dwarves and Humans would refuse to settle there.  I am guessing that these civilizations would have to be altered in the Raws to accept highly savage biomes.   These look relevant, but I am not sure what the numbers mean, amongst other things.

Dwarf
   [LIKES_SITE:CAVE_DETAILED]
   [TOLERATES_SITE:CITY]
   [TOLERATES_SITE:CAVE_DETAILED]
   [EXCLUSIVE_START_BIOME:MOUNTAIN]
   [SETTLEMENT_BIOME:ANY_FOREST]
   [SETTLEMENT_BIOME:MOUNTAIN]
   [SETTLEMENT_BIOME:ANY_GRASSLAND]
   [SETTLEMENT_BIOME:ANY_SAVANNA]
   [SETTLEMENT_BIOME:ANY_SHRUBLAND]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_FOREST:1]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:MOUNTAIN:3]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_GRASSLAND:1]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_SAVANNA:1]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_SHRUBLAND:1]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_RIVER:1]

Elf
   [DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE:TREE_CITY]
   [LIKES_SITE:TREE_CITY]
   [TOLERATES_SITE:TREE_CITY]
   [START_BIOME:ANY_FOREST]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_LAKE:1]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_FOREST:3]

Human
   [DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE:CITY]
   [LIKES_SITE:CITY]
   [TOLERATES_SITE:TREE_CITY]
   [START_BIOME:ANY_GRASSLAND]
   [START_BIOME:ANY_SAVANNA]
   [START_BIOME:ANY_SHRUBLAND]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_WETLAND:1]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_DESERT:1]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_FOREST:2]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_OCEAN:12]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_LAKE:3]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_GRASSLAND:3]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_SAVANNA:2]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_SHRUBLAND:2]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_RIVER:4]

Goblin
   [DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE:DARK_FORTRESS]
   [LIKES_SITE:DARK_FORTRESS]
   [TOLERATES_SITE:DARK_FORTRESS]
   [START_BIOME:ANY_LAND]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:ALL_MAIN:1]

Kobold
   [DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE:CAVE]
   [LIKES_SITE:CAVE]
   [TOLERATES_SITE:CAVE]
   [START_BIOME:MOUNTAIN]
   [START_BIOME:NOT_FREEZING]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_WETLAND:3]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_DESERT:1]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_FOREST:2]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_LAKE:2]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:MOUNTAIN:3]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_GRASSLAND:1]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_SAVANNA:1]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_SHRUBLAND:1]

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 24, 2017, 10:09:44 am »

For what's it is worth, if you ensure that the game can only place humans and dwarves (demon number 0 and no forest), then humans can be possibly placed into untamed wilds when dwarves are no longer an option due insufficient appropriate mountain sites.

However, when I last tried this, it took them 24 centuries to get more than the starting hamlet.

Also not an option for dwarves (and even if you could, without hamlets to support with population the fort would likely get wrecked inside a century or two by FB).

Still, given how easily/often elves get placed into joyous forests, I'd suggest try to mod humans and dwarves to accept good biomes like them. I think the relevant tags would be one or multiple of
Code: [Select]
[USE_GOOD_ANIMALS]
[USE_GOOD_PLANTS]
[USE_GOOD_WOOD]
Possibly the [EVIL] in the creature_standard.txt under goblins might also be of interest, though despite what creature token page says goblins can obviously show up in neutral biomes.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 10:23:52 am by Fleeting Frames »

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 28, 2017, 08:13:37 am »

Hello Dwarves.  Although I'm fairly well versed in World cooking, there is a compilation which has eluded me, due as much to time as anything else.  I am trying to create a world with multiple semi-specific sites.  The parameters which interest me are;

Medium size, maximum titans/beasts (also Weres, Vamps, etc.), generous minerals, and overwriting the volcano minimum to be 3-10 (I can never get them to spawn naturally).

The sites I want in a single world are as follows;

- A savage desert bordering a mountain biome
- A dense forest which can spawn elephants, very slight elevation is a plus
- A waterfall between 3 & 6 zeds (6z is my fps limit); 3 river intersection would be ideal, but 2 will suffice
- A frozen biome (glacier or tundra) to attract yetis; volcano is a plus, non-reanimating preferred, but other evil is fine

Checking for all of these sites (and then making sure the civs are not extinct) is somewhat time consuming, which is why I'm here to ask the help of a few more chefs.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 28, 2017, 12:15:45 pm »

- I would go for a PSV defined world to place your specific sites manually. The rivers are the things you can't define manually, although I guess you could "prepare" for them with suitable valleys.
- I'd generate the world without seeds until the physical characteristics turn out as desired (waterfall, and other features present where intended). I'd then lock the first seed (just called "seed"), and keep generating the world until civs get a decent status. This would be my generated world, used for the further steps.
- I'd recheck that the savage biomes remain savage, as they can degrade over time (I think that's done by nearby civs).
- I would probably check the biome desiring to contain the elephants before accepting the world. If no elephants are present, I'd add them.
- Likewise, I'd check the frozen biome to see if there are yetis, and add them if not. Again, prior to accepting the world.
- Id check and edit the evil biome to have a different evil effect if the existing one turns out to be reanimating.

Obviously, it doesn't give you what you want directly, but it might help you getting there through a divide-and-conquer method of splitting up things and locking them down, rather than rolling all the dice and hope for them to all end up with the right numbers.

It can also be noted that a lot of (semi)megabeasts and titans tend to have a negative effect on civ survivability. A short history would help in that regard.
Goblins, likewise, tend to kick the asses of the other races.
Generous minerals are gotten by setting the mineral scarcity to a low number (which you probably knew already).

Edit:
Instead of defining a complete PSV set manually, you may want to try my tool http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=161188.msg7228166#msg7228166 by generating a world that mostly matches what you want, export it, and then tweak it to get the sites you want (again, it's restricted to the PSV level) and then use that parameter set (which includes your tweaked PSV set) to generate further world. This would then get you through step 1 above.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 12:24:58 pm by PatrikLundell »

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 28, 2017, 08:48:43 pm »

Sounds like a good plan.  However, I'm not familiar with 'PSV'.  Is that the 'perfect world painter' I see pop up here from time to time?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: March 01, 2017, 02:16:52 am »

I believe PSV stands for PreSetValues. You may has seen them posted after world gen parameter as [PSV_EL:10:10....], etc.
These values state the values DF should use for the corresponding parameter (Elevation, Temperature, Savagery, Drainage, Rainfall, Volcanism) for each world tile. Those values can be set by the World Painter accessible through the advanced world gen interface (I really hate it's mouse driven interface, though), or they can be edited manually in the world_gen.txt file, or be manipulated in a spread sheet. A problem with these parameters is that while it's optional to supply them for each parameter individually, if you do, you have to supply them for every tile of the world, so it means you can't just say "give me a world and have these spots take one these specific values". Thus, people using PSVs (myself included) tend to generate very artificial looking worlds. That's what I tried to deal with by producing the tool (which I don't think anyone but me has ever used): generate a world, export the PSVs DF generated, tweak one or more spots, regenerate the world, tweak, repeat.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: March 12, 2017, 03:00:48 am »

I'm looking for an embark that's got access to all four races, preferably in an agriculture-friendly biome. Surface water is a plus. Metal is less important, but I'd like to have at least a bit.

The twist is that in this spot, a (preferably large) reclaimable fortress must be located, if possible with a road leading to it.

If there's a way to get a fortress in flat terrain, then that would be great. Otherwise, it just has to not look weird (no sand surface on the tavern's second floor and such).

Thanks in advance!

DenBjornen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 08, 2017, 08:48:57 pm »

What would I change in the worldgen parameters in order to create more lakes?
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 27