Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 27

Author Topic: DF v0.43.03+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 86312 times)

vvAve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF v0.43.03+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #300 on: July 04, 2017, 10:01:37 am »

Is there a way to make the whole world tropical?

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 04, 2017, 11:11:46 am »

Is there a way to make the whole world tropical?
At a minimum, make sure your lowest temperature is 85. (from a previous post in this thread)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: July 04, 2017, 11:46:44 am »

To make the whole world tropical (in terms of biomes) you need to make a world without poles, as a world with poles defines tropicality based on latitude. For a world without poles the only tropicality condition is a temperature of 85+. However, DF adjusts temperature based on both altitude and latitude, and I'm not sure whether the latitude adjustment is disabled when there are no poles (it ought to be).

Ripper8472

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 04, 2017, 02:31:27 pm »

Hey guys!

I'm new to the forums, but I've been playing DF pretty much since it was launched.
I'm looking for some help in creating a very fun world.  The idea is to generate a world with zero (if possible) metal ore, so that the only souce of metal is goblinite.  Can this be achieved by only increasing Mineral scarecity?  Or are there other considerations.

I'm also open to accepting any challenging ideas, as I'm convinced its possible to build a thriving fortress in any environment.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 04, 2017, 03:09:58 pm »

You can get metalless embarks by increasing mineral scarcity (though past certain point it used to get weird iirc) and turning off hfs.

However, entities have access to metals they discover and metals they can produce in a reaction.
In case of goblins, they have no metal-mixing reactions, so they'll be only using what they discover. Their sites cover a huge area compared to player's single site, so they'll likely find something, but if not I guess they'll come wearing just leather/fur/bone jewellery.

In case of dwarves and humans, they have fair few metal-making reactions, so their caravans would bring bronze, brass, electrum, etc.

You'll want to change that around, so that goblins get bronze/steel/etc. while humans and dwarves are unable to produce it, though iirc play now is hardcoded to give you an anvil anyway.

In case of elves, I think they'll bring random metal for their metal instruments iirc, since they can't make any - though I'm not sure they'd ever use normal metal when divine metal is made an option in world gen. Anyway, you can just ensure they don't exist with lack of forests.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 04, 2017, 05:09:51 pm »

A high metal scarcity increases the number of embarks without metals (I use 80000), but as Fleeting Frames said, you want the goblins to actually have some -ite. Another alternative is to hack the geo biome at your embark to not have any metal ores (or no metal grade ones) using the Geomanipulator
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164090.msg7450350#msg7450350.
Note that the metal scarcity method has the "side effect" of frequently causing the dwarves to not have access to iron and/or copper, causing you to have o use steel for an anvil and/or bronze for starting axes, leaving you shorter on embark points than normal.

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 11, 2017, 05:47:44 pm »

Hello there, masters of world cooking!

It's been a long time since I played DF and I want to get back to it with a seaside embark. What I'm looking for are seaside high cliffs, with a fragment of a beach. I have no other requirements, just terrain. Thanks for your help!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 12, 2017, 03:35:39 am »

@Dark One:
I'd make it myself by finding a nice ocean side spot and then tweak the land region tiles of the embark to have a suitable elevation using the Regionmanipulator http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164136.msg7454345#msg7454345.
Of course, that requires usage of DFHack. If using vanilla I'd make use of the pre embark tab views for elevation and elevation change rate to try to visualize what the embark might look like.

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 12, 2017, 05:18:30 am »

I'm playing fully vanilla (clean DF, no DFHack, Dwarf Therapist and in ASCII - I like playing it that way), so I'll check tab views, thanks for the tip! Already generated a nice world with dwarves fully claiming a mirthful biome, goblins building towers in north pole glaciers (both normal and evil glacier biomes) and across the world, several sand deserts and rocky wastelands, tiny land outcrops, islands and penninsulas in the middle of ocean (named by RNG as The Certain Sea...). I'll check elevation at one of those land outcrops or penninsulas, but a seaside cliff evil embark should be possible to get as well.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 12, 2017, 05:26:46 am »

If using vanilla and wanting hueg 129x129 world, I'd rec using perfect world and then tweaking it with world painter to paint some max elevation mountainranges right next to coast. You'll be able to embark on spots where mountain, ocean and third biome meet.

That said, I find the mountains created thus tend to be somewhat sloping as well. Only rivers gorges or tube-only volcanoes are completely straight and flat, though you can find on rare occasions angles in excess of 60°.

Also, dwarves shouldn't claim good biomes - I'd doublecheck it (and look at legends to figure out what happened there).
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 05:30:11 am by Fleeting Frames »

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: July 12, 2017, 05:39:06 am »

By claiming it I meant that they completely cut it out of other civ's reach. They built all around the mirthful biome on neighboring wilderness, nearly completely surrounding it and even getting some trade routes between fortresses going through serene or mirthful biomes at places.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: July 12, 2017, 06:22:16 am »

Heh. Civs can jump sometimes, though, yknow?

Nobody builds sites on good non-forest regions, though, so moot point.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 12, 2017, 04:42:06 pm »

I'm playing fully vanilla (clean DF, no DFHack, Dwarf Therapist and in ASCII - I like playing it that way), so I'll check tab views, thanks for the tip! Already generated a nice world with dwarves fully claiming a mirthful biome, goblins building towers in north pole glaciers (both normal and evil glacier biomes) and across the world, several sand deserts and rocky wastelands, tiny land outcrops, islands and penninsulas in the middle of ocean (named by RNG as The Certain Sea...). I'll check elevation at one of those land outcrops or penninsulas, but a seaside cliff evil embark should be possible to get as well.

The tag [PERIODICALLY_ERODE_EXTREMES:1] makes the worldgen periodically come through and replace (most/many...) walls with ramps.

a) replacing this with [PERIODICALLY_ERODE_EXTREMES:0] will maintain some more cliffs in your world
b) I suspect rerunning worldgen using same seeds and only this changed should give you the same world (apart from more cliffs/less slopes).  Could be worth testing...

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 13, 2017, 06:44:50 am »

Re-genned the world with periodically erode extreme cliffs set to No and it worked, giving me more cliffs. The world ended up a bit different as I tweaked some parameters, but I've found a cool embark spot - seaside cliffs, human settlements and necro tower as neighbors. I'm keeping the previous world cause it had interesting embark spot as well - evil cliffs and cliffs in untamed wilds biome separated by a small stretch of sea.

Once again, thanks for help guys!

vvAve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: July 26, 2017, 01:46:42 pm »

Is there any way to reduce amount of elven civs or maybe limit them to savage surroundings?
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 27