Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 27

Author Topic: DF v0.43.03+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 86070 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: DF v0.43.03+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #345 on: September 07, 2017, 01:32:00 am »

Seven layers of dolomite? Unusual. 83000 magnetite..That's what, a 4x4 embark?

Well, not interested myself, but to get worldgen parameters after generating in vanilla, you need to go into legends mode and export parameters with p. If you already started playing, you need to make a copy of the save and retire the copy to get to legends first.

Then you also need to take a screenshot of the embark location and upload the image and share it with us so we know where it is. Mind the blinking yellow Xes.

Note that mods change how world generates.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 01:33:44 am by Fleeting Frames »

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: September 07, 2017, 01:38:57 am »

Yes, it is a standard 4x4 embark. Thanks for the explanation. I will share if someone wants it.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: September 07, 2017, 03:58:36 am »

If you're using DFHack it's even easier than Fleeting Frames said. You can invoke "open-legends" from the DFHack command prompt to get to legends mode while playing. From there hit 'p' to export the parameters (as FF said), and then just exit Legends Mode normally.
To make screenshots you need a copy, though, so you can just as well use that to get to Legends Mode.

Also note that if the world was generated after multiple attempts, different OSs tend to generate different results (as does Windoze 32 and 64 bit). Personally I'm not interested as I make/tune my own worlds, though.

dreadnact

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: September 12, 2017, 12:33:05 pm »

A 3x3 volcano embark called Violent Crest, into the side of a mountain creating very steep cliffs around the volcano opening, in a small world (65x65).

Vegetation: A Few trees and shrubs, some bearing fruit.
Aquifer: No
Water source: No (you will need to get water from the caverns)
Sand: None
Iron: Some, see dfhack prospect below for more details.

I have also uploaded a zip with the save and more screenshots to DFFD: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13087

Embark Location:

Some nice 3d screenshots:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Worlgen parameters:

The prospect report from dfhack after running reveal:

EPM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: September 13, 2017, 01:30:42 pm »

I've been steadily refining an "ideal" worldgen for myself in preparation of the upcoming release. Naturally, since worldgen situations will vary greatly as a result of the artifact release, this has been focused mainly on geography. However, more broad civilization tweaking has also taken effect. Manipulating the size of available settlement regions and cranking up the good/evil biome numbers, as well as greatly amplifying the default savagery levels then tracing out "routes" of reduced savagery, has led to much more controllable civilizations.

Of particular note, the most influential factor for coaxing towers reliably out of a world (some as early as year 17!)  was simply adding the [DEATH] sphere to the dwarven pantheon in their entity file. Considering the game motto is Losing is Fun, in retrospect it almost seems bizarre that dwarves don't have a god of death by default. I know I certainly hope for a suitable death for my forts, and regularly conduct rituals to avert Death by FPS. With this in mind, I'm going to continue to tinker with other entity-level modifications to influence worldgen results. A drawback to this, however, is the usual "necromancers write a thousand books every year" clutter.

Meanwhile, to deter the usual total goblin takeover of the world while still keeping them an active, threatening force, I instituted an actual maximum age and sharply cut into their population/site cap numbers.

Otherwise, some modding was done for the sake of framerate. For example, I adhere to a single cavern layer, because maps including more than one quickly slow down into the dreaded 10-25 FPS range even with a strict population cap of 40. So I adjusted the underground flora and fauna to spawn on the first cavern layer. Meanwhile, trees causing pathfinding issues was something I've tried to counteract by reducing the heavy branches and doubling average tree height, thus making it more difficult for dwarves to end up in a "I've gotten up and can't fall!" LifeAlert situation. Although an alternative (and extremely dwarven) solution was just setting the surface on fire, with a few elven merchants included for good measure. Note to self: build future trade depots out of lignite or charcoal.

But this has begun leaving the realm of worldgen cookbookery. All the same, a few common desires for worldgens can be accomplished with various minor tweaks to the raws. The [RELIGION_SPHERE:DEATH] addition to dwarves in entity_standard.txt is probably my recommendation for least intrusive for the most benefit, followed by setting a MAXAGE for goblins in their creature file.

So back on topic, how do I add more rivers to my world with World Painter or PerfectWorld? I've got high rainfall over mountain tiles and their surrounding tiles, a high number of river starts, and low drainage in various directions around those mountains, but very few actual rivers and brooks.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: September 13, 2017, 02:00:48 pm »

You didn't need to mod your underground species; they get placed in upper caverns if lower ones are absent.

Rivers and lakes work off relative elevation. Longer text here. If you search this topic for river, you will find more vjek's river canyon maps.

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: September 18, 2017, 05:28:01 am »

I have done a few searches, can't work out how to use these presets ?

Nevermind I got it ;)

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: September 20, 2017, 12:33:38 am »

How do I turn off aquifiers in advanced world gen ?

Or can they not be messed with at all? Would be nice to be able to make them small etc..
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 01:25:47 am by thefinn »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: September 20, 2017, 02:32:23 am »

I believe turning aquifers off is an INI setting (it's available through the LNP UI, which indicates it's a file setting).
I've done some investigation of aquifers, and as far as I can tell they always appear when an aquifer supporting layer is present at a depth of 3 or deeper (provided aquifers are enabled, of course). Since aquifers run in layers (with the exception of puddingstone, which is found as clusters in an aquifer bearing layer stone), you can only get "small" aquifers by embarking on boundaries between geo biomes so you have an aquifer on one side but not one on the other (it can also be at a different level on the other side, allowing a zig-zag bypass) using vanilla DF.

If hacking, I believe DFHack can be used to create aquifer properties in individual tiles.

I don't know what DF would do if you modded the raws to contain cluster materials to support aquifers and had these clusters appear in non aquifer supporting layers.

It can also be noted that DF allows a maximum number of soil levels depending on elevation, so if the in-game elevation* is 140 or higher you should never get any aquifer in the soil (only in sandstone or conglomerate), as you should have at most two soil levels.

* For whatever reason, DF uses one elevation metric for embarks and another one for PSVs.

Finally, DF's pre embark information isn't as useful as it ought to be. The aquifer, soil depth, metal, flux, and clay indicators appear to be based on the raw geo biome information and does not appear to take soil erosion (the elevation effect) or magma sea level cutoff into consideration. This means it can report things that fails to materialize when embarking.

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: September 20, 2017, 03:35:41 am »

Yeah that's too iffy. I am trying for biomes with decent minerals right next to evil areas, trying for "small aquifiers" like that is just gonna be way too rare.

(Really wanted the option to close up the entrance and just grow from births ;)).

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: September 20, 2017, 07:27:48 am »

You can manipulate your embark to tweak features using DFHack tools. My biomemanipulator allows you to change the geo biomes, for instance, and geomanipulator allows you to replace the geo biome of a single world tile to be what you want it to be. Regionmanipulator allows you to select which mid level tiles to take their biomes from which surrounding world level tiles, so you can build an embark with two (or more) geo biomes. Make sure one has at most 2 levels of soil and neither conglomerate nor sandstone and you've got a safe path downwards (I generally embark with full aquifers, though. It's usually not that much of a problem to penetrate an aquifer when you've learned double-slit method (or the Portable Drain based one). An early attack from undead is usually not too much of a problem either, since you can dig out an area in the soil layer before tackling the aquifer (I use that area for underground farming and workshops anyway. You ought to strive to have your safe area two levels below ground, though, as that eliminates the cut-down-tree-results-in-a-hole-in-the-roof issue.
Since I generally play dead civs my fortresses are based on the starting 7 plus the two mandatory migrant waves. Anything beyond that has to come through births or petitions.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: September 20, 2017, 09:47:45 am »

Actually you can't get rid of aquifers with an init setting.  There's two methods I've used in the past:

1) use the toggle provided by PyLNP - need one of the LNP packs...
2) mod the RAW's, either before or after generation

Both of these (and more) are described at http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Aquifer#The_modding_method.

These days I just use the embark finder to avoid if I'm of that persuasion.  It is not entirely reliable, but mainly, I think, because the search only considers the base world tile biome?  :-\

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: September 20, 2017, 11:14:35 am »

As far as I've seen, DF's info shows the geo biome derived info for the tiles of the embark belonging to that geo biome (with the deficiencies I mentioned above). If you want to see the info for the other tiles of the embark you have to move your view to that part with F1/F2/F3...F9.
However, it's not reasonably possible to tell before embark whether a mid level tile will contain a bit of biome encroaching from a neighboring mid level tile, because that info isn't generated until embark (there is some info at the mid level tile level that might allow you to draw the conclusion that you may get some encroachment, but it's still under RNG control (and probably too unreliable to even look at for that purpose).

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: September 20, 2017, 12:02:23 pm »

The LNP has an option in the launcher to disable aquifers, which I believe modifies a portion of the init file. It requires a regen, though. Alternatively, you can use the DFHack command "drainaquifer" to remove the aquifer from your existing embark, and or use the tiletypes command with "PAINT AQUA 0" or "PAINT AQUA 1" to remove or add the aquifer flag to a specific tile or tiles.
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

EPM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: September 21, 2017, 01:39:53 pm »

I'm curious if people have been making much use of World Painter's ability to import a 257x257 bitmap for the elevation map. If so, would you mind posting your bitmaps?

The only one I've made so far was an experimental grid of pure black and white:

Otherwise, what sort of general continent-scale shapes have you observed producing given results? I've grown to favor a world of many separate landmasses connected by narrow, high-savagery landbridges, with smaller islands in between the "spokes".

Edit:

Let me just check my understanding here.

What I'm trying to make:
A 2x2 or 3x3 embark.
One cavern layer, with as tall caverns as possible (high passage density is also preferred)
A volcano, any elevation acceptable.
A brook or other surface river.
^ Alternatively: an aquifer with multiple elevations accessible, to instead dig my own.
2+ Tower neighbors, as I want to be in the middle of a necromancer feud.
HFS, more candy the better.

To my understanding, a tile of high volcanism and rainfall with low drainage is what would encourage the river (high drainage for aquifer), with higher erosion cycle count to facilitate the river and lead to more varying elevation. And disable "periodically erode extremes" to retain the disjointedness in elevation, I think? I know (or think I know) that having a really tall elevation in the region tile while embarking on a low-elevation tile is what you need to stretch out the caverns, and might also do the same for the magma sea/candy tubes? Or do I have that backwards?

I can't figure out how to actually pack these elements together into a tight, FPS-efficient embark yet, but I think I'm making progress...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 02:19:20 pm by EPM »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 27