Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27]

Author Topic: DF v0.43.03+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 86204 times)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Re: DF v0.43.03+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #390 on: February 16, 2018, 09:17:18 am »

Query for all you chefs; Does world size affect FPS (significantly if at all) when playing, or just embark size?  I know a Medium world with 40 civs will start chugging around 180 years or so, but don't know if that impacts the actual gameplay.  The conundrum I face is that Small worlds don't offer enough geographic variation, while Medium worlds almost never have Towers due to the high civ & beast count.  I also struggle to find a civ-balance in Small worlds; one civ (even Dwarves) typically run away with 20k+ population while all others have less than 5k.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: March 03, 2018, 07:22:06 pm »

I don't think it should affect fort mode much? I have no actual data, but I would think that the things happening in the background are fairly light on system resources. After all, a raid slows nothing down at all, and isn't the same process working in the background to generate other world events?

Maybe if you had like 100 civs on a large map.

ALSO folks, I found a cool map feature in my recently-generated world. It's a huge evil-aligned mountain range with a good-aligned lake in the center, and a neutral island on that. Gonna have some adventures in this world.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: March 03, 2018, 11:37:54 pm »

Larger worlds have more off-site activities that happen and get reported during seasonal visitations. This increases memory overhead, so for resource constrained systems (like my chromebook...) smaller worlds DO INDEED run smoother, because more memory is free for fortmode structures. (And or, not compactified into oblivion with zram, again, like happens on my chromebook. Admittedly, this is better than an out of memory error, but going from 12-sh fps down to 5 or less "instantly" when the process starts getting zram pages is a real downer.)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: March 05, 2018, 01:38:01 pm »

Oof that IS quite the effect on FPS.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

DaSwayza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Extreme World
« Reply #394 on: March 22, 2018, 01:12:17 pm »

I am looking to create a world with temperatures to both extremes, multiple good and evil savage biomes, preferably with one large continent and somewhat livability for civilizations. If anyone can point me in the right direction with the Advanced Parameters, I think I can figure out the rest, I think my problem is with the meshing. Thanks!

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: March 22, 2018, 01:25:23 pm »

I am looking to create a world with temperatures to both extremes, multiple good and evil savage biomes, preferably with one large continent and somewhat livability for civilizations. If anyone can point me in the right direction with the Advanced Parameters, I think I can figure out the rest, I think my problem is with the meshing. Thanks!

So, in terms of the mesh, a larger mesh size (16x16 verses 4x4) gives you a finger grid (smaller grid squares). I'd say if you're looking for real extremes, set the temperature mesh size to 16x16 or 32x32, with a world of, say, small or larger, and then set the weighted values to 1/0/0/0/1 (that will generate only extreme cold and extreme hot, with the bits in the middle smoothed out on a gradient). You can do the same for savagery.

For good and evil, I don't think you can control those directly, but what you can do is turn up the minimum evil squares per small/medium/large region and the minimum good squares per small/medium/large region. That will give you a better chance of your evil-ish biomes becoming evil and so on, I think. For multiple good and evil biomes, the best you can do I think is make a patchwork with a more biomes than usual, and then  just by the law of averages you'll get more good and evil biomes (along with more neutral biomes). You can do that by turning up the variance on things like elevation, drainage, and rainfall, and then turning up the maximum number of sub-regions if you start getting rejection spam.

For livability of civilization I think your best bet is turning down the number of beasts and megabeasts. To get it all on one continent, I'd raise the minimum elevation - anything under 100 will be ocean. If you're using PerfectWorld, you can adjust the % below sea level and preview it to make sure it looks good.
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Extreme World
« Reply #396 on: March 22, 2018, 09:08:18 pm »

I know most civs won't settle in savage areas, so you might want to handle that with the embark search instead of meshes (fewer megabeasts might also help). Also, let us know if you find an embark that raised undead (that isn't a search option for embarks?) and has unicorns. Better with a volcano, but whatever. Sounds like that's what you're going for.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: March 23, 2018, 03:52:47 am »

Why do people keep resurrecting the old thread instead of the new one (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=168543.0)?

Searching for reanimation is not a vanilla option. The embark-assistant DFHack plugin (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169634.0) has such a search option, but it doesn't work properly yet (fixed in the next stable DFHack release).
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27]