Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 27

Author Topic: DF v0.43.03+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 86292 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: DF v0.43.03+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2016, 04:06:12 pm »

For goblins, might do it like this:

100 savagery - 0 savagery - 65  savagery.

I think they should spawn in the 0 savagery tile and then expand first all the 65 savagery tiles (some of which will be untamed wilds...or terrifying, here). If let run for few centuries, they will then create outpost on the 100 savagery tile, which may mess with the intended "start place closest" idea.

And yes, including fruit. Boozeable fruit trees can be wholly covered with any (Dry) Tropical Forest (mango, guava) + Any Temperate.

There are fair few fruits that are edible but not brewable that would require more specific biomes, such as almonds or saguaros. The worst thing to like by far has to be cacao tree fruit, only found in tropical moist breadleaf, and only cookable.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 04:16:50 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2016, 09:24:23 am »

I'm looking for several worlds:

1. A single-tile island on the biggest possible world, preferably with no other land around. Inspired by Monster Island. I'm pretty sure a civilization must have existed at some point, but I suppose having them die out after a while should be trivial.

2. A world consisting of several small islands. Civilized races, including dwarves, would be preferable. I've managed this one with elf/goblin civilizations, but can't figure out how to include mountain areas without turning everything into a garbled mess of water and earth.

3. A world where kobolds are the only remaining civilized race. No other requirements: kobolds just need to have outlived the other races.

4. A world with lots of necromancer towers, preferably also with many evil biomes.

Thanks in advance!

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2016, 10:32:33 am »

... 4. A world with lots of necromancer towers, preferably also with many evil biomes.

Thanks in advance!
Here's one that was reasonably quick to generate, although it's not as high as it could be, it's pretty good.  I just modified a different world I had used recently.
This worldgen typically generates 6-7 towers in 1000 years.  It's not 100% consistent, I think mostly because evil biome effects can cause some mild changes.
If you want more towers consistently, let me know and I'll try a different approach, but without evil biomes.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2016, 10:41:23 am »

1. Do you mean a single world level tile or embark level tile? The first one should be easy to make using the world painter (although it will probably spill out a little), while the latter is a sought out feature in any world, but not yet found, I think. Also, why the largest possible world if it's going to be full of water? A lot of FBs? Note that I don't think you can have any titans or (semi) megabeasts in the world, since they require caves to start in and caves take up a whole (sort of) world level tile, blocking the dwarves out from settling there.

2. Again, that can be created via world painter. I'm working on one where goblins and dwaves share one section, with elves and humans on separate ones. If things work as planned/intended, embarking on a "water" tile will allow access to all other races, while they're all separated until then.

3. I'd try to do that by setting up a large number of civs to spawn, but restrict all civs but the kobolds to a single one, and then hope for the wipeouts to target the "others". If using world painter, I'd place the other races so they can't expand anywhere. An even easier alternative, if it exists, is to set all races except kobolds to 0 civs before the start.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2016, 11:58:25 am »

1. Do you mean a single world level tile or embark level tile? The first one should be easy to make using the world painter (although it will probably spill out a little), while the latter is a sought out feature in any world, but not yet found, I think. Also, why the largest possible world if it's going to be full of water? A lot of FBs? Note that I don't think you can have any titans or (semi) megabeasts in the world, since they require caves to start in and caves take up a whole (sort of) world level tile, blocking the dwarves out from settling there.

2. Again, that can be created via world painter. I'm working on one where goblins and dwaves share one section, with elves and humans on separate ones. If things work as planned/intended, embarking on a "water" tile will allow access to all other races, while they're all separated until then.

3. I'd try to do that by setting up a large number of civs to spawn, but restrict all civs but the kobolds to a single one, and then hope for the wipeouts to target the "others". If using world painter, I'd place the other races so they can't expand anywhere. An even easier alternative, if it exists, is to set all races except kobolds to 0 civs before the start.

1. I'll try out the world painter. The largest possible world thing is indeed to increase the number of titans and such possible. Not all megabeasts require caves: titans for one may stay in shrines. Even if they did require caves, those can appear in non-mountainous areas too (experienced this firsthand).

2 + 3. Again, will try world painter. Your idea sounds interesting!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 01:15:09 pm by Derro »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2016, 12:57:09 pm »

1. Well, if the world is covered in water, there's no place left for any caves at all, and I don't know what would happen with underwater shrines. There are both mountain and non mountain caves, but all of them require dry land (and caves are not the same as caverns). I'm probably misunderstanding something in what you're trying to achieve, though.

And now something completely different:
Is it possible to find out what the parameters of a map tile of a generated map is, i.e. the ones relevant to world generation: Elevation, Rainfall, Drainage, Savagery, Temperature? DFHack allowed me to probe a tile on an embark, and that provided Savagery and current temperature, as well as a region id. Legends mode allows me to export various maps, including maps of most or all of the parameters, but the maps are color coded without a key. Is there a better way to get the info and/or is there somewhere where the exported map keys are provided (my wiki searches have failed to find them if that's the case)?

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2016, 01:19:24 pm »

1. Well, if the world is covered in water, there's no place left for any caves at all, and I don't know what would happen with underwater shrines. There are both mountain and non mountain caves, but all of them require dry land (and caves are not the same as caverns). I'm probably misunderstanding something in what you're trying to achieve, though.

I mixed up caves and caverns there; sorry for that. I'm intending to create a world with as many megabeasts as possible, packed together in a very small area. I won't be creating a world without dry land, but with as little dry land as possible.

I know there may not be any caves. However, that doesn't matter: titans can still spawn in the handful of shrines on the dry land.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2016, 01:51:43 pm »

OK, I think that's been referred to as Monster Island, and such an embark might be provided further up in this thread. Otherwise, I think vjek has one up the sleeve.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2016, 02:24:20 pm »

re: a monster island.

Hilariously, this works:
and produces (snipped for brevity):
I'll try and find something a little more reasonable than 66k units.. heheh

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2016, 02:28:34 pm »

1. Do the original parameters discussed in monster island and megabeast brawl thread no longer work?
I just ran
and generated a world after 12 rejections. (in 42, granted)

(these are obviously not the most maxed out parameters - lot of land in that pocket region - but it could be interesting if the other ones no longer work to hunt down why)

2. How small islands are we speaking about here?

See How to Generate Small Islands if you want "smallest".

3. I had this happen once with dwarves/kobolds. Basically, kobolds got put on an isolated place so no civs or megabeasts attacked them, while dwarves dug deep and got eaten by FB. Should the goal be just kobolds alive, I'd make islandy world bunch of non-plain/non-forests with bit of mountains and set demon number to 0, so only civilizations that can spawn are suicidal dwarves and kobolds.

Of course, there is a bit of gap between "it is possible" and "here's the parameters". Sorry!

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2016, 02:51:00 pm »

Ok, this is a bit more reasonable.. only 2k units, and generates to 1000 years pretty quickly.  FPS seems reasonable, too, even with so many beasts around.  Could probably push it to 10k for semi/megabeasts, but meh, this gives you the idea of what's possible anyway.
Spoiler: monster_island2 (click to show/hide)
One embark I chose at random had four lairs in a 3x2. :P  The cyclops, minotaurs and ettins started fighting immediately, which was entertaining.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2016, 03:03:51 pm »

Everyone, thanks for posting this! I know what I'll be spending my vacation doing now.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2016, 02:01:22 pm »

I made a third version of this, this morning.
Spoiler: MONSTER_ISLAND3 (click to show/hide)
This removes the need for volcanism/volcano's, if that's desired.  This also just has megabeasts and titans, although you could add semi-megabeasts in as well without issue.
If you don't have 1000 year history, dragons aren't full grown, hence the 1000 year worldgen duration.

Typical populations would be:
6: Kêshshakoltar, "Swelteredgilds", lair
   253 dragons
7: Katengdof Kashmezesxac, "Skinneddented the Royal Evisceration", shrine
   473 bronze colossuses
8: Hodeuce, "Lakescall", lair
   491 rocs
9: Kodosnusm, "Knightstench", lair
   247 hydras
10: Zilarbobe, "Championraunch", lair
   256 hydras
11: Ebbaknganiz, "The Branded Furnaces", lair
   250 dragons
12: Igathber, "Scrapedearthen", shrine
   29 bronze colossuses

and most of the sites/lairs/shrines are on the small single region area just south of the original dwarven civ mountain.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2016, 05:51:37 am »

Goblins definitely spawn on evil tiles even if they're at peace with calm, but an issue is that evil is slightly random - so the size of those two biomes for beak dogs/ogres would be better if they were not used by humans or elves. On that note, all connected plains and all connected forests+taiga seem to be considered 1 region in legends mode, so elves and goblins pretty much have to have different expansion areas to guarantee evil areas for goblin-meant home in a single gen.
Whoops, I guess I wasn't quite correct.

Ran a test gen, and noticed goblins got beak dogs and trolls, at about 20-23% population of their dark pits/fortresses, always in equal numbers - despite there being no tile of evil or wetland in the world, nor any outdoor beak dog populations. So while wetland could give goblins alligators perhaps, they don't need it for beak dogs (though yeah, spot-spawned offshoot settlements are tiny 100ish affairs, with thousands funneled into few main sites), though probably do need evil plains for ogres.

Though I suppose I forgot about the wetland tubers when listing all biomes for crops. Oops, 5 biomes required for every crop then :v
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 06:12:12 am by Fleeting Frames »

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2016, 04:59:49 pm »

Hey guys, just coming back into the game from a long break. I know you must get this all the time, but I'm looking for a small world with large goblin populations, which will attack me, often. Only other requirement is that the world/site has iron, preferably with a healthy dwarf civ.

It would also be cool if there was a site with cool topography, high minerals, no flowing water, no aquifers, but with water in the caverns. All this is just gravy though :)

Every time I try to gen such a world, my dwarf civ is dying, or everything seems fine but then I never get more than 0-1 sieges.

Any help (or a point in the right direction) would be greatly appreciated
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 27