Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 27

Author Topic: DF v0.43.03+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 86281 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: DF v0.43.03+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2016, 02:44:10 pm »

If that is supposed to be single region tile, I've found only volcanoes can reliably create that tiny mountains at given elevation. I think about 250 elevation for pre-volcano land?

Unfortunately, they have about same fatness behaviour, really.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2016, 02:55:21 pm »

I... Could ask Toady one the great and holy...
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2016, 03:06:08 pm »

Toady has very great understanding of world gen, but with the different generations across OSes, unknown compiler optimizations and history reproduction problems it is not like it is possible for him to point to a seed for given local map.

That said, if you're not wanting to regen the world a lot of times - btw, command line DF helps here - adjusting world with dfhack is possible, as Fortification of Nuts two threads ago can attest.

Don't know even the limits of the tools for that, though it did get 9 biomes, volcano and river into single embark.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 03:08:04 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2016, 03:31:42 pm »

I honestly have no idea how dfhack works. Please guide me to xo e kind of tutorial. Please.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2016, 04:10:03 pm »

dfhack is basically mod and modding plugin interface. The thread mentions it was done with gui/gm-editor, I'd also guess the rainfall/drainage was edited with it by applying at biomes gotten from probe command....And that's about the sum of what I know, very little that it is. You may be better off asking in dfhack thread.

Myself, for when I want to get local-map specific features, such as all 4 5 biomes for all boozes in single embark?
Minimize the randomness of other things I want and then just repeatedly regen until finding one that works.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2016, 10:51:49 pm »

Found this while look for Imic's embark...
Kind of neat, there's been requests for similar embarks in the past.

Deinos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 05, 2016, 01:48:50 am »

Is there a way to gain any control over where megabeasts and night trolls will be? I have noticed they tend to cluster outside of habitations, with a hundred or so night trolls (all of which who hate each other) crammed into a tiny house.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 05, 2016, 02:53:54 am »

Megabeasts will prefer caves for habitation, if any are empty.
Their placement is dependent on seed, but you can pigeonhole mountain caves by placing mountains exactly where and in the amount you want them.

Unfortunately, dwarves as the only race need mountains in addition to flatter ground. Not a problem if you don't mind them being right next door to megabeasts, though.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 12, 2016, 03:38:02 pm »

Another dead civ myth shattered: I've got a dead civ which showed a cave as source on embark (and Legends Viewer shows two caves, and a bunch of tombs belonging to the dwarven civ, so my eyball Mk 1 might be sloppy, with some cave animals in the civ but not sapients). In addition to that, there were over 100 dwarves in the world spread among goblin, human, and elven civs (and, I think, a necromancer or two).
The civ screen was empty on embark and got populated later with a dwarven civ without leaders, probably when a black tower neighbor popped in and out, got two migrant waves, no dwarven caravan, and no migrants in spring, so the actual dead civ signs are all there.

Whatsifsowhatsit

• Bay Watcher
  • Big geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 14, 2016, 12:39:02 pm »

Apparently, it's easy to create multiple large continents in a world with PerfectWorldDF, but I have not been able to figure out how to do it so far. (Did not find many messages in the search history either, and certainly none for the newer version(s).) I would like such a world, because it seems realistic and I might use it as inspiration for fantasy stories and the like. However, most worlds I generate naturally just kind of become strings of quasi-continents lightly attached to one another, with perhaps a couple small islands dotted around it. (I'm talking especially about the larger world maps.)

Does anybody know how to create proper continents in DF world generation? With or without the use of PerfectWorldDF or other external tools. Thanks in advance!

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 14, 2016, 06:23:07 pm »

Found this while look for Imic's embark...
Kind of neat, there's been requests for similar embarks in the past.

Any chance you still have the params/embark for that? Looks pretty neat

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 14, 2016, 06:41:48 pm »

Sure, it's this one:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Fair warning though, I have no idea if the world, civs or embark are viable. :)  You may have to adjust a fair bit to get it to be 'fun'.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 14, 2016, 09:09:48 pm »

Apparently, it's easy to create multiple large continents in a world with PerfectWorldDF, but I have not been able to figure out how to do it so far. (Did not find many messages in the search history either, and certainly none for the newer version(s).) I would like such a world, because it seems realistic and I might use it as inspiration for fantasy stories and the like. However, most worlds I generate naturally just kind of become strings of quasi-continents lightly attached to one another, with perhaps a couple small islands dotted around it. (I'm talking especially about the larger world maps.)

Does anybody know how to create proper continents in DF world generation? With or without the use of PerfectWorldDF or other external tools. Thanks in advance!
You can import your own heightmap into PWDF (earth as example), which is what they meant.

It works by using the vanilla pre-set value interface - you can also use it to paint with point/square/cube when going into advanced world gen. Somewhat tedious though good precision; I use a worksheet instead.

Whatsifsowhatsit

• Bay Watcher
  • Big geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2016, 07:27:47 am »

You can import your own heightmap into PWDF (earth as example), which is what they meant.

Ah, fair enough, right. I did notice that option, but then, I haven't been able to find a tool online to generate heightmaps with multiple continents either. (And I'd rather not draw/design it myself, which is both more cumbersome and less fun, and also I wouldn't get very good results I don't think.) Do you have any suggestions in that respect?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 15, 2016, 08:16:47 am »

Hm...Well, you can take an existing heightmap - two posts below there is a resource linked for them - and paint some black areas for oceans.

Or you could try adjusting the elevation cusps / sea level in PWDF for areas with multiple mountain ranges.

And heh, yeah, the islands painted manually tend to be either rectangles or circles if one doesn't go out of their way to fix it.

Still, I assume you've already tried _ISLANDS world gens, right? I find that with those unchanged vanilla options I do end up with at least some wholly separated islands with their own civs on top.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 27