Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 27

Author Topic: DF v0.43.03+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 86216 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: DF v0.43.03+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #150 on: August 27, 2016, 09:37:23 pm »

Yeah, if you want a specific situation from older v0.4+ worldgen thread, you can just gen in older version and then copy the region folder to whatever newer version you want to play.

Btw, I've never seen shrubland or forest without any murky pools. Can always drain/floor/wall them off, but if you want soil walls where they were, you're probably* going to need dfhack's tiletypes command.

*I have a theory that cast obsidian cave-in might transform into soil on maps where cave-ins transform, but untested.

Akoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 27, 2016, 09:55:05 pm »

I'm using the latest version of Dwarf Fortress right now. If I could generate a world for that, it'd be great.

All that I really want is flat terrain where I can build a nice, above ground area plus sanctuary for the unicorns. The dwarves will have their underground realm as well, of course! If there are any interesting features, that's icing on the cake.

Of course, for the story idea of the fortress to work, it needs to have an evil neighbor with whom to do battle! I've been trying to settle next to a necromancer's tower, though those are hard to come by and often not in ideal environments. Goblins are an easier option to find, but somehow, not as interesting an enemy for my noble kingdom of dwarves with unicorns. ;)

Akoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 29, 2016, 12:29:39 am »

Hi all,

Might anyone please be able to help me generate a world containing an embark point with the following:

1. Flat landscape without pools, suitable to constructing a large above-ground portion of a city.

2. Neighboring a necromancer's tower or other source of evil threats.

3. Neighbors of other species would be fairly nice.

My main problem has been getting an embark point suited to the above ground construction, while also managing to score useful minerals and such underground. Even with aquifers turned off, I usually end up with the problem of pools still being present and ruining the prospect of a good looking city design.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 29, 2016, 04:37:36 am »

@Akato:
You can build floors (and walls) over pools, so I don't see them ruining the design unless you're hell bent on having regular rows of trees growing along your streets (with dehydrated dorfs hanging in them, most likely). You can also obsidianize pools (still won't allow you to get trees there, though).

Otherwise, badlands/desert with very low rainfall won't get pools.

Akoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 31, 2016, 05:31:40 pm »

So, back with another world generation question for you folks!

I've generated several worlds now under the Large Region profile, and usually let them develop to year 100-150 before checking on embark worthiness. However, I seem to be having terrible luck with getting Towers to appear. I do need my necromantic nemeses to have as neighbors!

Are there any parameters I can tweak in the advanced world creation settings to better encourage Tower appearance? I don't want them blanketing the land, just a few of them appearing early on so that I have something to work with.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 31, 2016, 09:30:34 pm »

Towers don't go to war with other civs, so you don't have to worry about that.

They're caused by peeps becoming scared about death after war as a rule (as long as there's a god with secret of life and death they can pray for). As such, lots of mortal civs fighting = lots of towers.

Secret number acts more as a soft cap. (There are circumstances like the secrets of life and death being stored in a public library that kinda mess with it, for instance.)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 01, 2016, 04:36:42 am »

And a longer history provides more time for towers to appear (which obviously doesn't help with getting them early...). Upping the number of secrets can help a bit, though.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 05, 2016, 05:26:58 pm »

I've been trying to get an embark with a reanimating biome and unicorns, preferably with flux. I've had good luck finding embarks that have both good and evil biomes on every world I've generated. However, I've noticed that the world generator likes to put good tiles all on ocean or swamp, and evil on mountain or glacier. Is that normal, or due to changes (increases) I've made to the number of tiles of both good and evil biomes?

Also, why is reanimating something we can't search for or at least see prior to embark?

If anyone has a seed to use, I'd also accept necromancer-based reanimation. That's just too unreliable to try to generate most of the time.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 05, 2016, 08:25:59 pm »

...There was Undead Unicorn discussion literally just on this page, and last page, and page before that, though knowing if a biome reanimates needs a test, yes.

Reanimation in specific? Not something I keep track of, but if you're willing to use older gens, I have bookmarked Evil Goblin Embark (feat. husked reanimated unicorns)

Why we can't see? Nobody has written a dfhack plugin for that yet, and doesn't exist in vanilla :v

Akoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 07, 2016, 05:25:25 pm »

I come bearing a woldgen request, please! This is actually intended more for adventure mode, but who knows? Might well use it for a fortress, too.

Although it may be complex to create (I have no idea), the traits desired are fairly straightforward ...

1. Medium to Large world

2. All civilizations present

3. Diversity of sites, so that an adventurer can have ... well, lots of adventure. Ruins of old civilizations, cavern systems, necromancer towers, vaults, caves, so on and so forth. Sprinkling the world with plenty of those interesting points would offer a lot of Fun for an adventurer.

... And, that's about it. Would anyone happen to have the parameters for something like this, please? :)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 08, 2016, 12:17:44 am »

Hm. I don't really play adventure mode (less than tenth of my time in legends, which is less than tenth of my time in fort mode), but what's wrong with default medium/large region with maybe added caves, secrets, doubled+ civilizations and semimegabeasts(for minotaurs)?

You could also ask in adventure mode forum, as they're likely to have their own favourite worldgens to explore in.

Akoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 11, 2016, 10:20:29 pm »

Hi all,

By chance, does anyone have any worldgens saved which spawn cool cavern locales?

I'm looking to build my kingdom in the cavern levels, but my efforts to spawn cool ones have been lacking. Obviously, open and with farmland/resources is a good thing! I don't mind if there are hostile neighboring civilizations. In fact, a neighboring tower would be nice. One day, one of my forts will pick up necromancy!

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 12, 2016, 01:20:02 am »

Can anyone suggest some tips for creating worlds with many small biomes?

I spent a bit of time a day or so ago trying to do so but did not have great success.  I intially upped the x and y variances for temperature, rainfall and drainage (3200 all round), along with the maximum subregion count (5000)  (=endless rejections) and then toned things down to 202 all around for the variances and increasing (via text editing the worldgen file) the subregion count to 20000 which led to valid generations after about roughly 100 rejections on average.  Unfortunately the worlds generated did not have markedly more biomes. at least the way I was hoping.  This was with a small world (my desired size) and standard settings otherwise except for frequent ores and the three major monster types increased to 32 a piece.  I didn't mess with the rejection settings, the desired counts, or meshes mainly because I couldn't get my head around what they would do (thought I was playing it safe...).

What I really want to achieve is to be able to generate worlds that regularly let me embark on 4 or more biomes with a 3x3 embark size.  And when I say that I mean after narrowing down my possible embark locations by other criteria (like having access to all races, etc.).  Now I think using regular worldgen over the years I might have achieved that once (i,e. 4 biomes) but usually I end up having to settle for 2 (and feel lucky when I occasionally squeeze in 3).

In frustration with the strangeish worlds (for example every single one generated with a single partial ocean, I have no idea why? the ocean edges counts were the same as normal worldgen...) with barely better multi-biome embarks possibilities I returned to basic world generation and found myself a two-biome embark and started to play.  So I may not apply the suggestions for a while (depending on what happens with me and this fort) but whenever my next search for a new world takes place I'd like some suggestions to try out.  Feel free to either say tweak this do that or to provide a suggested world_gen setting.  But I would like to be able to repeatedly generate worlds preferably pretty much like 'standard' apart from the increased number of biomes.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 12, 2016, 09:10:15 am »

From few pages back:
Yeah, I meant that one. The minimum x counts, outside of volcanism, good and evil, are rejection criteria rather than world modification. It'll just trash worlds till it generates one that fits - which may be never, depending on parameters/requirement.
Warning: If you start messing with the weighted ranges of a given biome frequency then be sure to tweak the corresponding minimums for those biome square counts or you are going to get mad rejections for your world. When I start messing around with things I just generally set all the minimums to zero for what ever biome it is I was tweaking. You won't get rejections that way and it's a lot easier than bothering to do all the math to tweak the minimum square counts more accurately. The minimum square counts are generally only worth setting up precisely if you are really picky about absolutely needing more than a certain number of squares of a certain type of biome for some reason. Increasing minimum square counts is a very good way to make the game start spitting out all sorts of rejected worlds at you and if you really mess it up you can actually ask the game to make an impossible world and it will reject 100% of the time. This would happen for extreme example if you asked the game to only accept worlds with a minimum number of high savagery tiles that exceeds the number of tiles in the world etc. If in doubt set the minimum square counts low or to zero.

It's generally good idea to search all worldgen threads (I know at least DF2014, .42.03+ and .34 threads) for "patchwork". First result for this thread, for instance

Otherwise, I'm atm slowly chiselling a 2x2 semi-fat 5-biome embark (atm lacking dwarven and elven visitors, region-pops booze coverage up to 86%*) in 42.06

*Fun discovery: mineral scarcity doesn't affect embark-level layout OR soil layers (noo so many other fire-clay embarks..just regular clay, now, unless I go for another 30 gens perhaps for another 2x2). Besides history, it does affect what plants can grow, though - the lowest coverage I've gotten has been 71%!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 09:15:35 am by Fleeting Frames »

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 13, 2016, 01:08:57 pm »

Just generated a world where on embark I have 7 neighbor towers.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I will definitely keep this save to play as an adventurer.
getlost.lua # How to get rid of tavern guests
function getlost ()
   local unit = dfhack.gui.getSelectedUnit (true)
   unit.flags1.forest = true
end
getlost ()
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 27