Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 27

Author Topic: DF v0.43.03+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 86285 times)

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
Re: DF v0.43.03+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #210 on: October 15, 2016, 07:10:05 pm »

There is also a DFHack command to place an aquifer, if I remember correctly, although I have never used it.  Turning erosion down should result in less rivers.
I had heard of a DFhack to remove aquifers, but not place them. Google just shows posts by sissies and elves. If there is a way to paint them, it would make things so much easier! Do you have any links with more info?

It seems that I have misremembered.  That said there may be a way to do it (depending on what the aquifer is for, I am assuming just endless water...).  With dfhack you could try 'source', 'liquids', or 'tiletypes'.  Dfhack documentation https://dfhack.readthedocs.io/en/stable/#user-manual also try running help from dfhack terminal, like help tiletypes, or once tileypes is entered, help special...

[Edit: if you get it working let us know how you did it.  ;)]
[Edit2: just saw your thread in modding...]
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 07:34:48 pm by feelotraveller »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 17, 2016, 09:57:57 am »

@TheGrimSleeper: Yes, the same can be done with other races. Humans and dwarves definitely require non-good non-evil.
However, prospering...I prefer to use some geographical distance, though still same continent.

Goblins with their demon ruler and lack of dietary requirements generally prosper and do best, even with just the starting site. It's not absolute, they can be conquered and wrecked by megabeasts, but this is the usual.

Other civs usually require more than 1 site to prosper.

Though, a major site can be a saving grace by visitors coming to stay over, or by having animalmen join the place. Dwarven fortress starts out as one, but after year 1 each new one must be at least 7 tiles from previous one, ignoring geographic obstacles or civilizations. Used that few weeks ago here.

Overall, I find you can typically get major human town by propping it up with goblin scholars and visitors.

Elves and dwarves are more difficult, haven't managed their major sites to get to 10k pop yet.

Towers require deaths. Wildlife and inter-civ conflict can suffice, but for a lot of towers you need lot of death (and civs). For this purpose, deaths from wildlife are probably insufficient, so civs need to meet each other or megabeasts.Example from few pages back.

Looking at your request, a flat volcano is the most annoying part, tbh, since that's essentially "spam a lot of volcanoes on flat surface and hope you succeed". Also, in my experience doesn't work out well with ocean nearby - never seen a flat volcano next to a beach.

The request of featherwood does kick out tundra/glacier for giant polar bears, though, so it is ideally tropical swamp (crocs,tigers) or forest (elephants,tigers) as the main biome to aim for (btw, to get all animals, you'd need 11 different biomes.)

Anyway, painted it, ran few gens till I found flat volcano with sand, clay, aquifer and flux, adjusted mineral scarcity to find iron, adjusted cavern water to get rid of lake and finally adjusted history seed for civs (went with this one - weaker goblins (~2700 sentients and ~600 beak dogs/trolls each) but 5 towers. 100 to 300 sentient pop outside dark fort. Stopped worldgen right before dwarves would fall to FB, and in 153 goblins would fall to elves....Dark elven fortress then, hehe.).

Edit: *realizes they're both temperate instead of tropical* *shrugs* Giant bears and alligators, then?

*quick test* Could also keep the same geography but tropical biomes by reducing rainfall from 100 to 75, though that results in different history. Up to you.

Spoiler: Parameters (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Prospect all (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 10:16:53 am by Fleeting Frames »

The Grim Sleeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 18, 2016, 10:21:53 am »

EPICNESS!!!
Thank you and wow. This is defiantly a world I will build a fort on.

I am also very interested in your process:
- Temperature is set to be randomized (which explains the temperate climate). Was that a specific decision, or could I paint in some tropical and polar regions to give somebody some Giant Polar bears?
- Elevation is set to be randomized. Is this part of the 'flat volcano' feature? If I set the [VOLCANO_MIN:..] to 0, will there still be tall pipes, or just the magma-sea and a whole lot of ore-poor stone?
- There appears to be a pattern to your biome layout. Could you elaborate?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 10:35:02 am by The Grim Sleeper »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 18, 2016, 11:15:13 am »

Temperature and elevation: They're both either almost 1 value or entirely 1 value (95-100 and 100, respectively), so no need for PSV. (In truth, the world I was basing this upon had no PSVs at all.). Needs high temperature (post-rainfall) for tropical areas.

(Which is where I derped, used 100 instead of 75 rainfall ^^;; Ah well, at least can fix without geography change)

Flat volcano typically happens when it's magma pipe lands way off (randomly) from the elevation volcano gives to surroundings. That lower areas get elevated less by that system and that aquifers are more common in lower elevation areas was basically happy coincidence.

(Though it can also happen if a river happens to be within 1 tile of it or lake right on top of it.)

Multiple adjacent volcanoes boost each other, which is how dwarves can spawn. If you set volcanoes to 0, they'll have no mountains to be placed on.

Pattern: Yep - medium(25-tile) evil plains for goblins(they didn't get ogres in this timeline though sadly), large good areas for elves and featherwood/embark, small neutral areas for humans and dwarves. The spiraling is cuz I was bored.

Though, few things on temperature:
 ⁎ Upping temp min and max (enough) instead of dropping max in that particular place will result in tropical, but bit different world (tested with 300-300).

⁑ Following the above, I expect if you change temp ranges for somebody to have polar bears, you'll get a different gen, which will result in you needing to do the whole "run a bunch of gens to find suitable location, adjust cavern water, adjust history" again.

(Tip: Only check if a volcano is flat if it has sand, clay, aquifer and flux already, and if it is check for flux)

That said, I find that dropping temp in 1 square with already painted temp maps tends to not change geography.

⁂ In a world with poles, you can get deadly hot and deadly cold temperatures, and 95+ is enough for the first. Though on the "bright" side, you can have freezing tropical biomes.

The Grim Sleeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 18, 2016, 12:42:10 pm »

Flat volcano typically happens when it's magma pipe lands way off (randomly) from the elevation volcano gives to surroundings. That lower areas get elevated less by that system and that aquifers are more common in lower elevation areas was basically happy coincidence.
Wait what? It can't be that just VOLCANISM:100 and ELEVATION:100/100 on the same tile give a flat volcano (if the VOLCANO_MIN: fairy drops by)? What is the hidden factor that makes them so unlikely?

Multiple adjacent volcanoes boost each other, which is how dwarves can spawn. If you set volcanoes to 0, they'll have no mountains to be placed on.
Boost what exactly? Elevation, pipe-likelyhood, pipe-height, or just strait up 'chance of pipe breaching the surface for a true volcano'?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 18, 2016, 12:54:01 pm »

The key phrase there is "way off". Ex, take this elevation shot: (3x3 area marks the spot of volcano)

There's still obvious volcanic elevation raise present (and I've seen such mountainrises land even a region tile off), but it's not as pronounced as when the tube is in the center of the raised mountain (it's more subtle elsewhere, but if there weren't any volcanoes the world would be completely flat). From the lack of seaside volcanoes I've seen, I'd hypothesize it is more sensitive to elevation changes as well, but hard to confirm.

And boost each other's elevation. The chance for a volcano to be present is always 100% if volcano min matches the number of squares with 100 volcanism, jsyk.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 12:56:40 pm by Fleeting Frames »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 28, 2016, 05:57:07 am »

Some cookbookery stuff:
It seems civs that refuse to die during world gen despite not having had any members or sites for a thousand is caused by a bug.
I've been able to push such civs (well only 200 years old) over the edge with some DFHackery, which, unfortunately, have to be performed during world gen, preferably at the stage where DF ask you whether you want the world or not:
- Start gui/gm-editor df.global.world
- go into 'entities.all' and search for the dwarven civ, which is the index of the entry whose 'type' = Civilization and 'entity_raw.code = "MOUNTAIN" (I assume there is only one dwarven civ, otherwise there will be several such entries. In my cases the index has been around 50).
- Go back to world and into the 'entity_populations' structure and find the entry whose 'civ_id' entry matches the index from the step above. It's usually at that same index, but can probably appear later in the list (my goblin civ appears later than its civ_id, for instance).
- Set the counts
  • field to 0 to kill off the "dwarves" in limbo who refuse to let go (and don't show up in Legends Mode).

- Exit gui/gm-editor and proceed to save the world as normal.
Note that it's probably harmful to do this if the civ shouldn't be dead, such as when a monarch still exists, or there is a cave or camp where refugees actually reside.

And:
I've managed to DFHack a 3*3 embark into having 9 biomes reliably. The preparation consists of ensuring that the intended world map embark tile and its surrounding 8 world map tiles have different desirable biomes (using World Painter, my tweakmap, or just pure luck). The hack step consists of manipulating the 16*16 region into containing desirable biomes in at least the 9 embark tiles, which has to be done when embarking and while the currently displayed region is the intended embark region (moving away and then back will reset everything). This script manipulated the region:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Note that the script is overkill and can be made a lot neater as well. I've embarked in the target area and verified I do have all the biomes, although I haven't yet seen enough to verify it's a complete success. Also, I suspect retiring and reclaiming may result in some trouble, as DF may very well apply the biome layout DF generates rather than the hacked one on the embark, but saving and restoring does not destroy the biome. Thus, don't try this if you intend to retire your fortress and continue with the world.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 28, 2016, 07:22:05 am »

Those are...impressive accomplishments in changing the world. The second one in particular brings up some possibilities I had dismissed as "way too hard to gen".

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 28, 2016, 08:14:57 am »

I rationalize the second modification with the fact that you should be able to get that result eventually by generate an enormous number of worlds. I think there is a seed somewhere in the structure that's used to generate the embark tiles, but I haven't found it. If I did, a better approach might be to manipulate that one until I found a seed that generated a desirable result, because that seed is probably persistent (all I need is a 3*3 with 9 different biomes anywhere. Still a large number of attempts, probably).
When it comes to getting all biomes into a single tile additional trickery would be needed (I've gotten something like 6 in my two embarks). I think I've seen the seed that's probably used for the 2 m tiles, and it might be possible to play with that one until you get a result you like. However, I don't think you can see the results without actually embarking, which is a fair bit of trouble to view a result that's probably not what you want. Another potential approach is to directly manipulate the biome offsets made visible by the biomeviewer, as that ought to allow you to specify which embark level tile you take the main biome of each of the 3*3 16*16 tiles within an embark tile from. I haven't tried to do that and I don't know if the biome on the ground follows suit, or if they might "correct themselves" on a save and reload. For the embark level, you actually need to move the embark selection (with u/m/h/k) to get DF to recompute, which normally isn't a problem, since you have to move it to get it to the correct spot anyway.

Edit: While I sometimes get glumprong and/or sliver barb on my evil biome after embarking in a manipulated region, I haven't seen any blood rains (other evil weather is disabled), so I suspect something doesn't work correctly all the way. Checking the latest embark I saw there wasn't any evil biome "naturally" at the embark level before manipulation, which might be a reason. I haven't seen any undead either, but I don't know if the biome is (or should be) reanimating.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 02:30:56 am by PatrikLundell »

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 30, 2016, 04:37:29 pm »

Edit: While I sometimes get glumprong and/or sliver barb on my evil biome after embarking in a manipulated region, I haven't seen any blood rains (other evil weather is disabled), so I suspect something doesn't work correctly all the way. Checking the latest embark I saw there wasn't any evil biome "naturally" at the embark level before manipulation, which might be a reason. I haven't seen any undead either, but I don't know if the biome is (or should be) reanimating.

Even without a reanimating biome I believe evil regions will generate undead wildlife sometimes in the place of living ones.

Drokk

• Escaped Lunatic
  • I've probably killed a million goblins by now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 14, 2016, 01:49:29 pm »

Hey all!  I've been having a hard time making a world that I would like to play.

Basically, I'm a pretty veteran player at this point and want what would essentially be a challenge world crawling with evil.

Ideally I'd get a terrifying glacier with goblin and a tower(s?) as neighbors, and maybe one other neutral neighbor to mess with (War with elves/humans is extra fun!).  Every time I crank up megabeasts and other things the world dies out before towers can be created, and its pretty hard to guarantee that there will be towers in the arctic.

The neutral neighbor is pretty much a stretch goal. 

I just want to be constantly besieged on all sides so my absurd war machines/battle hardened dwarves have to cling to the world for dear life!  Spill some blood for Armok!  Could anyone give me some tips, or if they have already generated that style of world give me a link to it?

Thanks so much.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 14, 2016, 04:50:28 pm »

I love the search function.
Hey guys, I am looking for a 3x3 embark on a savage glacier with a nearby necromancer tower for my challenge run. Thanks!
Here's a worldgen that matches.  If you embark from the "The Flaxen Pulley" civilization you'll be at War with the 22,000+ goblins, as well.  The tower has 43 animated dwarves, and 117 animated goblins.
Untamed wilds everywhere except the center area, so savage should be easy to find.  You can embark adjacent to the Tower, if you want.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
To make it terrifying, set "Desired evil squares in large subregions" to 289. I also recommend zeroing the site cap to ensure you'll be only sieged from dark fortress.

As far as megabeasts/massive number of towers/world not dying off goes, add more dwarven-suitable mountains/human-suitable plains to the above and increase civ count (the more civs = the more deaths = the more towers, basically, as long as secret number allows).

Drokk

• Escaped Lunatic
  • I've probably killed a million goblins by now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 15, 2016, 02:39:10 pm »

Thanks man! 

I'll give it a shot and holler back.  Sorry, I made a quick glance and didn't find it (although in reality I should have known it would be a common request).

Cheers.

narwhalsToot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 22, 2016, 10:45:42 am »

Hi! I'm looking for a generally !!FUN!! embark.
What I mean by that is:
-a volcano
-terrifying biome
-contact with dwarves, humans, goblins, and (preferably) elves.
-enough materials to make steel (trees/coke, flux, iron)
Bonus points if:
-it's close to a Dark Fortress or some Dark Pits so I'm under constant siege by gobbos
-has a tower neighbor
-is reanimating

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 10:54:32 am by narwhalsToot »

roushguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 27, 2016, 02:17:51 pm »

Hello! I'm looking for a (at least somewhat) flat embark, with flux, magma, and sand, as well as a river/stream/brook, preferably with at least a 3-tile waterfall (for mist/fort entrance reasons). Last, but not least, I don't want aquifers, as they tend to destroy my poor forts. I don't need tons of wood, but some would be great. Prefer to be somewhere where I might find jaguars/giant jaguars for animal training purposes. Sorry for being so specific!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 27