Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 27

Author Topic: DF v0.43.03+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 86296 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: DF v0.43.03+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #315 on: July 26, 2017, 02:03:46 pm »

Yes.

a) Ensure that all non-taiga forests are savage (or evil if you don't want elves there, period), or that you have little forests. The second can be done with dropping rainfall, while the first requires pre-set values.
b) Modify entity_default.txt [MAX_STARTING_CIV_NUMBER:100] value for them.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 02:05:21 pm by Fleeting Frames »

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 27, 2017, 01:58:26 pm »

Ahoy-hoy, world-gen boffins!

I find myself new embark shopping. Is there any advice you can give me (not involving Perfect World) to get a site that is high in the middle and low towards all the edges? It doesn't need to be a super-tall hill or mountain or anything.

Tremendous bonus kudos if the answer can net a partial aquifer and either all the neighbors possible or (on the opposite end of the spectrum) an embark-sized island surrounded by the sea.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 27, 2017, 03:36:15 pm »

Perfect world is just mass-producing pre-set values, but that only applies on regional level.

Now, vjek has posted at least 1 gen with geography of mountains in center like that, however the fastest way to get that anywhere you want would be to use region manipulator before embark.

Alternatively, non-flat volcanoes tend to have the pipe near highest point in the map that slopes downwards, i.e. like this

You can pick volcano locations with pre-setting volcanism, but I understood you don't want to do that.

For partial aquifer and all races, there's many worldgens, including on the first page of this topic (though the first one uses pre-set values).
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 03:38:11 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Alyfox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 07, 2017, 11:46:55 am »

I noticed in the OP that its possible to get a surface chasm that leads to the cavern layer.. which is something that seems really awesome to me. What should I look for (either in world gen or when embarking) to help try and narrow the possibility of finding one? Not necessarily looking for a specific world gen recipe (I use mods, so that might change how the worldgen ends up.. world-genning) just some sort of guide. Thx!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 07, 2017, 12:38:33 pm »

As mentioned before in this thread, simplest vanilla way to get that at specific location is turning off hfs/magma layers in advanced world gens: if you do, then any volcano that is not in NW corner of your embark will be empty and open to caverns/magma sea below.

Alternatively, you could use dfhack and use pre-embark regionmanipulator.lua script to make either small circular river on cavern level or a slanted pit that goes down to cavern. This doesn't need a volcano or regeneration of the world, so it's more flexible even just for this purpose.

There have been other cases of it beforehand, as well, though I'm not sure of the mechanism for those.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 12:40:04 pm by Fleeting Frames »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 07, 2017, 01:25:40 pm »

If the question is really for the vanilla feature of caves that provide a passage down to the first cavern, rather than a chasm, all caves I've looked at have had such a connection, and vanilla DF has an advanced world generation option to display caves so you could use that to know where to embark.

Alyfox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 07, 2017, 04:16:01 pm »

As mentioned before in this thread, simplest vanilla way to get that at specific location is turning off hfs/magma layers in advanced world gens: if you do, then any volcano that is not in NW corner of your embark will be empty and open to caverns/magma sea below.

Alternatively, you could use dfhack and use pre-embark regionmanipulator.lua script to make either small circular river on cavern level or a slanted pit that goes down to cavern. This doesn't need a volcano or regeneration of the world, so it's more flexible even just for this purpose.

There have been other cases of it beforehand, as well, though I'm not sure of the mechanism for those.

Ive been slowly browsing my way through this thread, and my search-fu is really awful. Thanks for the info, I know what to look for. Also, does lava propagate from the NW corner or something?

Alyfox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 07, 2017, 04:16:26 pm »

If the question is really for the vanilla feature of caves that provide a passage down to the first cavern, rather than a chasm, all caves I've looked at have had such a connection, and vanilla DF has an advanced world generation option to display caves so you could use that to know where to embark.

Looking for chasm specifically, I've used caves before... just never seen a chasm like that and thought it would be rather neat :D

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 07, 2017, 05:01:14 pm »

Well, I guess it might not be so easy to search for if you don't know about it. I guess the game only checks the NW corner if there's no magma layer set (you still get one if you embark on volcano, though). This trick also works in adventure mode, and changes per load.

In the days when worldgen resulted in fucked up layer heights you could get open-air caverns more, as well as fun things like magma sea draining into hfs.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 11, 2017, 11:57:02 am »

Having trouble getting edge oceans and a sense of continents. I've been having trouble since Monday, and I am not about to give up now lol
I've tried PerfectWorld and it did to an extent help. Except that I'd be spending extra time tweaking a map possibly for a few hours, and then end up genning something I'm unsatisfied with, and having to either keep genning the same seed, or starting all over again.

Here is my current unmodified set. We're able to get about 1/200 approximate chance of a world getting enough edge oceans to move onto the next phase of generation. Shortly after rivers are done being placed we get our rejection. A couple of edit cycles back I was able to get it all the way up to the end of mineral generation.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm thinking about setting the rivers final down a bit lower, but otherwise any stability help is appreciated.
I'm looking for:

- Continents of loose form
- Hot Pole and Cold Pole
- A veritable mix of biomes in Hot to Temperate ranges (mostly looking for Deserts, Swamps, and High Savagery sites)
- A fair bit of rivers, minerals, and your basic "what a fort thrives on" stuff like flux and soil/sand
- Don't worry about civ placements for the most part. I've lightly nerfed Goblins and I've buffed Kobolds in my raws.
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

Keybounce

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: August 12, 2017, 03:53:10 pm »

I'd like worldsettings advice for a first time player following a tutorial with no other knowledge of the game.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 12, 2017, 04:42:39 pm »

Select Create New World
Spoiler: "Set things like this" (click to show/hide)

Afterwards, in main menu select Start Playing, (last region if you have more than one), Dwarf Fortress. Use cursor and umkh to settle on an island.

The first three settings don't affect you a lot, though.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 18, 2017, 09:43:42 am »

I want a reanimating, terrifying densely forested temperate area, without an aquifer, preferably with brook, and enthralling clouds, lots of goblins, preferably at war with elves, and a nice cliffside in a 65x65 world.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 09:45:31 am by KittyTac »
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: August 18, 2017, 10:23:48 pm »

Why 65x65? i.e. what do you desire to get with that map size besides the forgotten beasts? ('cause with just that, can make a pocket-area world with rest of the map being ocean)

What do you consider a nice cliffside? A sloping mountain with 50z between top and bottom of 2x2 embark, deep river gorge's flat walls(I guess not) or what?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: August 18, 2017, 10:38:59 pm »

Why 65x65? i.e. what do you desire to get with that map size besides the forgotten beasts? ('cause with just that, can make a pocket-area world with rest of the map being ocean)

What do you consider a nice cliffside? A sloping mountain with 50z between top and bottom of 2x2 embark, deep river gorge's flat walls(I guess not) or what?

A cliff to the right, more than 5 z tall.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 27