Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27

Author Topic: DF v0.43.03+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 86206 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: DF v0.43.03+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #360 on: September 21, 2017, 04:42:15 pm »

By importing bitmaps, do you mean using perfectworld to convert it into [PS_EL:#:#:#...] values and then appending it to the end of worldgen text? I usually draw/generate those in a spreadsheet program, but I suppose paint programs have their advantages.

For maximally tall caverns, you can get them by 400 mountain section - 1 wide strip of land 100 - 1 ocean section. I think this only stretches 1 cavern to dozens of z-levels tall, while others will be on top or bottom. Also, "stretches" is the right word and maybe not as pleasant as you desire.

For volcano, I think you already know this, but 1 painted 100 volcanism tile + min volcanoes set to 1 = always a volcano on that tile. Tends to raise elevation, though.

You're second person to ask about rivers on this page :p posted a link to longer explanation above. Now, while rainfall does seem to have obvious effects on rivers (none in deserts, lots in swamps and forests), I'm not sure what effect precisely drainage or volcanism has there. For aquifer, just keep the elevation low on embark and you'll probably get it, I think.

Towers and hfs has been addressed a lot before.

As for the fps efficiency for that embark...Good idea, and limiting squares is good start, but I'll point out that it'll probably have moving water, moving magma, and would be closer to two hundred z-levels fat. You could try to follow the rest of vjek's advice, I guess.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: September 22, 2017, 02:19:49 am »

To get much candy you want your spire(s) to be as tall as possible. DF has a bug in its spire generation for worlds that have less than 3 cavern which causes spires that are set to reach the 3:rd cavern (and 2:nd, if only one layer is generated) to fail to appear at all. This bug can be corrected by changing the tubes to reach the 2:nd (or 1:st with a single cavern) level instead. It's also possible to use the same logic to stretch a tube that's set not to reach the caverns to reach the first 1 (regardless of number of caverns) for maximum spire length. This DFHack script fixes spires that would fail to appear due to the bug: https://github.com/PatrikLundell/scripts/blob/master/candy_corrector.lua. Beware that if you're going to use the script's logic to hack spires manually, DF doesn't actually populate the data structure entries until the world tile the data applies to is in the embark focus. Trying to hack data without having it loaded can either result in a crash (if the high level feature shell isn't loaded) or failure to find any data to manipulate.

In addition to this, specifying a lot of levels between the magma sea and the lowest cavern will result in a lot of spire levels if the spire is set to (actually) reach that cavern.

Ggobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: October 28, 2017, 03:20:01 pm »

Hey,

Am looking for a world for three things.

--dead dwarf civ's

--an island with a cavern overlapping the mainland

--tons of animal people

Thanks
Just popping in to say that if DF has taught me anything, it's that everything is doomed.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: October 29, 2017, 04:28:58 am »

Hey,

Am looking for a world for three things.

--dead dwarf civ's

--an island with a cavern overlapping the mainland

--tons of animal people

Thanks
Dead civs: Rather tricky to get them "naturally" because they refuse to die when they should. You can set them up by creating a PSV based world where the dorf civs are located such that there's a high probability they get clobbered by megabeasts or goblins.
Once there, the script slabciv can push them over the brink, while permit-dead allows you to select dead civs when embarking.
Those scripts can be found here https://github.com/PatrikLundell/scripts.

I don't understand the second point. I don't think DF generates islands small enough to fit within an embark, so you'd need to hack the geography to do create such islands. It might be possible to use the regionmanipulator tool found via the link above to generate small islands in a pre existing lake or ocean tile, but I've never tried to use it for that purpose.
The caverns are usually connected (depending on world gen parameters). However, I don't see why it should matter, as there's currently no logic to physically route traffic through caverns, and if you've hacked the embark so you've got both an island and a mainland component you can easily connect them with ordinary dwarf dug tunnels (and you'd need a tunnel to reach the surface anyway, unless you had the fairly rare case of a cave connected to the cavern on the mainland component). It

- Getting a lot of animal people can be achieved using the biomemanipulator script during world gen found through the link above. That, however, will just cause them to exist in the wild. No reliable method of getting them to join civs and then visit your fortress has been found, as far as I know.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: October 29, 2017, 11:56:37 am »

For islands that fit into embark, How To Generate Small Islands, A Guide could be helpful.

Then just generate 1 dwarf civ in a hostile world/bad spot and when they get wrecked check that civilization screen is empty right after embark.

Cavern biomes are typically far bigger than single embark, though the guide-given embarks will likely not reach mainland. For instance, doing a few experiments I notice a pocket world has something around 3-4 cavern biomes per layer, so it's unlikely the cavern your dead civ fort was based on will reach a random tiny island. However, cavern biomes are connected with each other, so it's theoretically possible to walk in adventure mode through all of them in 1 layer in a world. (In practice, you'll likely get lost or encounter a completely water-filled area.)

I think you mean "tons of animal people visitors". I have no idea how to accomplish that; as even in cases where 30% of the world's only town has been animal people I've still gotten only dozens of normal civilized races. Though they do show up sometimes.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 12:00:06 pm by Fleeting Frames »

EPM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: October 30, 2017, 04:50:59 pm »

Thanks, Fleeting Frames, You're steering me in the right direction.

With the release of the next version tantalizingly close, I've been trying to focus on worldgen tinkering. I apologize for rather ignorant, inattentive, or other missing-the-point questions previously, and I'm not anywhere near the capabilities of the regulars in here. Sedimentary layer generation is still really murky.

I've worked out how to generate large, sprawling rivers with ocean tiles and mountains followed by an elevation gradient, thanks for the pointers on that one! Actually getting sedimentary layers is still hit-or-miss (Clay, shallow metals, and flux stone at least helps narrow things down nicely), though I've definitely grown to appreciate the Region/Biome/Geomanipulator DFhack scripts. That said, I want to not have to rely on hacking scripts for embarks in the future, though "extra-special weird embarks" have produced some very entertaining results. A river source sticking out of the side of a giant "bowl" of elevation, levitating midair brooks (it seems as though DF gives you "the benefit of the doubt" when the only thing tiles connect to are the map boundary, probably the same sort of situation as that fort "nailed to the sky" from a while back), or all layers above the caverns being absent and leading to embarking right on top of a giant mushroom. Among other things. I have also combined regionmanipulator with embark-anywhere to unleash thralling evil clouds straight on top of the elves.

That's all really funny, but I want a worldgen that doesn't rely on external modification (PSVs are still fine) and I can really sink the future (a very long-lived fort with a stable framerate) into. That said, whether or not current worldgens will carry over to the next release very well isn't something I can guess at, though given it's focused on artifacts in particular, it may mostly impact civs rather than geography. I hope.

I've saved all the worldgen params posted in this thread, just in case.

But the ideal for me to work on is:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm not necessarily requesting this, though if someone actually does have a worldgen that crazy specific by all means please share, but that's my goal world to produce.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: October 30, 2017, 05:26:12 pm »

I find sedimentary layers pretty common with low volcanisms, though sometimes they're replaced by metamorphic ones.

Problem is, you also want a volcano or magma pipe. That means high volcanism on the biome they occur in.

The combination of both requires having at least 2x1 or 1x2 embark area over multiple biomes.

I've seen some of those, but not with tiny partial aquifer. Here's one example.

On that note, you can alter PSV volcanism to change the layers available on embark while keeping the overall geography. I've used this before to increase number of sedimentary layers as well as replace aquifer soil with clay. It's random as far as I can tell (confronted with choice between the two, I went with first).

Otherwise, magma pumping up requires at least 13z of pumping iirc, at maximally thin 1-cavern world (1 surface +5 to first cavern + 5 in first cavern +2 to magma sea).

Regarding world-level details, I'll note that lots of vampires + megabeasts + towers = Bad juju for civs. You can limit megabeasts for worldgen with ocean gaps, but vampires can literally suck a # into a +; I've seen worlds with several vampires having 10k kills. That said, since you didn't specify strong civs, this is honestly relatively easy to fulfil, especially if you're willing to mod DEATH sphere gods to all mortal civs.

PSV savagery is otherwise relatively easy way to control goblins and tweak history mid-generation.

As for next version, I'm not 100% sure geography would match, as the display cabinet will have raws for it, which can change worldgen. (An old trick was swapping 2 soil layer places in raws to get sand on embark.)

ManicSin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: November 02, 2017, 10:18:35 pm »

So short story short I wonder how I can maximise the amount of rivers in a world.

My goal is a savage wetland world for my adventurer to run around in.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: November 03, 2017, 12:10:31 am »

my suggestion is to try for:

- high rainfall
- low drainage (>33 for marshes/swamps)
- lots of elevation above 300 (river start locations, probably want more of this than you think, remember erosion...) definitely meshes for this and for rainfall and drainage
-  river_mins, high:high (could be fiddly 'cause higher numbers add erosion/rejects)
- orthographic precipitation off
- subregion_max maxxed  ;)
- erosion cycle, low for more smaller rivers? but worth fiddling with

savagery would be separate, again the mesh approach is best I think

hopefully that covers the basics but others might add more  8)

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: November 14, 2017, 11:55:54 am »

I'd like to make an Earthsea type of world, with many islands of varying sizes and different civs.

I had done it before by modifying the "human necromancer" wordlgen from the wiki, but it was awhile ago.

EPM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: November 14, 2017, 03:10:31 pm »

Thanks again, Fleeting Frames.

I've started doing this to control civ interactions:

• Separate continents and islands with one-tile-wide oceans.
  • Let the civs build up up as desired during worldgen.
  • Embark on the coast, stretching as far out into the ocean as needed by the region to create a bridge.
  • Retire/Abandon that embark and repeat if necessary from the other side to connect the landmasses.
  • Civs and other travelers treat the sites as a valid pathway over the water and can now move beyond their initial confines!
  • Repeat as desired to fine-tune who can interact with who.

Having gotten roughly the hang of geography, I'm now fiddling with civs in general. I really want at least one civilization where a demon takes over a human civ by pretending to be a deity, or a vampire king of dwarves, etc., anyone know if there are conditions or factors that can influence this?

A test I want to perform with a world similar to the one I described above is to see what happens regarding vault placement...

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: November 15, 2017, 05:27:31 am »

Thanks again, Fleeting Frames.

I've started doing this to control civ interactions:

• Separate continents and islands with one-tile-wide oceans.
  • Let the civs build up up as desired during worldgen.
  • Embark on the coast, stretching as far out into the ocean as needed by the region to create a bridge.
  • Retire/Abandon that embark and repeat if necessary from the other side to connect the landmasses.
  • Civs and other travelers treat the sites as a valid pathway over the water and can now move beyond their initial confines!
  • Repeat as desired to fine-tune who can interact with who.

Having gotten roughly the hang of geography, I'm now fiddling with civs in general. I really want at least one civilization where a demon takes over a human civ by pretending to be a deity, or a vampire king of dwarves, etc., anyone know if there are conditions or factors that can influence this?

A test I want to perform with a world similar to the one I described above is to see what happens regarding vault placement...
Fortresses can create bridges through otherwise impassable terrain, as you noted. My experiment to hack the map during history indicates that method does not work.
When I've used the fortress bridging method I've used it on PSV worlds where the separating ocean is a single tile wide and sufficiently long that there is at least some place where I can place the fortress on land in the "ocean" tile and thus create a bridge.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: November 16, 2017, 10:10:03 am »

Neat enough; I prefer 30+ tile separation, but that doesn't work for megabeasts. On Vampire Kings, best might be to generate a violent world with no werewolves or secrets - then dwarves seeking immortality will go into human temples and topple statues.

I'm not sure the divine demon rulers are a thing anymore in vanilla. I'ven't looked much, though. I'd suggest starting with a worldgen where the demon ruler is taken captive by humans who then destroy the goblin civ, and then subtly influencing worldgen to make the rulers of human civ die sooner once the goblin civ sites have all been destroyed or conquered.

@Zavvnao: I bet it'd mostly work still

ewilkinson413

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: November 23, 2017, 02:35:18 pm »

I am looking for an embark with the following features:
embark size: 5x5
some surface trees
a river of some kind
NO AQUIFER
biome temperature: warm
flux
iron ore
metal ore
gold ore
candy
living dwarven civ
neighbor: goblins
neighbor: humans
neighbor: elves
tall or surface volcano
three caverns
biome alignment: some good

TYIA!
(playing LNP so not on 0.44 yet if that makes a difference)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: November 24, 2017, 02:32:34 pm »

Eh, why not, similar enough to previous volcano embark I did for sleeper.

I assume you want for 43.05. (Geography is same as 43.03 but history differs.)

And yeah, 44.01 makes quite a difference.

Sme surface trees, a river, some good...I guess a combination of no vegetation desert + shrubland would work. Not needing to be flat makes getting a river easier, too.

||

1x1 tileset river z-level screenshot:

||

I took few small liberties to deviate a bit: the two shrubland squares are hot/tropical (for unicorns/giant elephants/lions) with sand/clay/some soil/Shallow and Deep Metals/Flux, and there's 154 tiles of soil aquifer shear in the southern part of z 134 in case you change your mind.

Neighbours:
Goblins: 10k strong + another 10k of beak dogs/trolls/ogres/blizzard men. And 185 dwarves.
Elves: Best site is 500ish + 1k+ of various animals.
Humans: Town is about 200 strong. No sewers.
Dwarves: Your civ has isolated island of 600 with library founded 90 years ago.
Kobolds: 115 sitting in a cave. Stealing stuff from vault.
Tower: 150 strong, mostly undead.

Spoiler: Parameters (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 02:35:11 pm by Fleeting Frames »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27