Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24]

Author Topic: Carnage Fiesta 1999 X Reloaded - Chapter 6: Discount Bloodbath  (Read 41501 times)

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Carnage Fiesta 1999 X Reloaded - Chapter 6: Discount Bloodbath
« Reply #345 on: July 11, 2016, 06:02:46 pm »

I, too, would like to join this game.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: July 11, 2016, 06:17:14 pm »

I'm also thinking it would take some inspiration from E.R. A bunch of people, across universes, come together to prevent stop dangerous anomalies from occurring, probably on some sort of spaceship headed by an A.I. Gameplay would mainly consist of going on missions to stop said anomalies, which, while there will be plenty of combat, it would be far from the only way of accomplishing things. Missions would range from all sorts of things, like 'fixing' a world where the Mongols have taken over medieval Europe, to stopping a full-blown war between the mole-people and ant-people in another world, to investigating bio-planets and such. Like in E.R., even in cooperative teams, there is competition in that the people who contribute the most to the mission get more rewards.
So... Special People, but with a d10.

I'm still down for it.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: July 11, 2016, 07:05:30 pm »

If I can be Sans, I'm up for just about anything. IF I was not about to go on holiday. See you all in a few days.
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: July 11, 2016, 07:08:21 pm »

Similar to what digital said, if i can be Kyoko I'll join. Also it would be funny if everyone kept there memory's of the carnage fiesta if they where in it.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: July 11, 2016, 07:10:01 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: July 11, 2016, 07:18:12 pm »

Now I'm trying to think of how to incorporate that competitive reward system, in that what the rewards actually are.

I'm also thinking of ideas, plot-wise, for the premise. I'm thinking that if we think about the Multiverse as a single entity, anomalies are the cancer cells, and the job of the players would be to prevent the spread of this cancer before it spreads and takes everything over. (To those of you that play Trespassers, this is quite similar.)
Also thinking about whether I'd want Permadeath or not. In games where people play as their favorite character, or a close expy, I've noticed that there tends to be some pushback against Permadeath.

If I can be Sans, I'm up for just about anything. IF I was not about to go on holiday. See you all in a few days.

Have a good trip!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I must apologize, I thought you were speaking of the future game idea I've been discussing. As I've been saying, this game is likely coming to a close, it did fill an important role as for experimentation purposes.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: July 11, 2016, 07:33:21 pm »

aww. Well, hang on to that for the next one then please.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: July 11, 2016, 09:16:00 pm »

Also thinking about whether I'd want Permadeath or not. In games where people play as their favorite character, or a close expy, I've noticed that there tends to be some pushback against Permadeath.
That tends to be because if you give a person the option to play as a character they love, they're not going to want to keep playing if they lose them. You can at least expect a few people WILL drop out of the game on their first death if you add Permadeath. That's why most forum games impose such strict limits on characters, it prevents you from playing a character that you would actually care about losing if they died quickly.
 It becomes much harder to motivate yourself to keep playing if you lose a character you care about permanently. I suggest mission kills(if you die you stay dead for the rest of the mission, but come back afterwards), that way there's an actual consequence to death, but it's not enough to make anybody quit the game entirely when they die.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: July 11, 2016, 09:22:57 pm »

That tends to be because if you give a person the option to play as a character they love, they're not going to want to keep playing if they lose them. You can at least expect a few people WILL drop out of the game on their first death if you add Permadeath. That's why most forum games impose such strict limits on characters, it prevents you from playing a character that you would actually care about losing if they died quickly.
 It becomes much harder to motivate yourself to keep playing if you lose a character you care about permanently. I suggest mission kills(if you die you stay dead for the rest of the mission, but come back afterwards), that way there's an actual consequence to death, but it's not enough to make anybody quit the game entirely when they die.
Ach, yeah.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: July 11, 2016, 09:41:00 pm »

Dying should have some kind of permanent effect, even if it's entirely superficial. A scar, maybe?

Heck, maybe even a death-related special ability that replaces any benefits you would normally have gained from the mission? For example, dying by fire might give you this:

Increased Body Temperature: +2 to defensive rolls vs. fire; -1 to defensive rolls vs. ice and cold. Character is slightly uncomfortable at room temperature.

Personally, I really like the idea of dying giving you trade-off skills, though I'm obviously biased towards it.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 09:42:42 pm by Elephant Parade »

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: July 12, 2016, 01:37:23 am »

I would probably would keep the Huntress. Probably give her an actual name.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: July 12, 2016, 01:43:21 am »

Dying should have some kind of permanent effect, even if it's entirely superficial. A scar, maybe?

Heck, maybe even a death-related special ability that replaces any benefits you would normally have gained from the mission? For example, dying by fire might give you this:

Increased Body Temperature: +2 to defensive rolls vs. fire; -1 to defensive rolls vs. ice and cold. Character is slightly uncomfortable at room temperature.

Personally, I really like the idea of dying giving you trade-off skills, though I'm obviously biased towards it.

I was thinking along the lines of dying just means you won't get any rewards, which would be an incentive to stay alive. And like E.R., failing missions could have long-term ramifications down the road, so it would for example make a future mission harder.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
  • A sarcastic, weird nerd of many things. That's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: July 12, 2016, 04:17:06 am »

I actually do like the idea of Permadeath. It gives incentive to play defensively, and means you won't just charge in. I know for a fact that I won't leave if any of my favorite character die. However, that's just me. I have no problem with the people who don't want Permadeath, I can completely understand. I'm just saying that, personally, I don't mind Permadeath mechanics.
Offer them each a glass of a local drink, Rwandan Flower Wine, which contains secret ingredients to help calm the drinker such as crushed amethyst, dandelion wine and just the right amount of marijuana.
I desire, for whatever reason, to create Space Louisiana.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: July 12, 2016, 08:31:58 pm »

Rather than Permadeath, I am now thinking of a sort of middle ground, in extreme cases where revival isn't possible or a character needs to be forcefully ejected from the team. Right now I'll refer to it as Wormhole Exile, where instead of dying, the character would be removed from the team and sent back to the home, never to return. They'll continue their lives, just back home where they started.

I am also thinking that this game will likely have a stat system similar to Trespassers of the Multiverse and other games, where each characters general skillset is determined by Constitution, Strength, Charisma, and so on, in addition to abilities.
As for Mission Death penalties, I am entertaining both the idea of stat reduction, or as previously suggested, "Scars" that take the form of permanent negative abilities.

Could we still use teams of multiple people?

On-ship, probably not, but I would allow a character to lead mooks/minions into battle behind them during missions.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
  • A sarcastic, weird nerd of many things. That's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: July 13, 2016, 04:47:08 am »

Well, from that syntax, maybe we can do this: if they get ejected from the team, or leave the team, then they live and enjoy their life. If they can get revived after death, they come back. If they can't, they die. They don't go back, they die. That way, we can have both a Permadeath and a Wormhole Exile, and both the majority and I can have a cool little system for death. I am not saying your idea is bad, and if you want to keep your idea, then that's fine, that's the GM's choice. In fact, the Wormhole Exile is good for both death and leaving, so that the character could come back anyway, and I really do like your idea. I just felt like giving my idea to the fledgling game.
Offer them each a glass of a local drink, Rwandan Flower Wine, which contains secret ingredients to help calm the drinker such as crushed amethyst, dandelion wine and just the right amount of marijuana.
I desire, for whatever reason, to create Space Louisiana.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24]