Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: modding question from ryesoul the newbie  (Read 1746 times)

ryesoul

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
modding question from ryesoul the newbie
« on: June 12, 2016, 06:10:18 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
last question solved...after a lots of time thrown useless sadly.well,move to next question~ btw,i'm making this thread as my personal question thread for my own convenience.

my next question,is there a way to make an interaction that transform vermins into their giant variant?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 12:02:39 pm by ryesoul »

ryesoul

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: modding question from ryesoul the newbie
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 12:04:49 pm »

up,and reserve for...maybe listing some of mod i made in the future

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 12:22:10 pm »

my next question,is there a way to make an interaction that transform vermins into their giant variant?
no.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 12:23:13 pm »

You could try the DFhack functions to do it for you with some fiddly extra coding slapped on. Github reference, its under Mod tools at the bottom of list

Why, did you have 'Honey i shrunk the dwarves' in mind?

All it'd be is changing the 1 vermin type to another.

ryesoul

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 12:48:34 pm »

ouch...well,not really.i'm thinking to make a interaction to grew insects for emergency food in adventure mode,since they're easily to find out beside larger vermin or non-vermin creature,but can't be eaten since everyone feel gross lols
well,i might use spawnunit script,but looks like it was removed from the github...is it?i can't find it on the script folder nope,my bad,it was there
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 12:52:11 pm by ryesoul »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 12:54:18 pm »

ouch...well,not really.i'm thinking to make a interaction to grew insects for emergency food in adventure mode,since they're easily to find out beside larger vermin or non-vermin creature,but can't be eaten since everyone feel gross lols
well,i might use spawnunit script,but looks like it was removed from the github...is it?i can't find it on the script folder nope,my bad,it was there

Lol, not quite the use i was expecting. I thought you were going for a more alchemical fortress mode role via a smattering of 'mad science'

I guess eating snails is very continental and a delicacy somewhere, but i wouldn't want to eat a huge snail for a week!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 01:05:34 pm »

You can certainly make a workshop that uses vermin as reagents, uses them up, but spawns a giant version of the animal. It wouldnt be the same creature (the first one would be gone, the second one would be an entirely new creature), but that would work.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2016, 01:20:55 pm »

You can certainly make a workshop that uses vermin as reagents, uses them up, but spawns a giant version of the animal. It wouldnt be the same creature (the first one would be gone, the second one would be an entirely new creature), but that would work.

Put down a custom adventure mode use workshop (on part of a unassigned/unusual job role like alchemy) and run the reaction there? That'd be my best advice at helping you make this happen.

Also not very abusable and encourages the adventurer to uh, settle down and farm snails? Re-purposeful for other animals i think, deposit some chicken eggs and hey presto. Scratch one goal off toady's dev list.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2016, 05:03:56 pm »

Put down a custom adventure mode use workshop

you cannot do this i'm pretty sure

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2016, 05:34:26 pm »

I mean in the pretense that you're only going to use this particular workshop in adventure mode in regards to it having no real use in fortress mode, as i later mention by...

"(on part of a unassigned/unusual job role like alchemy)"

Meaning that without those labours enabled, why would dwarves want to bother? It'd be one of those 'out there' workshops nobody uses besides in adventure mode (unless you really like detestable giant vermin) I apologise if my message was misinterpreted or open to misinterpretation. If i have grossly mistaken again, using it inside a pre-built fortress setting may well work too if you can't construct it elsewhere as a adventurer (adventure mode is not my field of specialty I personally run at too low FPS to play around with it often)

It'd be interesting to see if applying a workshop with alchemy enabled would actually bring any dwarves skilled in the subject to do a little bit of scholarship.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2016, 05:35:25 pm »

No, I mean you are literally unable to use any workshop other than carpenter in adv mode. Obviously you can keep a building out of dwarf mode, as easy as not having the [PERMITTED_BUILDING:x] tag in the player entity.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2016, 05:38:37 pm »

No, I mean you are literally unable to use any workshop other than carpenter in adv mode.

News to me. You could still work around it however via some modding trickery if workshops don't follow through. (i was really under the delusion it seems we'd moved on past that, maybe im just not paying enough attention)

Or attach it to the carpenter under a sub-category. If the reaction can be done then no problem. Whatever works.

kiwiphoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2016, 02:57:23 am »

I feel like - as is the classic DF way - people are overthinking this a bit:
Item names come out a bit weird (i.e. lizard bone chop), but they're still perfectly edible.

With that said, is it just me, or are vermin harder to find nowadays? Used to be that I would sometimes disturb a rat's nest completely by accident while wandering around, but now even 'L'ooking closely never seems to turn up anything.

ryesoul

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2016, 08:28:27 am »

Lol, not quite the use i was expecting. I thought you were going for a more alchemical fortress mode role via a smattering of 'mad science'

I guess eating snails is very continental and a delicacy somewhere, but i wouldn't want to eat a huge snail for a week!

well actually i'm thinking to make it more alchemical than magical,but my goal for now was for this mod be use-able in adventure mode since right now i'm more into it...and about the snail,it's only for emergency mean.i don't want to eat snail or slug meat for weeks either lol...

Also not very abusable and encourages the adventurer to uh, settle down and farm snails? Re-purposeful for other animals i think, deposit some chicken eggs and hey presto. Scratch one goal off toady's dev list.

...and either being snail breeder.but...i might think twice for being worm farmer (ohgod what did i just said~ XD )

as for the workshop...i'm pretty sure that i've saw some example of using creature/inorganic item as some kind of portable workshop (was it masterwork's summoning circle?...nope,i forgot where did i found it).for now,i'll just stick with adv reaction for prototyping it.

I feel like - as is the classic DF way - people are overthinking this a bit:
Item names come out a bit weird (i.e. lizard bone chop), but they're still perfectly edible.

With that said, is it just me, or are vermin harder to find nowadays? Used to be that I would sometimes disturb a rat's nest completely by accident while wandering around, but now even 'L'ooking closely never seems to turn up anything.

well idk.every world i generated,even with beast option on high,it's really hard to find any vermin around without meeting the bogeywogey and get instant dead.
the classic reaction were good,but i'm thinking 1 insect/bug vermin giving meat equals as other vermin?that's a bit weird i think ahaha
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 08:30:34 am by ryesoul »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2016, 07:42:35 pm »

Add it to the carpenter workshop reactions for now, maybe?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0