Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A situation with undead chinchillas and body parts  (Read 1820 times)

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
A situation with undead chinchillas and body parts
« on: June 13, 2016, 06:13:10 am »

I've got several undead chinchilla corpses here, my military were chasing them and it seemed to be ok, but then they surrounded them and something happened. They are fighting and all other dwarves stopped doing anything (listed as No Job) gathered around and... watching? ALL of dwarves became legendary observers. FPS dropped to <10. All this doesn't seem normal. DF 0.42.06

Oh cool, also a dwarven caravan arrived with meat/intestines/etc. and nothing else. A lot of meat.

Xgen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A situation with undead chinchillas
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 12:22:34 pm »

This could be a bug.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 07:54:20 pm »

I had a low level marksdwarf who suddenly turned legendary observer. All his other skills remained the same.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 02:12:49 am »

Great, a stealth weremammoth must have stolen the shaft of enlightenment and begun jabbing people with it.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 12:00:35 pm »

Sounds like a really strange bug. Perhaps the chinchillas are trying to sneak away and failing instantly.

Also if you are in an evil biome getting loads of meat isnt that bad. I mean butchering is a problem already so getting loads of meat to mix the food up should be fine.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 04:14:14 pm »

Sounds like a really strange bug. Perhaps the chinchillas are trying to sneak away and failing instantly.

Yeah, but why did they stop doing anything and gather around (with 50+ dwarves on one tile) in first place. Anyway, I'll upload saves, just not sure what exactly to complain about here when submitting bug report.

Also if you are in an evil biome getting loads of meat isnt that bad. I mean butchering is a problem already so getting loads of meat to mix the food up should be fine.

It wasn't evil. Loads of meat isn't bad, the problem is that there was nothing else at all in the caravan, just meat - never seen this.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 02:10:49 am »

Yeah, but why did they stop doing anything and gather around (with 50+ dwarves on one tile) in first place. Anyway, I'll upload saves, just not sure what exactly to complain about here when submitting bug report.

It wasn't evil. Loads of meat isn't bad, the problem is that there was nothing else at all in the caravan, just meat - never seen this.
"Urist, why is the caravan filled with meat?"
"A herd of elephants landed on the animal pens, Dodok, and the king says we can't sell any of the usual tat until we've 'gotten all this crap off the mountain home before it starts to smell'"
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 04:56:31 am »

the problem is that there was nothing else at all in the caravan, just meat - never seen this.

Ive seen things like this happen when the wagons cant reach your depot, only the small carrying mules. However they usually carry a little bit of each and loads of something, not just loads of one thing.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
Re: A situation with undead chinchillas (saves uploaded)
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 05:04:51 pm »

I'm having this issue again. My dwarves are fighting some undead body part and won't stop. They don't obey neither squad orders nor burrow restrictions if I disband the squad. Soon they will just all die of hunger and dehydration.

Is that normal?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2016, 02:06:18 am »

It's probably the dreaded invincible head bug that keeps me squarely away from reanimating biomes.

A sufficiently small head, as well as "parts thereof" such as head hair and head skin (from not so small heads, e.g. horses), are very close to invincible because hits either just cause bruises or simply pass straight through with no damage.
When I DID try reanimating biomes, I used DFHack's kill him/her command to eliminate each of these head bugs.

There are a few things that can be tried (and sometimes succeed) using vanilla:
- These head things can be caught in cage traps, so if they can be lured off into one they can be dealt with.
- You can try to get your militia off of them by reverting them to civilians and have a civilian alert set up. Sometimes this can cause them to disengage and enter the civilian alert burrow. Sometimes they'll just continue to fight as civilians, though.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2016, 02:31:12 am »

It's probably the dreaded invincible head bug that keeps me squarely away from reanimating biomes.

A sufficiently small head, as well as "parts thereof" such as head hair and head skin (from not so small heads, e.g. horses), are very close to invincible because hits either just cause bruises or simply pass straight through with no damage.
When I DID try reanimating biomes, I used DFHack's kill him/her command to eliminate each of these head bugs.

- These head things can be caught in cage traps, so if they can be lured off into one they can be dealt with.
- You can try to get your militia off of them by reverting them to civilians and have a civilian alert set up. Sometimes this can cause them to disengage and enter the civilian alert burrow. Sometimes they'll just continue to fight as civilians, though.

Yep, that was exactly a head. And they continued to fight as civilians.
Well, yeah, I can always get rid of the head with dfhack, I basically wanted to know whether this behaviour is considered normal, or it should be reported as a bug (if it hasn't already).

BlackBronze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A situation with undead chinchillas and body parts
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2016, 02:41:31 pm »

They must be really good at staring contests...

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: A situation with undead chinchillas and body parts
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2016, 03:23:48 pm »

I've got several undead chinchilla corpses here, my military were chasing them and it seemed to be ok, but then they surrounded them and something happened. They are fighting and all other dwarves stopped doing anything (listed as No Job) gathered around and... watching? ALL of dwarves became legendary observers. FPS dropped to <10. All this doesn't seem normal. DF 0.42.06

"Is that a chinchilla? Let me just put on my...."

Spoiler: GLASSES. (click to show/hide)
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2016, 12:45:05 am »

Yep, that was exactly a head. And they continued to fight as civilians.
Well, yeah, I can always get rid of the head with dfhack, I basically wanted to know whether this behaviour is considered normal, or it should be reported as a bug (if it hasn't already).

It's a bug and likely one that's been reported but the more examples Toady has of a bug the more clues he will have to track down the origin so it might be a good idea to report it.