Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question (RTD genre)  (Read 1190 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Mood: Cautiously Optomistic
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Question (RTD genre)
« on: August 07, 2016, 12:36:30 pm »

So if I use 1 to 10 is it still an RTD?

If I have buffs relating to how I use the situation in my abilities to my advantage is it still an RTD?

Is Wikiedia Wars, which is obviously not here but in the main forum games, RTD? Why or why not?
Awesome With Autism
Currently listening to: Goldeneye Menu

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question (RTD genre)
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 12:38:53 pm »

So if I use 1 to 10 is it still an RTD?
I would say so, though some might disagree.

If I have buffs relating to how I use the situation in my abilities to my advantage is it still an RTD?
I can't parse this sentence. Lots of RTDs have roll modifiers—stats and situational bonuses/penalties are both pretty common.

Is wikopedia Wars, which is obviously not here but in the main form games, RTD? Why or why not?
It doesn't really "feel" like one, if that makes sense, but you could definitely argue that it is.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 12:44:04 pm »

Dang it you got to before I made my fix. You're really quick to answer questions thank you!

How does it 'feel' different can you expand on that, please? Is it competitive multiplayer? Is it group updates for all the players at the same time?

By the way my motivation for this is pretty much I'm wondering if I am just being super inspired to make games with similar mechanics to Wiki Wars or if its more proper to say this whole genre.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 02:12:12 pm by roseheart »
Awesome With Autism

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 01:28:39 pm »

How does it 'feel' different can you expand on that, please?
I'm actually not sure. Thinking about it a bit more, I think it was just the d10 thing, possibly along with its placement in FGaRP.

Is it competitive multiplayer? Is it group updates for all the players at the same time?
Group updates are the standard, and there are plenty of arena-style RTDs.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 02:01:47 pm »

D6 is the most easily identifiable thing about it, but RTD is more exactly defined by, simply enough, rolling to dodge. If you get a plain or slightly modified roll to dodge or survive the effects of something, then it's an RTD. D&D has an attack roll that's compared against a static number of armor class, and Numenera has a defense roll compared against a static attack value, so these are not RTDs.

Wikipedia Wars seems to operate on RTD-like mechanics, so it technically is an RTD (although if you think not using a d6 is enough to say a game isn't an RTD, you can just as well put a game in plain FG&RP and nobody will mind or indeed care much).

Also, this is a question that has been asked and answered in Roller's Block several times, which is the RTD interest check and discussion thread, so if you have further questions you might as well ask them there. Place could use the traffic.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 02:44:00 pm »

Would Wikipedia Wars be the least fitting in here, or are there games that stretch it further or even much further?

In Wikipedia Wars if you were to do anything, there is a roll. This means attacking an opponent or any other kind of action. So is that pretty different?

If there was a sticky thread describing roll to dodge that would be perfect for a place like this. Searching a very deep thread for specific questions not so much.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 02:51:08 pm by roseheart »
Awesome With Autism

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2016, 02:45:50 pm »

Deviation 22. Period.
You can find it in the Roll to Dodge Hall of Fame.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2016, 04:13:07 pm »

Would Wikipedia Wars be the least fitting in here, or are there games that stretch it further or even much further?

In Wikipedia Wars if you were to do anything, there is a roll. This means attacking an opponent or any other kind of action. So is that pretty different?

Deviation-22 is an example of just how far complexity in an RTD can be taken.

Perplexicon takes RTD mechanics in an arena setting and adds a reasonably complex magic system or two on top.

The Magnificent Timelord takes amusing player inputs (compared to Wikipedia Wars' randomly generated ones) and tosses in complex and sometimes absurd injury mechanics. TCM's own Roll To Dodge Princess Celestia or its spiritual ancestor, Roll to Dodge Mr. T are both similar in their mashup concept, and I can see how Wikipedia Wars would pretty neatly fit into that family tree of games, even if it's jumped boards.

As you can see, you can do a whole lot with the mechanics while still calling the thing RTD unless you specifically say it's something else instead.

If there was a sticky thread describing roll to dodge that would be perfect for a place like this. Searching a very deep thread for specific questions not so much.

Oh, it's not terribly informative on its own (unless you feel like doing an RTD history archive binge), it's just a good place to ask questions so you don't have to make another thread. People love waxing philosophical on game mechanics both there and on Gaming Block. It's also probably a better way to get the attention of the various people who follow topics that they've already posted in mostly.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2016, 07:44:45 pm »

Most rtd are marked by chunky salsa damage, the huge skew between success and failure due to the d6(with often little chance to influence one's chances) and the consequences of such. Said consequences being a highly deadly(yet fair) combat system.

You can still have an rtd without those things, but that was really the "spirit" or "origin" of rtd, and what probably caused the rise in popularity. Thus, much experimentation was(and is) done as people tested the system's limits to see what it was capable of, or simply tried to stand out among the crowd. To me, the rise of minimalist rtds seems to be a call for a return to the "Glory Days" of the format, so to speak. I don't disagree, but I'm glad the craze for minimalism has died down somewhat.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.