Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Editing Newbie looking for some extra help  (Read 728 times)

Ginkiba

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Editing Newbie looking for some extra help
« on: June 13, 2016, 10:09:54 pm »

Hello all, I'm really new to editing the files, and I keep trying to do actions that are supposed to be simple in the hopes of learning how to change the game a little bit for adventure mode.

I started out trying to add the tags [NO_SLEEP] [NO_EAT], in the following format for elephant seal man, just to get started because just looking at trying to mod humans or dwarves made me nauseous:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My hopes is that for anyone who would be willing to spare the time, If they could send their version of how to edit the current patch (.42.06 I believe) so I could make, for instance, basically solid steel dwarves or humans as either a caste or a custom, playable in adventure mode, without the need for sleeping, eating, or drinking. I tried doing that last bit and it just didn't work no matter what I tried so some help would be really appreciated. I have looked at the wiki and it helped get me started, but it doesn't seem to be quite enough to get things actually working. Also if it doesn't take much effort, if anyone could point me at some custom races or castes, etc, that are similar to these ideas for the current patch that'd be really appreciated, that way I could start trying to piece all this together.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: Editing Newbie looking for some extra help
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 03:34:10 pm »

What exactly do you mean when you say it doesn't work? 

The thing is, the reason that this elephant seal man creature looks so "simple" is that everything is being done in another place that's hidden from you -- for example, the APPLY CREATURE VARIATION : ANIMAL PERSON LEGLESS calls another raw that adds, removes, and changes a whole bunch of tags.  Perhaps, it removes [NO_DRINK], i don't know.  It certainly strips out other stuff like NAME that you have to put back in, so if that's your whole creature right there, then yeah it's probably broken.

You can find out by searching (i.e. grep or "find in file") for the [CREATURE_VARIATION:ANIMAL_PERSON_LEGLESS] and learn what it actually does.  Simpler yet, you can start with modding a regular creature (rather than an Animal man or a Giant animal) so that everything is actually in front of you.

CV CONVERT TAG doesn't do anything by itself, it needs to be followed by more tokens that provide its arguments.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Creature_variation_token

Ginkiba

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 10:04:06 pm »

When I say it doesn't work I added the tags to remove thirst, hunger, sleep, and exhaustion from the elephant seal man, yet all of those factors remained when i rolled a new Elephant Seal man in Adventure mode. I used the raws in the creature_ocean_new.txt. I put the tags first directly under elephant seal man in the order printed, then tried it under Elephant Seal after i saw the 'copy tags from Elephant seal' tag. Neither of those attempts succeeded.

I didn't try to create a new animal man, just add in tokens as a first step to make sure I was understanding the process so far. Thanks for the tip on 'Apply creature variation', I didn't think that'd affect anything other than possible actions and maybe armor interactions and such.
I will try starting with a creature instead, thanks for the advice.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 10:13:07 pm »

Hmm.  Well, i don't know any reason that adding those tags would fail.  You're generating a new world after doing your modding, right?

Ginkiba

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 12:16:24 am »

I was not. That's awkward.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 12:28:28 am »

Since you're changing rather than creating/removing a creature, it might work without a new world gen -- IF you were to change the specific savegame (data/save/..) files rather than the files in the main path (raw/object/..).