Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Okay but are there mods to make the game...easier?  (Read 2517 times)

Orbotosh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Okay but are there mods to make the game...easier?
« on: June 01, 2016, 11:25:52 pm »

As a newbie and terrible player in general, are there mods that make game easier for players as long as they know what they're doing?
It's a buyers market. The author writes what sells, catering to the lowly demands of uneducated masses. In this case, apparently, charioteers.
Can we get migrant sponge cooks, a squid for bookkeeper, a starfish peasants, squirrel mechanics, vermin invaders, and cook roast crab meats? 

chesse20

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Okay but are there mods to make the game...easier?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 11:41:51 pm »

mod the dwarf to have its brain in its chest and then mod the amount of blood in the dwarf to be the amount of a ocean so that it can never bleed out. unkillable dwarf trust me.
also mod the tissues to be made out of adamataine so that it can never be broken

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 12:22:19 am »

Make all the dwarves learn faster.
under [CREATURE:DWARF] add
[SKILL_RATES:115:60:12:120] ---set 115% xp for all skills
and for fast cheating, [NATURAL_SKILL:MELEE_COMBAT:15]   [NATURAL_SKILL:DODGING:15]

and can make them walk/run faster:
normal: [APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_BIPED_GAITS:900:711:521:293:1900:2900] 30 kph
cheat: [APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_BIPED_GAITS:900:366:244:122:1900:2900] 72 kph
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 06:13:58 pm »

You can also:
>get rid of general poison => no more poisons, were people, vampires, necromancers from your dwarfs
>give them a good regeneration (look at hydra and copie what it does on healing rates for all tissues)
>anything else you can find in the modding part of the wiki:
 fire immune,
 more arms but that does not matter :D,
 no pain, no fever, no fatigue,
 god like attributes, skills
 no aging, insta adult kids ...
 whatever you can think of, just be aware that some tags are not good or fortress mode, no stunning makes your dwarfs never wake up and no tougth makes them unable to make quality items.
Once we should put together a really strong setup for dwarfs, migth be fun to see what people come up with.
the modding is limitless
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 08:13:56 pm »

So what everyone is saying is that you can mod the game to do almost anything.

It takes like, 30 seconds to make dwarves made of solid steel, for instance. Another 30 seconds will make them able to survive decapitation, ignore hunger and thirst, and be immune to poison.

Now if you're talking about the UI or setting up/maintaining a fort, I would check out the starter pack. It contains a plethora of tools to ease that up a bit.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

kiwiphoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 01:02:56 pm »

Hate to be the boring one, but it sounded like you were after a sort of 'training mod', as it were.

If that's the case, the best thing to do might be to spend literally 2 minutes and slam out some free-resource reactions.
Coke bars, iron ore, flux stones, fibre thread, wood logs, plump helmets. Possibly clay and sand.

Give your next fort a go in free-play mode, but every time you need to use one a freebie reaction, stop yourself.
Figure out what led that situation, and make a plan for preventing or circumventing it in the future.
You'll have a dependable strategy worked out in no time.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 10:04:34 am »

I think Modest Mod pancaking most specific items to general could help a lot, i.e. instead of selecting every animal leather, you select just leather, and no need to memorize whether every instance of three dozen stones is magma-safe or unsafe similarly.

Jako98145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 10:11:20 pm »

Easy?  Managing a colony of temperamental alcoholics is never easy...

But I suppose there are a lot of tutorial videos you can look at for a better understanding of how to play.  Plus, as others have said, resources packs go a long way I suppose.

But in terms of mods, I think Dwarf Therapist and maybe dfhack would help (although I don't think they are up to the current DF version yet).  And you could probably edit the raws to remove detrimental races, such as goblins, colossi, trolls, and dragons (however, I don't think you can mod away vampires and necromancers).

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2016, 12:11:58 am »

You can, however, set secret and vampire/werebeast types to 0 in advanced world generation. Also, setting demon types to 0 is simpler way to prevent goblins from appearing.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2016, 02:06:05 am »

Well if you like to cheat in a simple way just the cheaty features of dfhack, it seems to be usually added with any pack you download from scratch. Some very cheaty features in it:

Before having even embarked you can use "prospect all" and dfhack counts the amount of diffrent types of ores there will be if you embark there, can also used when you have already embarked.

You can use createitem to create much of the base items used in production. There is an explanation on it in the wiki. Edit: Just used this when I tested the features out and it crashed the game every fourth time or so for some random reason. So just save the game before you use it and it should be fine. It also tells you if you have done something wrong when it asks for stuff, such as not existing material or so.

You can make the selected dwarf much stronger or mentally capable using elevate-physical or elevate-mental.

Make-legendary (skill name in the list) makes the dwarf instantly a legendary skilled in said skill.

You can destroy all invaders using exterminate, destroy all undeads using "exterminate undead", or just destroy a specific creature using "exterminate him"

You can also use cursecheck to check if there is a vampire somewhere in the fort.

You can change the type of material there is in a vein using changevein and then the name of the inorganic material, such as RAW_PLATINUM or MAGNETITE.

clean all instantly removes all the filth without the dwarves having to clean themselves. This is the only one I use myself since the dwarves are dont clean themselves properly and the filth can multiply and drain fps.

You can use drain-aquifer and it will as you probably guessed, instantly drain all aquifers.

And much more... Its all listed here and how to use it properly. That said the game quickly gets very boring if you cheat.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 03:14:16 am by Findulidas »
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2016, 02:37:14 am »

You can also mod the embark points so you can start with a whole lot more equipment, weapons and armor.

Dwarf_fortress/data/init/world_gen.txt
edit [EMBARK_POINTS] or whatever the tag is actually called, one one of the embark profiles you want to use, or create your own. You can edit embark points up to 10000 in the game, but if you manually edit them up in the file, you can exceed this (up to at least 2 billion).

There are also ways to get extra dwarves at embark, but they're hacky as hell. As I recall, adding [PET][COMMON_DOMESTIC] to an intelligent race lets you buy them as pets at embark. You then embark, save the game and remove those tags from your region's dwarf race, so that they function normally, and you basically have started with extra dwarves or whatever. But I have no idea how this translates to modern DF, I did this back in 31.25.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 03:00:56 am by Reelya »

Fairin

• Bay Watcher
  • Furry!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2016, 08:30:33 pm »

df hack "dwarves" command lets you embark with more dwarves. i miss the old days of pet dwarves =)

there's only 2 real addon mods anyone needs to make dwarf fortress easier, thats DF hack and dwarf Therapist.

you can do things like . summon magma where ever on the map, unlock the furnaces, spawn things or items, granted its got a basic programmer ui, that is no gui...

therapist lets you manage your dwarves without finding them one by one and microing to death by setting their labors active or my personal favorite. tell me which squad member is wearing normal shoes instead of his plate boots. (which is irritatingly often)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 08:34:16 pm by Fairin »