Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Death Stranding: A Hideo Kojima Game  (Read 17806 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Death Stranding: A Hideo Kojima Game
« Reply #105 on: May 30, 2019, 02:16:57 pm »

I mean, it still kind of looks like pretentious nonsense to me. Especially when they showed the cast of characters and everyone was either crying tears, or blood.

Gameplay looks really minimalist. Like, really. You still can't even really say what gameplay is, other than you're in 3rd person, you walk, you shoot, you crouch and there's a deployable ladder.

So to me, the meat of the game looks to be about the weird ass story. I'm sure as more is known this will change. But I found myself less interested in the game after seeing the trailer, not more. I've never really been one for Hideo Kojima's storylines but I've usually enjoyed the gameplay. This seems like it's leaning way heavier on the former, and less on the latter.

In my head I'm basically seeing it as MGSV sandbox style gameplay, with a higher emphasis on getting from point A to B alive, and weird ass characters and moments, and less emphasis on combat.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 30, 2019, 02:19:32 pm »

I do not have high hopes. The combat looked bad and the stealth looked like it could be another "If you squat and shit 10 meters in front of me, I can't see you because you're crouching" fest.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 30, 2019, 11:39:26 pm »

I do not have high hopes. The combat looked bad and the stealth looked like it could be another "If you squat and shit 10 meters in front of me, I can't see you because you're crouching" fest.

can't believe that pushing and shoving that was shown was the actual combat system, for one it was too fluid and continuous, not even batman did hand to hand that well, it looked as if it was segment of stealth gameplay and segment of in game action cutscenes stitched to make them both seem player controllable, either combat it's severely hand-held or the avatar control is going to be a bitch

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 31, 2019, 12:23:10 am »

Not sure what you mean, that melee combat looks almost the same as MGSV, with the little combo you can do by mashing the button next to an enemy. It certainly doesn't look like an in-engine cutscene.

Interesting to note the narrative theme of tethers. Spooky ghost umbilical cords, connections between people, and... well, rope physics. The promise of being able to stick down a rope tether anywhere and using that to navigate difficult terrain? Yeah, that sounds like interesting gameplay to me.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 31, 2019, 03:33:06 pm »

It looks like this is going to focus on the conflict between "holding on" and "letting go" (both things you do with a rope). The world is changed forever and people who won't accept that reality have a connection to the dead and can sense them. But those who let go can't protect themselves from anything because they can't sense the dead and don't have the human social structure at their backs.

Bridge babies are a technological solution to this, but are clearly ethically unacceptable and seem to have a health backlash on the people who use them, probably because those people are all ones who let go.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 01, 2019, 06:38:34 pm »

The story/cut-scenes looked great, and whilst I'm sure it'll be pretentious and weird it'll at least be a spectacle.

However I thought the gameplay looked pretty rubbish. The combat and stealth looked really flimsy and whilst I'm interested at how free form the traversal stuff (like ropes and ladders) will be I imagine it'll wear off fast. I guess I was just hoping for more of a sort of survival horror type game (in terms of gameplay) rather than an open world stealthy loot thing.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 12, 2019, 04:57:38 pm »

RISE ONCE MORE!!!

A good chunk of varied gameplay, even if it is in japanese, most of it is fairly understandable. Focus seems to be on resource managment and the risk/reward of running lean or just gearing up as much as you can to prepare for every eventuality. The walking parts seem a bit tedious but it'll depend on how long those stretch out between something interesting happening or being found. Bossfight seemed cool as well, just wondering if those are a preset thing or if you randomly run into them (additionally if the world itself is a set thing or somewhat procedural, tho judging from the DS-like multiplayer interaction its probably a set one) since that could get pretty taxing and tedious if they keep ganking you on a regular basis.

Still, looks cool, and there's an actual game there, among the classic Kojima-crazy everything else.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 12, 2019, 11:52:11 pm »

When you look at a game you kind of come to understand it by what it prioritizes. This game.....has a really odd selection of priorities.

It's the kind of thing I could almost take seriously until you see Norman Reedus running full speed with 12 crates strapped to his back and forearms.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 13, 2019, 12:11:36 am »

Strapping crates to your entire body.
Walking.
Drinking from a magic canteen that transforms water into energy drink.
Finding things other people have set up.
Changing your boots.
Walking.
Taking the cargo off your hover pallet and using it as a skateboard.
Sneaking up behind baddies and tying them up with magic strands.
And taking their shit.
Running up to a moving car using your speedu skeleton and hijacking it.
Walking.
Finding ghosts and successfully sneaking past them.
Shooting at ghosts anyway and inevitably getting dragged off to fight a giant tar tentacle panther.
Tossing grenades infused with your own blood at the monster.
Finding a motorbike in the middle of nowhere.
Abandoning said motorbike in the middle of nowhere due to a few little rocks.
Walking.

Needless to say, I see this as strong demonstration of gameplay.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 13, 2019, 08:27:19 am »

As a dude with long hair, what kind of magic bullshit hair tie is not!Reedus using?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 16, 2019, 11:53:13 am »

Saw first half of video, has engrish subtitles now.

Game has a demons' soul kinda vibe to it, but with a super duper computer instead of magical fuckery.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 28, 2019, 11:42:01 am »

News happened. I suppose it's almost exactly the same as the news Jopax posted but I didn't watch that video.

But we've now got a PC release date so yay.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 12:15:41 pm by Mephisto »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 28, 2019, 12:12:49 pm »

Oh, neat.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 07, 2019, 09:15:45 am »

watching a stream of it now here: https://www.twitch.tv/fextralife

i'm really not sure what to think of any of this. is any of this supposed to make sense? ah, well.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 07, 2019, 09:29:28 am »

this is so goddamn bonkers
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9