Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Death Stranding: A Hideo Kojima Game  (Read 17967 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Death Stranding: A Hideo Kojima Game
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2017, 07:01:57 pm »

Oooh, I like it a lot.

The first trailer I was very meh about. This one seems more Kojima with the whole technocrazy shtick. I like how alien and surreal it is while still at least now being somewhat more grounded. The first trailer had no basis in reality whatsoever.

I think Kojima just likes movie stars though, but I'll admit he has done well with it so far. I know it's heresy, but I think Keifer Sutherland did a very good job as Snake despite how few actual in-game lines he had. He delivered very well and while old Snake was more campy, I connected better with Sutherland Snake. Robert Atkin Downes also did very well as Miller, spawning a million memes.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2017, 12:48:02 am »

Every version of Norman looks like it crawled out of the same dumpster.

Still like what he's done though.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2017, 02:30:18 am »

Every version of Norman looks like it crawled out of the same dumpster.

Well, that's Florida for you. :P

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2018, 11:10:59 pm »

The way that apparently you're immortal, but your death damages the environment reminds me of Valley.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2018, 03:10:16 pm »

Just watched the E3 trailer. Weird as fuck, but... I'm getting 80s vibes from it? And it looks open world? I'm getting interested.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2018, 03:47:15 pm »

I always wondered if Metal Gear: Survive was Konami's attempt at using whatever notes Kojima left in the office, and the more I hear about Death Stranding the more I see similarities between the two, at least at the conceptual level.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2018, 08:09:40 pm »

Hideo's thing should hopefully at least be more stylish and less generic than Survive. I hope.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2018, 08:29:19 pm »

I never thought trudging through alpine wastes with a hundred pounds of spooky time packages on your back could look so sweet.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2018, 01:52:17 pm »

Definitely looks open world - I'm kinda...sceptical. I'm sure it'll have some good bits, but I can imagine it might be way too much trudging around really nice looking (but empty) areas with the same old 'locate the 10 items of exciting lore!' side quests.

fingers crossed he does something just completely different
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2018, 03:24:53 pm »

Idk, I've grown somewhat attached to big open worlds... There's something to be said for making the atmosphere of the game just SO GOOD that you can't help but play. Breath of the Wild, Red Read Redemption, et al. MGSV would have PROBABLY been there if Kojima had actually finished it... hard to say. These types of games are few and far between--but if there's anyone who can pull it off, it's ya boi Hideo.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2018, 03:26:33 pm »

Heh, if this is "Zelda, but what if a Hideo Kojima production?" I'd be very happy.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2018, 04:37:05 pm »

Idk, I've grown somewhat attached to big open worlds... There's something to be said for making the atmosphere of the game just SO GOOD that you can't help but play. Breath of the Wild, Red Read Redemption, et al. MGSV would have PROBABLY been there if Kojima had actually finished it... hard to say. These types of games are few and far between--but if there's anyone who can pull it off, it's ya boi Hideo.

I know what you mean - I've been going back and playing a few older games recently which sorta had semi-open worlds and it feels very restricting. I guess I just don't want to see Hideo's majesty bogged down in 'collect 100 gold coins!' and pointless crafting.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2018, 07:53:46 pm »

Didn't know about what this was until today, but it's intriguing but also Kojima. And I dislike games made by Kojima because they're always way too dramatic.

What I've gathered:

-Scary infection tentacle monsters
-Timeform
-Explosions?
-Babies are the universal panacea
-Kojima should just read SCP Foundation to understand how to make horror without being stupid dramatic
-That baby is important somehow, and has a name that I can't make out
-No shortage of akward camera pans in to the eyes of females, something MSGV also excelled at
-Shadow beasts, and people seem to dissolve into shadows when they die

Theory: Infection came, people die and turn into shadows that eat other people. In some circumstances they also turn into tentacle skeleton monsters. Military tried to fight it (thus tentacle tanks), and there's this really important baby that is immune or something. They're trying to take the baby somewhere but progress is impeded because when you inevitably get eaten by the tentacle people while holding the baby you BTFO of everything around you and jump back in time. Also huge scary monsters, because Japanese horror tropes are a Kojima staple. Not to mention a budget love story wrapped in all of this. Bet there are giant robots involved somewhere too.

101% Kojima

Edit: I figured it out. The baby is that black giant dude's baby and he just wants his baby back so he attacked the entire world and can't kill the protagonist because he is holding his baby hostage. Someone kidnapped an eldritch god's baby and now he's really pissed or something.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 07:56:07 pm by Vivalas »
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2018, 07:59:31 pm »

The popular consensus about the baby is that the rain/shadow creatures accelerate time (hence, "timefall"). The baby is a backup connected by the umbilical to Norman Reedus. When Reedus gets eaten by time, he ages to dust, but the baby ages to be the age he is, and his mind is transferred over.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2018, 08:10:19 pm »

The popular consensus about the baby is that the rain/shadow creatures accelerate time (hence, "timefall"). The baby is a backup connected by the umbilical to Norman Reedus. When Reedus gets eaten by time, he ages to dust, but the baby ages to be the age he is, and his mind is transferred over.

That's actually pretty neat, now if only everything else actually made sense. What about the huge craters though?
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9