Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Death Stranding: A Hideo Kojima Game  (Read 17805 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Death Stranding: A Hideo Kojima Game
« Reply #90 on: June 17, 2018, 09:41:48 pm »

What we know about Death Stranding so far suggests some sort of "eldritch apocalypse" scenario, so nothing is likely to be coherent until you, you know.

Play the game.

Personally, I think MGS makes perfect (internal) sense, with the exception of retcons like Liquid not knowing fucking anything about how genetics work.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 18, 2018, 10:33:39 pm »

I think there's a difference between 'Rule of Cool' to gloss over technical impossibility or general implausibility, and 'random shit that makes no sense and no one has tried'. It can be a paper thin plot, with more holes than a golf course, and a lack of any sort of proper explanation for technology/science as long as it is actually fully coherent and makes sense within it's own world.

It's just when it's 'and there are these monsters that are like tentacles from the past maybe or the future but anyway they have really big hands and don't like breathing and then some babies are in tubes lol idk' it sounds more like that stoner mate from college rather than a plot I want to spend 20 hours with.
"This is a robot powered by a psychic child who can literally summon fire from thin air to make a giant flaming whale and by the way at the same time as controlling this robot the kid also controls a semi-dead zombie general (who could control lightning like goddamn Zeus) and is able to phase him in and out of reality while summoning him for no real apparent reason. Oh and that guy is on fire too. And is invincible. Except to water."

"A fucking, literal VAMPIRE. No wait. A nanomachine-powered vampire with ninja powers, unlimited knives, and the ability to manipulate actual shadows into weapons. Oh, and he can control gravity. And walk on water. Wait, make him look like Jesus while he walks on water. Oh and make him really want to die. Oh and he can predict your movements based on the way your muscles contract but it's fine if you wear clothes that hide your muscles. Oh and his name is Vamp, but not because he's a vampire who sucks blood and can't die. His name is Vamp because he's gay."

*insert Liquid Ocelot / Revolver Ocelot here, because I tried to write a satirical account of his story but I couldn't outdo how ridiculous his story already is*

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 19, 2018, 01:34:05 am »

And I loved every bit of it. Except the robodick cannon. That's never justified. A giant battlemech is compensation enough.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 19, 2018, 08:46:39 pm »

Honestly, if you're not here for the >> A Hideo Kojima Production << then you probably won't like this.

I think interesting game ideas can be enjoyed in part and criticized in part because of the same mistakes the producer makes.

I liked MGSV. At least gameplay wise. The gameplay is great. It's probably one of the best stealh games I've played. I feel like a badass assassin while playing.

But everything else is shit. The story is insane and unrealistic. Fighting the Skulls is probably the worst scenes in the game, and the constant inclusion of credits after every cutscene, before every mission, and the weird poses and dramatic interactions between characters kills it for me. When ever I play MGSV, I always think it would have been an amazing game if they even just put a basic Hollywood B-movie action plot in it, and left the amazing gameplay in. Sneaking into military bases and infiltrating is great, the other stupid parts of the game aren't.
Why are we still here? Just to suffer? Every night I can feel unfinished storylines... and dialogue, even gameplay.
It's like it was actually complete... I'm going to make them give me back my hope.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 24, 2018, 07:43:29 pm »

Another teaser. Lots of Egyptian flavor around here.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 24, 2018, 08:06:04 pm »

Oh, so now Ocelot is a guy who talks to us and summons big angry boss monsters. Minor improvement from MGSV.
Kappa
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Slax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 25, 2018, 10:13:03 am »

Gotta be honest here. I don't even see a game. A walking in the rain simulator? Standing in the rain? Sitting in the rain? Dying and being reborn in the rain?
It's pretty and all but... where's the GAME?! Always did like the MGS games. Cutscenes were good flavor and the gameplay was usually fun but this? I don't know, man. Just seems like walking from one cutscene to the next at this point. A movie on legs... with typical Kojima shenanigans in between? Hoping for the best doesn't really pay off these days.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 25, 2018, 10:31:39 am »

The E3 presentation showed some apparent gameplay. Looked like a "gather detritus from your environment and craft shit" type of game at first glance.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 25, 2018, 12:43:20 pm »

The E3 presentation showed some apparent gameplay. Looked like a "gather detritus from your environment and craft shit" type of game at first glance.

Death Stranding: totally not what we made Metal Gear: Survive a tech demo of.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 25, 2018, 03:20:05 pm »

Latest trailer dropped. Some on Kotaku or something was complaining it looks like a boss fight, but I see no evidence that you're actually going to try and fight the thing, rather than run from it.
One wheel short of a wagon

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 25, 2018, 04:34:48 pm »

I mean, the dialogue very much implies that fighting the thing isn't an option.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 26, 2018, 09:15:25 am »

it's quicktime events all the way trough cutscenes

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 26, 2018, 10:14:59 am »

Still better than putting up a fence and hitting things with a stick.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 30, 2019, 04:53:42 am »

RISE THREAD TO WITNESS GAMEPLAY AND A LAUNCH DATE

So that's a thing. Answers some questions while posing a bunch of others. From the looks of it, gonna be some sort of open world sneaky delivery simulator, tho I wonder, exactly how open and big it's gonna be, considering the hardware limitations (even with PS5 on the horizon) and the tools shown for getting around it, if they're gonna be more gimmicks than anything else, or actual tools we'll have to use to efficently move around. Also vehicles, atleast one?

The story on the other hand is a bit more interesting now? From the looks of it, some sort of tech meant to do something good went terribly bad and basically linked our reality with the land of the dead? And now there's shit going now linked to that, some folks want to use it, others want to fix it maybe? The babies make a bit more sense now, maybe? Like, new life being a link between the worlds, or especially attuned to it, so they're used like disposable detectors of bad mojo. The death world stuff seems cool, replaying memories of great loss with some folks being able to use that?

All in all, suprisingly soon in terms of release date, wasn't expecting for anything to come out of this for another year or so atleast, especially when you consider how big the whole thing seems to be, tho I guess Sony could've just sank bajillions of monies into this and they'll have it as a flagship title for the PS5, but it's kinda wierd that it's coming out this year when PS5 is probably next year?
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 30, 2019, 01:55:28 pm »

Finally, some gameplay and not just teaser stuff.  Can finally say that it looks neat instead of like pretentious nonsense and overpromising concept trailers.  And yeah I was not expecting it to come out so soon after the gameplay trailer finally got released, even if it HAS been teased for like what, 3-4 years now?  I guess they were playing their cards close to the chest.

I guess it'll be neat to see the Kojima writing weirdness un-hitched from the MGS lore and topics that've been done/discussed/expected.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9