Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Death Stranding: A Hideo Kojima Game  (Read 17963 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Death Stranding: A Hideo Kojima Game
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2018, 08:13:23 pm »

As the dialogue posits, Norman Reedus will "come back" but everything else will "be destroyed". I suppose causing the shadow creatures to become aggressive might make them time accelerate everything in a certain radius, destroying it all?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2018, 08:25:54 pm »

Honestly, if you're not here for the >> A Hideo Kojima Production << then you probably won't like this.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2018, 09:38:03 pm »

Honestly, if you're not here for the >> A Hideo Kojima Production << then you probably won't like this.

I think interesting game ideas can be enjoyed in part and criticized in part because of the same mistakes the producer makes.

I liked MGSV. At least gameplay wise. The gameplay is great. It's probably one of the best stealh games I've played. I feel like a badass assassin while playing.

But everything else is shit. The story is insane and unrealistic. Fighting the Skulls is probably the worst scenes in the game, and the constant inclusion of credits after every cutscene, before every mission, and the weird poses and dramatic interactions between characters kills it for me. When ever I play MGSV, I always think it would have been an amazing game if they even just put a basic Hollywood B-movie action plot in it, and left the amazing gameplay in. Sneaking into military bases and infiltrating is great, the other stupid parts of the game aren't.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 14, 2018, 02:12:57 am »

Skulls sucked, especially female skulls. Basic gameplay loop of doing missions and getting loot is great though. Multiplayer was pretty fun, too.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 14, 2018, 02:41:37 am »

But everything else is shit. The story is insane and unrealistic. Fighting the Skulls is probably the worst scenes in the game, and the constant inclusion of credits after every cutscene, before every mission, and the weird poses and dramatic interactions between characters kills it for me. When ever I play MGSV, I always think it would have been an amazing game if they even just put a basic Hollywood B-movie action plot in it, and left the amazing gameplay in. Sneaking into military bases and infiltrating is great, the other stupid parts of the game aren't.

Couldn't agree more.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 14, 2018, 02:43:16 am »

Nothing made me sigh more than the robo-dick cannon. This at least seems to be cooked with less cheese.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 14, 2018, 09:38:04 am »

The popular consensus...

if you search hard enough the whole thing has been spoiled from start to end, don't know if what I read is true but there are multiple sources pointing at more or less the same plot.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 14, 2018, 11:38:27 am »

The popular consensus about the baby is that the rain/shadow creatures accelerate time (hence, "timefall"). The baby is a backup connected by the umbilical to Norman Reedus. When Reedus gets eaten by time, he ages to dust, but the baby ages to be the age he is, and his mind is transferred over.

I'm already feeling triggered by the implication that temporal acceleration can age a person without accompanying food, water, and other necessities. Also trying really hard not to imagine the massive pile of waste that would spontaneously appear from a fetus being rapidly aged to adulthood...

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 15, 2018, 07:10:02 am »

And I feel triggered if you try to apply reality to invisible time tentacles.

I like that Kojima goes with "Fuck you, figure it out yourself" to all the questions being asked.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 15, 2018, 02:18:20 pm »

I like that Kojima goes with "Fuck you, figure it out yourself" to all the questions being asked.

As long as there is an answer and it's not just 'because it's weirrrrrdddd maaaan'
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 15, 2018, 03:54:01 pm »

I think interesting game ideas can be enjoyed in part and criticized in part because of the same mistakes the producer makes.

I liked MGSV. At least gameplay wise. The gameplay is great. It's probably one of the best stealh games I've played. I feel like a badass assassin while playing.

Why are we still here? Just to suffer? Every night I can feel unfinished storylines... and dialogue, even gameplay.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 15, 2018, 04:03:52 pm »

Anyone expecting a solid answer to any of Kojimas pseudoscience is probably going to be disappointed. He's always been a Rule of Cool kind of guy. My money's on us getting long cinematics and short answers. Hopefully though the writing and humor has a more Western feel than Metal Gear did.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 15, 2018, 10:32:24 pm »

Anyone expecting a solid answer to any of Kojimas pseudoscience is probably going to be disappointed. He's always been a Rule of Cool kind of guy. My money's on us getting long cinematics and short answers. Hopefully though the writing and humor has a more Western feel than Metal Gear did.
Yeah.

Some of the things on here were like... "you've never played a Kojima game before have you?". There's no explanations to this kind of shit. Most of the time it's like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke1YKF3tNCE

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 17, 2018, 05:42:38 pm »

I think there's a difference between 'Rule of Cool' to gloss over technical impossibility or general implausibility, and 'random shit that makes no sense and no one has tried'. It can be a paper thin plot, with more holes than a golf course, and a lack of any sort of proper explanation for technology/science as long as it is actually fully coherent and makes sense within it's own world.

It's just when it's 'and there are these monsters that are like tentacles from the past maybe or the future but anyway they have really big hands and don't like breathing and then some babies are in tubes lol idk' it sounds more like that stoner mate from college rather than a plot I want to spend 20 hours with.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 17, 2018, 09:38:46 pm »

The plot of all the MGS games combined actually ends up being legibly coherent--even if theme, pacing, and fan service/weird kojima shit get in the way. (note: SPECIFICALLY the MGS games, discount everything else.)
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9