Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 69

Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild: SEQUEL ANNOUNCED  (Read 97687 times)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild: SEQUEL ANNOUNCED
« on: June 14, 2016, 08:08:57 pm »

A DIRECT SEQUEL HAS BEEN ANNOUNCED TO BE IN PRODUCTION

Spoiler: The original OP (click to show/hide)

So lets discuss, share theories, and HYPE!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 10:50:06 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 08:46:27 pm »

I only got to see about an hour of gameplay during the Treehouse because of work, but the parts I did see were pretty awesome, speaking as someone who isn't too especially into the LoZ games.

One of the biggest things I'm looking forwards to is the weapon variety. Swinging the same sword around can become a bit tiresome, but being able to switch it up with different weapons types will hopefully keep things fresh. Apparently there's a 'Hero Time' mechanic when you dodge but I didn't get to see it. I did see at one point the demonstrator jumped off a cliff and drew her bow, which activated hero time so she could shoot two bokoblins(?)before she touched the ground.

-Link can jump
To clarify, there is a button specifically to jump, you don't need to run at the edge of geometry anymore to trigger it.
Also, you forgot to mention that Link can climb things such as rock cliffs and some walls, as long as there could plausibly be handholds to do so. Sanctums (or whatever they're called) have smooth walls that cannot be climbed.

I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but there's an item called the "Sheikah Slate(?)" that sort of resembles a smartphone (and I assume acts like Navi, Tatle, Fi etc. from previous games, again didn't get to see much). So, why is nobody bringing this up? Doesn't anyone notice how Nintendo loves to sort of add in gadgets that kinda resemble the controller that the system uses? (Pikmin 3 comes to mind E: Also the Stone of Agony from LoZ:OOT). This is probably going to be a launch title for the NX. Just saying...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 08:52:06 pm by OzyTheSage »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 08:54:09 pm »

That. That list of observations. What. Like. It sounds fairly amazing. But. In a zelda game? Beating things to death with their own arms in a zelda game? Apparent Souls inspiration? Zelda's been plenty grim in the past, but... not exactly visceral about it.

What the hell is even going on here. I'm not even exactly complaining, but holy mother of thematic whiplash and apparently near complete gameplay departure. Breaking the conventions of zelda, indeed. I can already hear the cries of Zelda in Name Only, ahaha.

E: Sweet buggery there's a stamina bar.

E2: Yeah, holy hell, this is... this is not a zelda game. Is my immediate reaction. It looks amazing, but it also looks like someone decided to tear off the zelda franchise's skin and wear it like a hat. A very fancy zelda skin hat.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 09:02:07 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 09:05:44 pm »

Well, Skyward Sword had a stamina bar. People also said that Darksiders was basically Zelda, so I don't think adding new mechanics this way is really too much of a departure, perhaps more like an evolution. It still looks much like a Zelda game to me. Although, we got to see very little. Did we even get to see any NPCs? Will there be musical instruments, and if so will there be songs to learn or will you have the super awkward Skyward Sword method of playing?

E: Regardless of if it's true to the Zelda formula or not I'm liking what I see.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 09:09:00 pm »

Eeehhh... did forget about skyward. Haven't played it and all that.

And yeah, it looks like a zelda game. The aesthetics are like dead on, barring the whole aged and broken sort of thing. It's just, like. Everything else.

Re: NPCs, that youtube link furt posted, about pieces, had two different NPCs in the first video, before at least the 20 minute mark.

As for not seeing much... it looks like there's something like two or three hours of gameplay in that bloody playlist, maybe more. It's showing a hell of a lot.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 09:13:05 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 09:16:15 pm »

Yeah, there were several hours of gameplay shown today. However, in one of them, they were interviewing some of the folks who created it, and they mentioned that towns and such were removed from the E3 demo to avoid story spoilers. So they are there, just ripped out for this.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 09:19:39 pm »

Though just to make things clear, the stuff really does look bloody amazing. S'just so much bloody dissonance going on between my previous experiences with the zelda franchise and... this. Like I said, watching this is like watching an amazingly skilled slicked up athlete bending in very appealing ways... while wearing a zelda skin hat.
Ask not!
Ask!

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 09:23:33 pm »

Holy carp that list of things you can do is amazing.

... Time to finally think about shelling out for a Wii-U, I guess. :/

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 09:26:36 pm »

-Freaking huge hyrule with a map made from stitching together all the hyrule maps from throughout the series. (East coast made from the early Zelda maps, while the modern Hyrule from OOT and TP makes up the west.
Oh, neat-o. Like, Adventure of Link east coast, or just Zelda 1 east coast?
-Stealth mechanics
Metal Gear Zolid: Breath of the Wind
-More complex fighting with parrying and dodges and stuff
I hope it's better than Skyward Sword had. I love Skyward Sword's gameplay but my unicorn impregnator has this really nasty tendency to screw itself up halfway through a major boss fight.
-You can steal enemy's weapons. This is extra important because weapon durability is a thing
Zelda Emblem: Link's Second Awakening So Far
-There's hunting and gathering and a cooking/potion making system
I suppose this is to be expected, given their open-world approach. Not what I'd expect from Zelda, but it sounds fun.
-There's swappable clothing and armor. Link's been shown in the trailer wearing a full set of armor (well sans helmet anyways)
Aww man, I've gotta admit I'm not happy to see this one. My sister was ecstatic about it when I read your list off to her, though.
-Physics mechanics
*crosses fingers for Oblivion-paintbrush-style bugs*
-There are scattered field bosses.
Oh, sounds like they're taking inspiration from Xenoblade there. Not that that's a bad thing.
-Cutting tall grass will not drop things, instead you can regain health by eating food.
:c

RIP Link, part-time hero, full-time lawn mower
-You can use your shield to surf on the snow
Oh man, the return of SSX Zelda? Sweet.
-Link can jump
WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ZELDA?! WHERE IS THE REAL ONE?! :P

I think it seems good, although I'll have to check out the video tomorrow.

By the sounds of it, they've taken cues from other popular games and given them their own Zelda spin. The multiple weapon types, weapon durability, and armor equipping sounds very WRPGish. The field bosses thing, as I said, sounds like a total rip from Xenoblade, which IIRC Nintendo feels is one of their second- or third-tier major IPs due to the retroactive success of Chronicles and success of X. The hunting and crafting mechanics feel like a vague attempt to attract Minecraft players?

In any case, the adoption of popular mechanics from other games seems like a good move. I must admit that Zelda feels kind of... stagnant? Basically every 3D game since OoT relied on "gimmicks" to be differentiated gameplay-wise from Ocarina. Majora's Mask has the (really clever) 3-day cycle; Wind Waker has the ocean; Twilight Princess's gimmick is that it's a re-imagined OoT; Skyward Sword had the Loftwing riding and improved motion controls. But this one just has a straight-up new formula, with all this extra stuff.

I wonder if it'll break the Zelda Cycle? If it's as good as it sounds, I don't doubt that the fanbase at large will love it instead of clinging to Skyward Sword for dear life. If it doesn't live up to expectations, though, I'm worried it could damage the franchise. It seems really good but if it doesn't pan out right I feel like it could get written off as, like, an Elder Scrolls knockoff, or a cheap attempt by Nintendo to ape the WPRG genre in general.

Have any memes spawned from this yet?
Holy carp that list of things you can do is amazing.

... Time to finally think about shelling out for a Wii-U, I guess. :/
Same here.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 09:32:22 pm »

Like I said, watching this is like watching an amazingly skilled slicked up athlete bending in very appealing ways... while wearing a zelda skin hat.
https://youtu.be/rtZwAGNVjc0?t=1h28m
Enjoy. :v

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2016, 09:41:35 pm »

Oh my goddesses
Quote from: Wikipedia
It is also the first Legend of Zelda title to feature voice acting
GET HYPE

Spoiler: dank memery (click to show/hide)
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2016, 09:42:37 pm »

https://youtu.be/rtZwAGNVjc0?t=1h28m
Enjoy. :v
Topless is not oiled up and bending >:(

Well. Not necessarily anyway. And not in that particular case.
Ask not!
Ask!

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2016, 10:06:39 pm »

Added some more stuff to the list that was missing and/or was mentioned in thread. There shall be no HEY LISTEN! companion equivalent in this game for one thing.

-Freaking huge hyrule with a map made from stitching together all the hyrule maps from throughout the series. (East coast made from the early Zelda maps, while the modern Hyrule from OOT and TP makes up the west.
Oh, neat-o. Like, Adventure of Link east coast, or just Zelda 1 east coast?
From what I heard it was the Zelda 1+2 coast.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 10:48:29 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2016, 12:06:58 am »

Added some more stuff to the list that was missing and/or was mentioned in thread. There shall be no HEY LISTEN! companion equivalent in this game for one thing.
Which is ironic, because this is the first LoZ game in which the world is pretty vast and it would be kind of nice to have a traveling companion. :P

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2016, 12:29:02 am »

Well, it would probably be more difficult to make a companion like that for a game where you could do anything at any time. Unless the game is in segments where you can choose to do any three things in order to unlock the next three things to do to progress, it'd be difficult to give direction. I suppose they could have a 'suggested order to do things' that the guide could relay to you. Perhaps this is Nintendo looking back at previous games and noticing how one of the criticisms was how annoying the companion was, so they opted to just not have one at all.

Besides, I would prefer a more Monster Hunter approach. Talk to NPCs and they will tell you rumors about things happening in the world or the location of things that could help the player progress. They could also tell you weaknesses of some monsters. If the game is really clever then it will keep track of whether have trouble dealing with a certain enemy type and NPCs might mention "Stalfos are my mortal enemy so I always have X type of weapon handy" so the player is getting information that is more relevant. Granted, it would be more helpful to have the immediate feedback of someone being there with you to tell you what you're doing wrong, but it could also be considered to be chiding the player. "Wow you're really bad at this, let me tell you how to beat them."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 69