Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69

Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild: SEQUEL ANNOUNCED  (Read 96452 times)

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild: SEQUEL ANNOUNCED
« Reply #1005 on: June 05, 2023, 11:50:34 pm »

I haven't played BotW or TotK, but this is a Zelda game, and with a couple of exceptions these games aren't big on continuity.

This is true, but this is the first time a Zelda game "sequel" has actually reused most of the same world, right?  Majora's Mask is effectively a sequel to Ocarina of Time, but it takes place in an entirely different location and all, for example.  As far as I can remember, every other game introduces an entirely new version of Hyrule so that the lack of continuity doesn't feel as weird.  Maybe some of the 2D games are different since I haven't played any but the original.

Link to the Past had a sequel on the 3DS, if I remember correctly, which I think shared a lot of the same map.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #1006 on: June 08, 2023, 08:28:26 am »

Yeah A Link Between Worlds reused the map layout from LttP, though rebuilt from the ground.

For the disappearance of Sheikah tech, I always thought that the ancient tech was inactive except in the presence of Calamity Ganon, and the tech coming active and unburying itself before BOTW was how they knew the big G was about to strike?

I can chalk up the map not being littered with dead Guardians to just conservation of detail. But it makes sense without CG around that the tech is not active anymore except in the few instances they tried really hard to jury rig it with the towers (which took like 5 years, going by how Hudon's kid has aged). Likewise the Sheikah Slate would have stopped working after BOTW which is why Purah had to study it to build the Purah Pad.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 08:39:32 am by MorleyDev »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: June 08, 2023, 11:04:44 am »

Had a fun time getting a dragon's claw for a quest.

First attempt: I teleported to Death Mountain and use the paraglider to reach the dragon.  Pulled out my bow, and the motion controls freaked out and caused Link to aim at the ground.  Spent 5 seconds desperately trying to fix that before my stamina ran out.  I bounced down the mountain, wasted a fairy, and ended up with 1.5 hearts left after Link stopped tumbling.

Anger.  Try again.

Teleported to the nearby tower and flew to the dragon.  Shot its claw and saw one sail off downward.  Excellent.  "The air is so hot it's burning!"  Link catches fire despite my flamebreaker armor, and dies in the air before I can do anything about it.

Anger.  Try again.

Respawn and do the whole thing again.  Actually survive this time with 3 hearts and grab the claw from the ground.  Oh, a cave.  Head inside, killed by a horriblin.  Oh well, I have the claw, so I go to turn it in.

What's this?  There's no claw in my inventory!  I guess dying to the horriblin took me back to before I picked it up?

Anger.  Try again.

Teleport back to Death Mountain.  Repeat the process.  Fly to the dragon, fire three arrows that sail through its claws and feet without spawning any drops.  Almost fall to my death again.

Anger.  Try again.

Teleport back to the tower again, finally get a claw to spawn and pick it up again only to find... I did have the claw the whole time.  It just didn't sort to the end of the list, so I couldn't find it.

And the reward for all of that?  A ruby, and another quest.  I assume I get rare armor or a heart for the end of it all, but we'll see...
Through pain, I find wisdom.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: June 08, 2023, 03:39:57 pm »

Step 1: land on the dragon
Step 2: walk along the spine and grab some items as you go
Step 3: aim at claw over the side and shoot or jump off and slow mo shoot at the claws. you want to be close

It's fairly easy. Are you too far from the console or putting a body part in the way? You certainly don't have to paraglide all the way to the ground to get the claw. Just skydive most of the way.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 03:42:03 pm by BigD145 »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: June 08, 2023, 04:08:34 pm »

I'm not sure why the motion controls went so crazy, but I've found that using the bow in general has been very awkward due to them and I've considered turning them off.  Sometimes it helps fine tune shots, but mostly gets in the way.  I play the game with just the joycons disconnected from the console, but it would probably suck less if I used a pro controller or something.

Anyway, I'd heard you could walk or ride on the dragons but haven't tried it.  Evidently that would have been a bad idea for that dragon since it set me on fire despite the armor, and I assume the others have environmental effects like that that also have to be countered.

Oh, and I didn't paraglide down to the ground.  When I fell to my doom it was just me running out of stamina due to the bullet time effect from using the bow and panicking when the controls screwed up.

Edit: I may have swapped my armor out, now that I think about it.  It was good enough inside of Death Mountain so it should have protected me if I had it on.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 04:10:50 pm by Telgin »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: June 08, 2023, 05:39:58 pm »

I either play in handheld mode or with the basic controllers in the grip.

Have a few stamina potions in your inventory for emergencies. Use a blade in the central field and swing at the grass. Grasshoppers will appear. They are the majority of the ingredients needed.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #1011 on: June 08, 2023, 06:11:38 pm »

I think you need two levels of Flame Protection to not spontaneously combust from the dragon.

And I get wanting Motion Controls on, they're the best compensation for the lack of fine-grain control you get with a Joystick compared to a mouse. Not as good, but...well, better at least.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: June 08, 2023, 08:45:45 pm »

For the disappearance of Sheikah tech, I always thought that the ancient tech was inactive except in the presence of Calamity Ganon, and the tech coming active and unburying itself before BOTW was how they knew the big G was about to strike?
It's probably worth noting that for a fair amount of sheikah stuff in the previous game, if you go to their location in totk there's apparently, well. Holes. Some of them going even deeper than the depths you have access to.

So there's not much active commentary in game on what happened to the stuff, but there's definitely less explicit indication something did. Game's just cagey about it, more or less. Why, I'unno. Maybe they're saving it for a DLC or somethin'.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: June 08, 2023, 09:54:34 pm »

Only some NPCs seem to remember Link. You'd think more in Hateno village would recognize him, considering he was supposedly around when Zelda was setting up the school (after she stole his house.)
Actually, I dont think she stole his house, there's some hints that Zelda and Link are *ahem* roommates.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 09:59:59 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: June 08, 2023, 11:02:02 pm »

Among other things, you can still sleep in that bed for free. That, and if you did the Champion's Ballad DLC in BotW and got the portrait that gets put in your house, that portrait is still there.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: June 09, 2023, 12:30:08 am »

And the reward for all of that?  A ruby, and another quest.  I assume I get rare armor or a heart for the end of it all, but we'll see...

Spoiler: Nope (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2023, 01:10:01 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: June 13, 2023, 10:30:27 am »

Well, that's good to know.  I probably should have snagged a claw from the light dragon while I was there, but for spoilery reasons I didn't get a good chance.

On that note... I finally figured out how to get past the Lost Woods.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #1017 on: June 13, 2023, 10:41:52 am »

A good guide to exploring the depths is

Also I don't recommend this until after beating the main game personally, but when in completion/full exploration mode,

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: June 25, 2023, 08:50:15 am »

Just started playing this. Did start by feeling "more of the same"-ish from Breath of the Wild, but I'm starting see some of the new stuff. Building stuff with Ultrahand is actually more fun than it should be.

One of the first things I did upon
was try to build a wagon out of a material cache. Even with a fan it didn't go very far. Much later, I find you do in fact get a towing hitch for your horse, meaning you can build your own horse-drawn wagon for whatever reason. An early sidequest even has you doing this for someone else.

And speaking of horses, if you have BotW save data, your horses from that game transfer over.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: June 25, 2023, 01:40:59 pm »

Just started playing this. Did start by feeling "more of the same"-ish from Breath of the Wild, but I'm starting see some of the new stuff. Building stuff with Ultrahand is actually more fun than it should be.

One of the first things I did upon
was try to build a wagon out of a material cache. Even with a fan it didn't go very far. Much later, I find you do in fact get a towing hitch for your horse, meaning you can build your own horse-drawn wagon for whatever reason. An early sidequest even has you doing this for someone else.

And speaking of horses, if you have BotW save data, your horses from that game transfer over.

Your horses transfer over and if you have a certain amiibo you can make a twin of a certain horse. Problem is, you have a limit to horses you can hold. Perhaps "there can be only one" and the only way to lose a horse is to *redacted*.
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69