Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 69

Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild: SEQUEL ANNOUNCED  (Read 98036 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild
« Reply #855 on: April 05, 2017, 03:01:23 pm »

I have to admit... Link in this game reminds me of a character in this game (Yeah sorry can't get more descriptive than that) and whenever he ran out of ammo instead of reloading he just took out an entirely new pistol (I also believe he used two guns at once)

In fact Tedior from the Borderlands Series is exactly that... Each weapon actually represents an entire series of disposable weapons. You actually throw the weapons instead of reloading.

Link is EXACTLY like that :P

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: April 05, 2017, 03:21:43 pm »

null, it really isn't hard to act as if you're not saying the objective truth

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: April 05, 2017, 03:22:49 pm »

This stupid argument that it makes loot somehow more 'valuable' by making it completely throwaway is the most contrived thing I have ever seen.
If the weapons you acquired were completely throwaway, you would have no problem hurling them at enemies and breaking them instantly, correct? I can say with confidence that you don't do that in-game, because if you did, you would run out of weapons. You don't want to do that; you would rather have a full weapon inventory. That itself is proof that they have value. If every weapon you acquired had infinite uses, weapons you found later that were weaker would instantly become throwaway, and stronger weapons would cause all weaker weapons to become throwaway, right? Isn't that the same issue appearing due to a different cause?

Ok. In every game that has any weapon progression, the weapons will be valued as how effective they are in combat. Does not matter if there is a destructive value to the weapon or they are just ditched from being unable to keep up with the combat needs of the player to progress in the game.

Making a degradation system to make it a way to make weapons more valuable is very asinine. People tend to buy products that they can last as long as they should. Not many people go to Harbor Freight and think "hey this will last forever", they buy from Harbor Freight to just have disposable tools when they go to jobs that either going to be one shots or if they get stolen. Those same people have better tools and wouldn't think of using those as throw away tools due to the longevity the tool has.

I HATE maintenance tasks in everything that isn't a survival game, BotW is an adventure sandbox, and adding durability is a purely gamey way to force players to do shit they may well have no interest in doing.
What part of this is maintenance, aside from switching items and figuring out which ones you want to keep? Maintenance is being forced to play a silly minigame to repair your weapons. BoTW avoids that by just having them break. Players WANT to kill enemies, explore dungeons, and open chests, and guess what? All of these things reward you with weapons to refill your stock.

As stated before, where ANY game has combat and a way to acquire said weapons to take on the more difficult parts of the game. The said previous weapons fall out of favor due to their lack of damage dealing. It will happen and always happen.
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: April 05, 2017, 03:29:50 pm »

null, it really isn't hard to act as if you're not saying the objective truth

When you are arguing with someone who speaks in this way, this isn't a good way to approach them.

Remember the person you are speaking to believes in what they are saying and likely does believe it to be objective... and MAYBE it is objective.

As well to couch what you say as subjective is often an imposition in itself. People don't go "The sky is probably blue" or "One sky can be considered blue".

Especially when Null's opponents are not couching their own phrasing in such a way as to suggest possible fallibility. Suggesting this is more a double standard because Null has the more unpopular opinion than actual outright hostility. Meaning you will not endear yourself to such a person.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: April 05, 2017, 03:33:29 pm »

No, honestly he is right, I have a problem of stating my arguments in such a way that I can be construed as declaring a definitive truth, even when I don't intend to.  I also don't give a damn, as I will declare my position and defend it aggressively until disproven, and because this matter is inherently subjective, it is not provable or disprovable.

I'm not here to win popularity contests.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 03:35:39 pm by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: April 05, 2017, 03:36:52 pm »

At least it goes well with your sig.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: April 05, 2017, 03:44:42 pm »

No, honestly he is right

It is more that there are ways to talk to someone. To say "Stop talking like your right" usually won't fly.

There are better ways of handling someone being overly aggressive with their opinions. The best is typically to acknowledge it and not to offer any counter so they don't have to be on the offensive or defensive.

In fact thank them for their opinion and say it really rounds out your knowledge of the game.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 03:46:39 pm by Neonivek »

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: April 05, 2017, 03:46:34 pm »

I'm fine with it, hell, I do it too.  I'm working on that, but ingrained behavior is a bitch to break.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: April 05, 2017, 06:27:24 pm »

My opinion might be a bit skewed, too, because my most recent memories of the game are late-game, at which point it's not uncommon for a large number of enemies to carry Royal-tier weapons (which are quite good all around). Early game, admittedly, you'll be stuck with crappy stuff, but that's just how the progression works.

I have also never once run low on weapons to use. I've run out of shields due to highly aggressive shield-surfing, but my weapon (bow and melee) inventory has remained full or almost full constantly.

I suppose people with different playstyles might run into different problems, though. Like, I said, I broke all my shields at one point, so I guess it wouldn't be unheard of for someone to break most of their weapons.

Also!
There are better ways of handling someone being overly aggressive with their opinions. The best is typically to acknowledge it and not to offer any counter so they don't have to be on the offensive or defensive.

In fact thank them for their opinion and say it really rounds out your knowledge of the game.
This won't work on everyone. In fact, it pisses me off most when people refuse to argue even though their opinion clearly differs, because... there's nothing you can do about that, you know? It's annoying when you want to have a discussion and the other party just says "Lol nope." It also leads me to believe that they're just afraid their opinion won't hold up, which makes me respect them less, which makes me more likely to continue trying to argue with them...

In short, argument is important. It's fine to recognize that you won't agree (AFTER you've argued), but refusing to offer anything to a person who wants to argue is possibly one of the most damaging things you can do.

Which is exactly why I responded to...
That is my perspective, your argument is moot to me and I have no interest in debating the subject further.
...with more argument. To me, it felt like a retreat, especially after I saw several points brought up where every one of them was backed with somewhat violent language (which I typically interpret as a last resort when logic fails).

Am I an analytical asshole? Maybe. But I pride myself on being willing to change my opinion of anything given sufficient reason. So, yeah. I love arguing. It's equivalent to learning.

I like this kind of discussion.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: April 05, 2017, 08:34:24 pm »

Link in this game reminds me of a character in this game (Yeah sorry can't get more descriptive than that) and whenever he ran out of ammo instead of reloading he just took out an entirely new pistol (I also believe he used two guns at once)
If I had to guess you're probably thinking of Reaper from Overwatch. There's probably others that do this but he's the most recent and well-known one.

As for weapon durability (so this has come up again, huh?) like I mentioned before, I don't ever seem to run out of weapons. Then again I typically stick with one weapon until it breaks, very rarely switching to something else. At nighttime stalmoblins pop up and typically carry dragonbone moblin clubs which do decent damage and you can basically farm for them whenever you want. They've become my go-to 'trash' weapon. I simply don't foresee a situation in which you have a handful of weapons ready to break like how Null described. If I find a new weapon and can't carry it I check to see if I can replace one of my weapons that isn't 'new'. A durability meter would be quite helpful here...

So yeah, maybe you don't like the durability system, and I hate to sound like an asshole, but maybe you aren't... "playing the game correctly". To me, breakable weapons are like finite ammunition in a shooter game. If the game just gave you unlimited ammunition for the best guns it would get pretty boring. There's a reason bombs don't do a ton of damage in this game. You have to swap weapons at some point. Plus let's not forget that retreat is an option. If you can't beat the enemies now, simply fight another day.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: April 05, 2017, 10:01:36 pm »

I really thought Bay12's community was more respectful than this.  'I like to argue with people, especially when they don't want to engage', and 'git gud son'?  Seriously?  I've already beaten the game with minimal difficulty, I personally find the mechanic to be obtrusive, poorly implemented, and unnecessary to basic gameplay.  That is my input on it and if you don't have the basic decency to respect that then I have no interest in continuing any form of discussion with you.

I have more important things to do than engage in the internet's favorite activity, "Argue about meaningless stuff."

Edit: I have removed some offensive language from this post, as it was unneeded and confrontational.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 11:07:32 pm by NullForceOmega »

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: April 05, 2017, 10:16:15 pm »

usually arguments are more respectful than this
Black lives matter.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: April 05, 2017, 10:20:45 pm »

usually arguments are more respectful than this

Yes, they are, and I hold this community in high esteem so this is especially galling to me.

Nighthawk: You use the word violence there, I do not think it means what you think it means.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: April 05, 2017, 10:32:09 pm »

This post has been edited because I was being highly emotional and spoke my mind much too freely. I apologize to everyone here who wanted to have a pleasant discussion for my involvement in this mishap.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 11:13:15 pm by Nighthawk »

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: April 05, 2017, 10:48:40 pm »

Edit: I apologize for this comment, it was ill considered and I should have left it alone.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 11:01:47 pm by NullForceOmega »

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 69