Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 69

Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild: SEQUEL ANNOUNCED  (Read 98033 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild
« Reply #915 on: May 24, 2017, 02:39:29 pm »

He deserves it for killing fishwife.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: May 24, 2017, 02:53:24 pm »

Fishwife isn't dead, she's just sleeping. Just like amazon girlfriend, birdman with whom we share excessive sexual tension, and enticingly large rockman
Black lives matter.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: May 24, 2017, 03:02:23 pm »

Speaking of that.... did no one consider dumping the Champions into the Shrine of Resurrection along with Link? I'm pretty sure that weird bathtub he's lying in at the beginning of the game could fit at least one more. And it IS called the "Shrine of Resurrection," not the "Shrine of Cure Serious Wounds."

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: May 24, 2017, 03:03:21 pm »

rockman

Rockman?
( Sorry, couldn't resist. :p )

edit: changed the link
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 03:05:10 pm by Ultimuh »

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: May 24, 2017, 03:23:43 pm »

Speaking of that.... did no one consider dumping the Champions into the Shrine of Resurrection along with Link? I'm pretty sure that weird bathtub he's lying in at the beginning of the game could fit at least one more. And it IS called the "Shrine of Resurrection," not the "Shrine of Cure Serious Wounds."
Judging from the pillow-thingy and specific markings in the bottom you can see when Link gets out of it, it's only designed to fit one person; it's quite possible the Resurrective GoopTM wouldn't work right unless you were lying in it correctly, and even then, we don't know if the goop would work on two people at once anyway. Although it is possibly the markings and pillow are just the intended spot to put the person.

But beyond all that, it's clear that Link is pretty much the only person they need for the plan, since in-game you can kill Ganon with only the Master Sword and your undies and leave the other Champions to, like, cry or whatever. Trying it on anyone else would be a needless risk (but I would admit it would be very nice to have Link/Champion interaction beyond the Memories and "Oh hi, you're finally here, please kill this boss. ... Thanks for killing that boss. Have this magic power, lol bye!").

TL;DR: it's a twin bed not a king
Black lives matter.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #920 on: May 24, 2017, 04:54:04 pm »

All that and also they had no way to recover the corpses of the champions as ganon had taken control of the divine beasts while they were in them no?

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: May 24, 2017, 05:14:15 pm »

Assuming they weren't vaporized by FRICKIN' LASER (TRIDENTS/EXPLOSIONS/BEAMS/SWORDS)
Black lives matter.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: May 26, 2017, 11:36:22 am »

After much scouring I found two more great fairy fountains, and after much farming guardian stalkers for cores and ancient gears I managed to upgrade my ancient armor to level 2, plus level 3 for the cuirass.  It certainly helps the almost dying to one hit from everything problem, but not quite as much as I hoped.  Guardians are much less of a problem now, but moblins are still surprisingly deadly.

None of that compares to lynels though.  21 hearts plus upgraded ancient armor, but 2-3 hits and I'm dead.  Lynels are pretty optional for the most part, but the two I fought in Hyrule castle gave me a run for my money.  I ended up losing all of my shields to the second one, but with Mipha's Grace I survived.

Anyway, the lack of shields and Mipha's Grace was a bit of a problem for fighting Ganon, but for fun I gave it a go without retreating to rearm.  To my surprise, I won on the first attempt, but mostly through eating the hundreds of mushrooms, crabs, snails and roasted crow drumsticks in Link's pockets.

That said, the fight with Ganon kind of cemented in my mind that I'm not sure I like where the setting has started going.  The game was absolutely fun and I put probably 60 or 70 hours into it, but... I mean, the game has had a few WTF moments, but Ganon was an OMGWTFLOLBBQ moment when he showed up.  I felt like Link accidentally stepped into a Silent Hill game or something.

Which isn't to say that the Zelda games haven't had horror stuff in them before (thinking of you, Dead Hand), but between that, the plainly bizarre bosses, ancient robots all over the place and Link's magical smartphone / tablet, I wouldn't even recognize this as a Zelda game if gorons and zora weren't in it.  It's a fun game and I really enjoyed it, but something feels off.  Maybe my nostalgia for Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess is too strong.  I mean, I'd like to see a magic bar again some day, for example.  And I know Skyward Sword had lots of the ancient robot stuff in it too for some reason, but something about Skyward Sword was off-putting from the very beginning to me.  I never fully enjoyed playing it for reasons I've yet to understand, although I suspect it was just too frustrating.

Of course, having not played any of the handheld games, I've probably just missed things that have been working their way into the setting for a long time.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: May 26, 2017, 11:51:40 am »

take off your rose-colored glasses then

(:P)
Black lives matter.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: May 26, 2017, 12:19:46 pm »

I really enjoy this game. I'm almost finished.

Lynels are NO PROBLEM if you play right. Do NOT engage them in an archer's duel, they'll just go all "INDIRECT TRACKING FIRE MODE ENGAGED" and suddenly you're being tasered under a roof by vertical-launch seeking Lynel arrows. But if you go up close and personal, it takes a while to whittle them down, but you'll win. Do NOT block their attacks---dodge them. Jump backwards while holding dodge to do a flip. Time it right, and you get a flurry strike counterattack. If they use a straight-line meat-cleaver sort of vertical/up-and-down strike, jump sideways and get the same effect.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: May 26, 2017, 12:20:36 pm »

Also: the Lynels in Hyrule Castle are, IIRC, always more difficult types. Practice on Red-Maned Lynels first to get their patterns down.
Black lives matter.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: May 26, 2017, 12:26:15 pm »

I had no trouble with the first gatehouse Lynel. (I haven't beat the game yet, I'm too completionistic to do that. I went ahead and just popped by to get the memory inside the castle....And watched as Link, covered in Guardian-turret red dots, froze time for a minute to go ahead and pull out his Sheikah Slate and do a little ancient-Instagram searching. Hilarious, and terribly immersion-breaking. I then teleported out to go finish the memory quest.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: May 26, 2017, 12:55:38 pm »

I really enjoy this game. I'm almost finished.

Lynels are NO PROBLEM if you play right. Do NOT engage them in an archer's duel, they'll just go all "INDIRECT TRACKING FIRE MODE ENGAGED" and suddenly you're being tasered under a roof by vertical-launch seeking Lynel arrows. But if you go up close and personal, it takes a while to whittle them down, but you'll win. Do NOT block their attacks---dodge them. Jump backwards while holding dodge to do a flip. Time it right, and you get a flurry strike counterattack. If they use a straight-line meat-cleaver sort of vertical/up-and-down strike, jump sideways and get the same effect.

The thing about the lynels in Hyrule castle is that they're in an enclosed area that makes it pretty easy to accidentally back yourself into a corner where dodging suddenly gets very complicated.  That and you're being harassed by flying stalmoblin skulls for at least one of the fights.  I tried to dodge everything but frequently butterfingered it into just blocking, followed by the lynel obliterating my shield.  Happened 3 times in one fight.  The length of the fight's a bit of an issue too and mistakes will crop up.  I broke a few weapons and kept trading down to crappier stuff.

Side note: two handed weapons feel like liabilities to me.  They keep you from using a shield and are slow enough to swing that I oftentimes got hit trying to swing at something.  Mostly a problem facing multiple enemies, but that's most of the time.

Anyway, this brings up another thing that I struggled with for a lot of the game: controls.  It got better, but early on especially I can't count how many times I accidentally whipped out a bomb when I meant to do something else, or set off a bomb right next to me when I meant to do something else, or switched to the wrong weapon, or switched Sheikah Slate abilities instead of weapons, or fired an arrow when I didn't mean to, or started climbing something I didn't mean to (and extinguished a lit torch in the middle of pitch blackness...).  It also took a lot of getting used to that I had to hit a button to jump now, but I don't blame the game for that.

The control layout might be better on the Switch.  I played the Wii U version.

I then teleported out to go finish the memory quest.

I somewhat regret not finishing this myself, but it seemed kind of telegraphed that the only reward would be access to the second shrine in Kakariko Village, and I had a real problem finding half of the memory areas I found even with help from the traveling painter.  Some weren't so bad, like the one near the Lake Hylia bridge, but there was one in the mountains I probably spent 2 hours looking for before I realized I was in the entirely wrong place.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: May 26, 2017, 01:39:59 pm »

The only ones I had to look up were the ones that gave no clue where they were. The Spring of Courage (I think...It's the one in Akkala) and the forest path along the river were the only ones I needed to.

If it gives a large, wide view of the background, finding it becomes fairly trivial....usually. Here's my recommendation, though: Find stables, and ask the painter. He'll clue you in to just about every single difficult-to-find memory that there is.

I didn't hate the controls, although being an Xbox player on Wii U did give me issues with the buttons (WHADDYA MEAN, X IS AT THE TOP?!?!?! X is supposed to be the left-side hitting-things-button!!!

And yeah, 2-handers are just liabilities...usually. If you've got a spear, it's excellent for duel-type situations. Multiple enemies can be an issue. Most other two-handers are only good when smashing rocks or giving a Stasis-d item momentum.

The memory quest unlocks a second shrine in Kakariko? I just finished it, and I don't think I got a shrine....

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: May 26, 2017, 01:53:48 pm »

I don't actually know what the quest unlocks, but there's an orb next to Impa that she wouldn't let me touch.  There's also a receptacle for the orb on the hill near the first shrine, so I assumed that she'd let you take the orb eventually and put it there.  Since she's also the one that sets you to that quest, I figured that's what unlocked it.  Since I didn't finish the quest I never found out, and I avoided looking up anything about the game before I beat it.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 69