Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69

Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild: SEQUEL ANNOUNCED  (Read 98035 times)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild: SEQUEL ANNOUNCED
« Reply #990 on: June 01, 2023, 02:06:16 pm »

I have done nothing but play Tears of the Kingdom since sunday and I am like... 50% done, maybe.

I don't know if I can finish this, I tried to finish every single shrine but I gave up at 60-something. The prospect of more story dungeons fills me with unspeakable dread.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: June 01, 2023, 02:49:53 pm »

I haven't had a ton of time to play it and don't know my total hours, but I think I'm a bit less than halfway done since I've finished two temples so far and about 45 shrines.  I will say that the game has an almost overwhelming amount of stuff to do, to the point I've started avoiding talking to people because I'm afraid it'll add yet another distraction to the point I'll totally forget why I'm going somewhere.

Overall I've really enjoyed the game, but I sometimes think I preferred BotW a hair.  I keep feeling oddly resistant to embracing and engaging with the new mechanics like Fuse and building vehicles, and miss the infinite bombs from BotW.  The glaring retcons and lack of continuity with BotW are a bit jarring too.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: June 02, 2023, 12:01:50 am »

The game is great fun but I think they got spooked by all the suggestions that it would just be a BotW DLC dressed up as a new game.

The total lack of any continuity is extremely jarring, yes, I think I hate it more than anything else in this game. What retcons are you talking about?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: June 02, 2023, 09:05:25 am »

Maybe not blatant, outright retcons so much as the lack of continuity implies some.  Almost all of the ancient Sheika stuff has been replaced with ancient Zonai stuff instead, for example.  It's almost like it always was just the Zonai, and the Sheikah are just reverse engineering some of their stuff in modern times.  The utter lack of any mention of the divine beasts and guardians implies they were just never there.  Nobody talks about the champions from Breath of the Wild and they introduce new ancestors that take a similar role.  Things like that.

Or maybe the new ancestors are the same champions?  They're all wearing masks and are kind of unidentifiable, for some reason.

Admittedly I've only gotten halfway through the game so maybe I haven't run into some of this yet, but it feels like it's just the direction they wanted to take with the game.  Forget about stuff that happened in BotW because it's not important.

Edit: Oh, actually, the Purah Pad is kind of a direct retcon of the Sheikah Slate.  It's obviously the same thing, with a different name and with different functions.  It's implied to be a new invention despite Link having a Sheikah Slate in BotW.  Pretty sure Zelda had one too.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 09:47:07 am by Telgin »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: June 02, 2023, 09:30:16 am »

In BOTW Link uses Zelda's Sheikah Slate. I think the Slate is actually mentioned once as being taken by Purah to be studied? But yes the total unexplained disappearance of the Divine Beasts and all Sheikah technology (with the singular exception of the decrepit Guardian on top of one of the ancient tech labs) irks me to no end.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: June 02, 2023, 10:15:39 am »

So I bought this since I had a bunch of Best Buy gift cards so I essentially got it for free. Really liked what I had played so far, but I've been jumping around so much I haven't made too much progress in any one area. I've done the main quest for the Rito but other than that it's been doing odds and ends in various regions. Haven't actually touched the Gerudo or Zora regions at all.

Then the Dragon's Dogma 2 trailer came out and I was inspired to go back and get all the achievements in DD:DA, so TotK has been put on hold for now...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: June 02, 2023, 03:22:51 pm »

So for the folks that have been playing, since I haven't seen any explanation in the playthrough I've been watching...

... does the game ever explain where Zelda picks up the hyrulean prison ink, and who she killed in the process of getting it? 'Cause teardrops like that are known as a sign you've murdered someone, and I've been wondering who she offed ever since they showed up. She didn't start the game with the things, so it had to have been picked up in the past at some point.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: June 03, 2023, 06:11:01 pm »

... does the game ever explain where Zelda picks up the hyrulean prison ink, and who she killed in the process of getting it?

Maybe it's part of an elaborate backstory Sonia and Rauru made up for her to fit in.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: June 04, 2023, 05:46:24 pm »

The game just keeps going. It just keeps going. There's just so much of it.

I love Totk, but I cannot truthfully say that I prefer it to Botw. Botw was a far more tightly designed game, whilst totk has a lot of odd loose ends that it has to retroactively deal with. The retcons are incredibly jarring. I have found exactly one reference to the Calamity in the entire game besides item descriptions that were lifted from botw, and it was a random memorial north of Hyrule castle that's incredibly easy to miss. I'm sure that people will be finding all sorts of ways to tie them together, but the fact that Calamity Ganon is never once mentioned is so strange. So much of the game's story is clearly set up to be a follow-up to botw, but it almost goes out of its way to never say anything out loud. Malice is never mentioned, it's all gloom now. They probably intended for Gloom to be a more powerful version of Malice, but Malice is never acknowledged in any way. There's just so many strange loose ends that would be so easy to tie up, but it's like they can't acknowledge the past game for legal reasons. There is a very conspicuous empty spot in Zora's domain where the old shrine used to be which is not used for anything in totk, it's just empty. It all feels... extra. I think I agree; They probably became worried about it being too closely associated with botw so they steered away from it... but in ways that don't work very well.

And I still amn't done the game yet. For all my criticisms, I think that the shrines are fun, I love the proving grounds type shrines where they take away your things and force you to be resourceful, I like that there's a bit more focus on characters than in botw, I love being able to explore everything again, I enjoy making dumb machines that desintegrate, I adore the new boss fights, bu- wait, I've got it.

The reason Totk weirds me out sometimes is because the way the map and story has been changed reminds me of Wow Cataclysm. If you know, you know.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: June 04, 2023, 07:37:38 pm »

The more I think about it, the more I think they chose to scrub references to Breath of the Wild in an attempt to make new players not feel like they had to play it to understand the game.

That's somewhat understandable, but it's still very jarring.  Also frankly surprising since you'd think it would make people more inclined to buy BotW if they hadn't played it already.

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: June 04, 2023, 07:53:29 pm »

There's some details here and there.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: June 05, 2023, 01:30:33 pm »

The more I think about it, the more I think they chose to scrub references to Breath of the Wild in an attempt to make new players not feel like they had to play it to understand the game.

That's somewhat understandable, but it's still very jarring.  Also frankly surprising since you'd think it would make people more inclined to buy BotW if they hadn't played it already.

I haven't played BotW or TotK, but this is a Zelda game, and with a couple of exceptions these games aren't big on continuity.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: June 05, 2023, 03:28:24 pm »

Only some NPCs seem to remember Link. You'd think more in Hateno village would recognize him, considering he was supposedly around when Zelda was setting up the school (after she stole his house.)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: June 05, 2023, 06:04:18 pm »

Well, I finished it, and I can truthfully say that although I overall prefer Botw, Totk was still worth every cent.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: June 05, 2023, 06:55:33 pm »

I haven't played BotW or TotK, but this is a Zelda game, and with a couple of exceptions these games aren't big on continuity.

This is true, but this is the first time a Zelda game "sequel" has actually reused most of the same world, right?  Majora's Mask is effectively a sequel to Ocarina of Time, but it takes place in an entirely different location and all, for example.  As far as I can remember, every other game introduces an entirely new version of Hyrule so that the lack of continuity doesn't feel as weird.  Maybe some of the 2D games are different since I haven't played any but the original.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69