Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 69

Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild: SEQUEL ANNOUNCED  (Read 98060 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild
« Reply #870 on: April 06, 2017, 01:55:25 am »

Moving forward:

The world lacks certain interactions though.  Hard to quantify, but really, for the number of people seen, (such as Hatenko village), there is not enough farm land (the few small veggie gardens would be just enough to feed that household, not the whole village)-- and while Hylian Rice and pals do grow wild, it would be an all the time job to harvest enough from wild sources to feed that village. (EG, the villagers would be out there doing that all the damn time.)

I understand that this is a game, but really-- This is something that really torques me off about games in fantasy settings. They always pretend that people have the kind of free time that modern industrial age people have, in a setting where said industrial tech simply no longer exists in active use. This is why you see people like the gossip women doing nothing but sleep, and gossip. No. Do not like.

Then there is the total lack of blacksmiths aside from the special ones who fix your mcguffin weapons for high high prices. Blacksmiths make everything from door hinges, to buckles for saddles, to pots, pans, and a whole lot of other miscellany. They should be thick as fleas in this game, but no.

Personally, I would like to see a change in the durability system as well, and it would not do away with durability induced breakage completely either.  Basically, when you get a weapon repaired, it takes it up to 3/4 of its prior max durability, which becomes the new max durability. This makes repairing the weapon less and less useful, until repairing it is worthless as an option, forcing you to discard it-- but still getting you some more mileage out of weapons that are rare, or very useful.

Gameplay itself wise, I decided that after defeating Gannon the first time, I wanted to start over from scratch and try things a little differently-- but the game followed repetitive patterns that did not seem as novel the second time. It is a very nice game, but it needs a little more. Very good for Nintendo's first splash into open sandbox games, but still kinda anemic in many areas. Something simple like a deployable pot, would go a long way to making the creation of campfires useful, (as is, I only make them when I need to burn bushes but dont have fire arrows or a flame sword/wand) etc. 

I am hopeful that the summer and winter DLCs will have some fresh and replayable content, but meh.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: April 06, 2017, 05:53:10 am »

Don't you know that fantasy worlds have super GMO plants that are extremely weather, bug, and disease resistant and produce twenty times the yield five times as fast with only minimal tending?

I mean, given the supposed tech level of the ancient Sheikah, that could actually be true for this game. It's not like the farmers couldn't just keep growing and re-seeding the same crops assuming the Sheikah didn't pull a Monsanto and make the plants unable to reproduce.

Still, I get what you mean. The fact is, though, most fantasy writers aren't historians, and it's really hard to imagine dozens of people spending all day toiling over a field a single tractor can tend to in a few hours and getting a quarter the crop yield to boot, if they're lucky. I think that the lack of farmland was an artistic choice to keep as much of the game as possible looking like either wild, open land or ruins... though a dumb one, because with all those rolling hills they could have made some amazing looking terraced farms.
Nothing important here, move along.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: April 06, 2017, 06:02:30 am »

pull a Monsanto and make the plants unable to reproduce

(this never actually happened)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: April 06, 2017, 06:31:16 am »

pull a Monsanto and make the plants unable to reproduce

(this never actually happened)

I thought this was a common practice for GMO crops in order to force repeat business.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: April 06, 2017, 06:38:40 am »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: April 06, 2017, 06:43:21 am »

Monsanto says it is a myth...
http://www.monsanto.com/newsviews/pages/terminator-seeds.aspx

But on the other hand, the use of Genetic Use Restriction Technologies (GURTs) is not up for discussion, and is very real. It just is not in commercial use.

Even so, the methods used by Monsanto in its early GMOs were hardly what you would call "precision engineering", relying on random insertion of the target gene sequence into the target organism, sometimes more than once, and in not very good positions in the organism's genome. This results in lower reproductive fitness, and when self-hybridization occurs, such as after being planted and grown in a feild, the resulting seed can be significantly less fertile simply because of the not so great methods used to produce said crops. (this reduction in reproductive fitness is one of the reasons why artisinal corn varieties in Mexico are so heavily monitored and protected by their growers, and why Monsanto's crops are not welcome in nearby fields. The modifications cause abberant sprouting, growth, and tassellation behaviors when they escape via sexual plant reproduction.)

Now, the Sheikah may have developed the hylian version of CRISPR/CAS9 targeted genome edition, and been able to produce very fit, very healthy, and very productive improved rice, wheat, and other crops-- who is to say.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 06:47:42 am by wierd »

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: April 06, 2017, 06:56:56 am »

Even without genetic modification, they could have used selective breeding to produce really good crops. The great majority of modern crops are still selectively bred instead of genetically modified, and they vastly outstrip the capabilities of the crops planted even a few decades ago.

If you factor in that all this was 10,000 years ago and most of the farmers could very well have kept up the breeding even after all the other technology was lost (selective breeding doesn't require the infrastructure that complex machinery and computers need to be produced, operated, and maintained) and you've got crops that are potentially ludicrously fruitful.
Nothing important here, move along.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: April 06, 2017, 03:00:37 pm »

The only real problem I see with filling the world with farms would be that in BotW the player has the ability to start grass fires, which could destroy farms and logically starve most of the people in the world.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: April 06, 2017, 03:36:38 pm »

Logically you should be able to destroy the very thin wood/plaster/whatever walls most homes are made of with a simple bomb, but we can't do that either, can we? :P
Black lives matter.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: April 09, 2017, 05:52:22 pm »

Wouldn't it be awesome if the next exposition fairy was a goron?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: April 09, 2017, 05:55:13 pm »

[screams directly into your ear]
"HEY, LITTLE GUY! LISTEN!!!"
"there's an enemy over there"
Black lives matter.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: April 09, 2017, 06:14:32 pm »

And you could ride the goron while he's rolling, though you would probably fall over.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: April 09, 2017, 06:36:30 pm »

what if the next link was goron
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: April 09, 2017, 06:38:09 pm »

what if the next link was goron
Well.. Technically.. There are a few Gorons named Link already.
One in Ocarina of Time, and one in Wind Waker.. I think?

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: April 09, 2017, 06:44:05 pm »

There weren't any Gorons in Wind Waker, but there was another Goron with your name (so Link by default) in Majora's Mask.

Also, no, you couldn't ride one while it was rolling. You would die. :P
Black lives matter.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 69