Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 33

Author Topic: Phoenix Point : In the works X-COMlike from Gollop  (Read 57236 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Phoenix Point : In the works X-COMlike from Gollop
« Reply #150 on: September 04, 2017, 02:36:36 am »

I don't really count Apocalypse in that category. Kind of, maybe. But I thought all it did was scale the difficulty based on your performance. So if you're doing really well they'll get better stuff faster. That kind of stuff. Nothing really meriting changes in response to specific strategies.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 04, 2017, 05:17:37 am »

Hmmm... supposedly xcom apoc did it, but the claim was likely untrue
XCOM Apocalypse made the claim for alien tactics, not the aliens themselves.  It's noticeable if you savescum a lot in the early game or otherwise replay the same battle multiple times (the aliens do tend to alter their routing to die more slowly), but not noticeable to the casual player.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 04, 2017, 12:16:22 pm »

In terms of AI tactics, a while back I had an interesting conversation with a dev who worked on Crysis. They were trying to create the most awesome enemy AI, which could hunt in a pack and constantly react to the player's tactics.

Apparently the problem wasn't that it was too hard to do that, but more that it just felt like the AI was cheating to the player and it wasn't any fun. A single combatant couldn't possibly outflank 5+ enemies, even with a super suit.  Even when their QA testers could see the AI reacting in a cool way, they still said it felt rubbish. It's similar like when you get one shot sniped in *insert FPS* - it just feels unfair even if it is realistic/not cheating.

Therefore I think it's a really, really tricky line to walk unless you can demonstrate really obviously (like mutations) what's happening. I've high hopes, but I don't imagine that it'll allow for a sort of endless tactical challenge.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 05, 2017, 10:55:53 am »

It is a shame likewise that the shady funding system behind Phoenix Point (which includes those disreputable Double Fine guys) prevents me from buying this, no matter how good the game ends up being.

this is the dumbest of all possible positions to take

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 05, 2017, 01:51:09 pm »

...No, there is no theoretical limit to how dumb a position can be. It's turtles all the way down, so to speak.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 05, 2017, 02:00:30 pm »

It is a shame likewise that the shady funding system behind Phoenix Point (which includes those disreputable Double Fine guys) prevents me from buying this, no matter how good the game ends up being.

I get not backing a game for that, but seems odd not to purchase a finished game because of their original funding platform.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 05, 2017, 04:58:56 pm »

I get not backing a game for that, but seems odd not to purchase a finished game because of their original funding platform.

As described in previous posts in this very thread, the platform is not just funding platform. It continues to operate when the game starts selling and a big chunk of the money will go to Double Fine guys.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 05, 2017, 04:59:44 pm »

What if the original funding platform  was blood diamonds and slave children?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 05, 2017, 05:16:57 pm »

What if the original funding platform  was blood diamonds and slave children?

Sure, anything can be taken to a truly horrible level. But while DoubleFine might be shady, they're not that bad.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 05, 2017, 05:23:33 pm »

I still don't even know what happened with Double Fine. I completely missed out on whatever The Controversy is. They made Rocket Age and it sucked, or something? Money was used in some manner that was not considered appropriate by the providers of that money? Tim Schafer was discovered to have received the reincarnated soul of Hitler?

Anyway, I don't think it's unreasonable for the platform that was used to market to small investors getting a cut of the ROI. Or are Double Fine's sins just that bad? Are there blood diamonds?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 05, 2017, 05:50:45 pm »

From what I understand Broken age was seemingly hilariously mismanaged, despite getting roughly all the money in the world it still was super delayed and they needed to release it in two parts. But more egregiously is space base DF9, which sits in the pile of tons of shitty early access games that never got anywhere and were abandoned by their dev. After selling it to their fans for a year in early access they decided it wasn't selling well enough so they canned the team working on it, released it as a "complete" game out of early access and told the community to finish it if they want.

I dunno if there's any other controvery, but space base df9 seems enough to blacklist them to me if that's the sorta thing one does.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 05:53:12 pm by Criptfeind »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 05, 2017, 06:06:41 pm »

If you want to know what the BFD is, you can literally read up the thread.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 07:51:48 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 10, 2017, 12:55:34 pm »

As described in previous posts in this very thread, the platform is not just funding platform. It continues to operate when the game starts selling and a big chunk of the money will go to Double Fine guys.

because they are publishing the game

it is literally how all publishers work

(nobody tell him how steam works)

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 10, 2017, 12:57:00 pm »

...No, there is no theoretical limit to how dumb a position can be. It's turtles all the way down, so to speak.

true

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 10, 2017, 01:19:11 pm »

....yes, so what is exactly dumb about boycotting an unethical publisher? Same logic applies to any purchase decisions where the reputation of the company is tarnished. It is exactly the same as avoiding Nestle or Comcast or any other company with soiled reputation. That is how consumers are supposed to have an effect on the free market, duh.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 33