Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 33

Author Topic: Phoenix Point : In the works X-COMlike from Gollop  (Read 57042 times)

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Phoenix Point : In the works X-COMlike from Gollop
« Reply #210 on: September 15, 2017, 12:19:43 pm »

In other words, XCOM 2's geoscape.

aside from the common element of "time-sensitive missions" ... no?

actually, city-states from civ 5 might be the better comparison?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 30, 2017, 12:15:32 pm »

Couple of interviews from EGX with Gallop. Here.

First one has him going over the history of XCOM for him and then into Phoenix Point. It does show a demo of the geoscape layer doing its world gen simulation and a bit of him moving around exploring stuff. Which looks pretty interesting so far.

He also mentions that the tactical targeting system is in fact very similar to how Valkyria Chronicles does it. Apparently he had a similar idea in a game he was working on in 1999 that got cancelled and was interested to see that exact system show up later on.

Second video is Gallop and Solomon chatting about their respective games (original XCom/Pheonix Point and Firaxis X-Com respectively) and design decisions within them. Pretty neat stuff!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 01, 2017, 01:57:33 am »

The 1999 game was an X-Com follow-up. The story is apparently that a dubious firm (Titus Interactive: they had a bit of a reputation for making really shitty games based on other IP) did a share takeover of Interplay, the real publisher, they then gutted all the IP and moved all development to their in-house team, while cancelling every game in development. That dubious firm then went bankrupt with huge debts a couple of years later. So they were basically bankrolling takeovers on credit, looting the IP, then trying to bootstrap all these shitty rip-off games in-house.

That basically fucked Gollop since his whole studio was invested in producing the game, and is the reason his next few releases were smaller ones as he clawed back from being completely broke.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 02:05:02 am by Reelya »

ventuswings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 01, 2017, 09:37:19 pm »

The 1999 game was an X-Com follow-up. The story is apparently that a dubious firm (Titus Interactive: they had a bit of a reputation for making really shitty games based on other IP) did a share takeover of Interplay, the real publisher, they then gutted all the IP and moved all development to their in-house team, while cancelling every game in development. That dubious firm then went bankrupt with huge debts a couple of years later. So they were basically bankrolling takeovers on credit, looting the IP, then trying to bootstrap all these shitty rip-off games in-house.

That basically fucked Gollop since his whole studio was invested in producing the game, and is the reason his next few releases were smaller ones as he clawed back from being completely broke.

Huh. Surprising how much drama there seem to be within gaming development, but maybe it's something I should expect from all businesses.
In regards to the game I am glad that Phoenix Point is trying something distinct from both original and Firaxis X-COM.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 01, 2017, 02:13:12 pm »

Neat dev diary today on base buildings with concept art and info on map generation. And apparently drivable vehicles will be in as DLC, despite being an unmet stretch goal.

https://phoenixpoint.info/blog/2017/11/28/haven-design-and-map-generation

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 01, 2017, 02:33:28 pm »

I really appreciate it when devs are hyping their DLC in pre-alpha. Starting to look more and more like AAA every day. Just waiting to hear they're going to do loot boxes.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 01, 2017, 02:48:06 pm »

I'd be more upset if it wasn't a free DLC. That's more a promise that they'll do it, just not by release. I'm ok with that.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 01, 2017, 03:15:14 pm »

It's the other way around actually. The vehicles were a stretchgoal that was met and one was showcased (and it was buttfucking-ugly holy shit how do you make something so bad looking from a design standpoint). What wasn't met was some sort of floating base thing and they've said they'll be adding that as a free DLC post update, which is pretty sweet.

Also, reading stuff before linking it is usually a good practice :V
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 03:18:09 pm by Jopax »
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 01, 2017, 03:26:00 pm »

I think more stretchgoals should be treated like that, free DLC's that get added later.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 01, 2017, 04:15:54 pm »

Also, reading stuff before linking it is usually a good practice :V

some of us are at work and can only skim!

it was a big dev diary, actually

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 01, 2017, 04:16:40 pm »

I wish their designs had more colour.

i thought the posts were only for the "new jericho" faction described as ultramilitarist etc, with brutalist architecture, so lots of concrete, less on color?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 01, 2017, 10:15:01 pm »

I think more stretchgoals should be treated like that, free DLC's that get added later.
Yeah, prevents the game from fucking imploding due to sticking extra stuff in...

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 03, 2017, 05:49:47 am »

Of course, they then have to make sure the game is still balanced after adding new stuff. If you suddenly have tanks after the DLC and they're still using oversized haddock it won't be too much of a fight.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 19, 2018, 03:16:16 am »

So there was a playable demo at, uh, "PC Gamer Weekender 2018."
Link to the part of a twitch stream where Julian plays through a demo with the host. I couldn't find any better source for the video, sorry.

It's not a radical change from the last gameplay video, but it's interesting to see how it's developed. Certainly more polished and even more game-looking. Looks like the stuff in the video is an example of mid-game equipment, with the weapons and armor shown.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 33