Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 33

Author Topic: Phoenix Point : In the works X-COMlike from Gollop  (Read 57013 times)

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Phoenix Point : In the works X-COMlike from Gollop
« Reply #225 on: February 19, 2018, 10:13:01 am »

Yeah, it doesn't look bad. Some of the animations aren't quite there yet but Q4 2018 looks like a good release window.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 27, 2018, 03:15:55 pm »

First backer build is set to release April 30. Be interesting to see what they've come up with.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 27, 2018, 12:31:00 am »

Bump with a video!

It's some footage of the pre-alpha build, featuring some crabmen and an incomplete spider queen, as well as a brief overview of some of the combat mechanics. Still looks quite promising, despite being pre-alpha.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 05:40:37 pm by Pencil_Art »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 27, 2018, 09:47:22 am »

Code: [Select]
[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saU3_xJJrCg]yourtexthere[/url]
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 01, 2018, 11:40:40 am »

pre-alpha backer build dropped last night. i played around with it a bit over launch. seems like it's just the tactical demo build they've been showing off at conventions but it's pretty solid. the body part targeting stuff works out better than i expected.

it also feels much more dynamic than x-com. there's a lot more back-and-forth return fire and other stuff of that nature.

the graphics aren't as x-comy as i expected either. it seems that way if you're watching, but once you're playing, the scope feels more "zoomed out" because maps seem to be much larger, so you have a different perspective than you would in x-com. animations are still kinda janky, though.

edit: the streamers are already on it: https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Phoenix%20Point
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 11:45:31 am by ZeroGravitas »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 03, 2018, 04:03:33 am »

just watched some footage. it appears there's no random hit/miss but damage depends entirely on cover, positioning and weapons. is that right? is there a blog post specifically about combat?

if they really removed the chance to hit for a more strategic approach I'm sold

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 03, 2018, 04:27:21 am »

just watched some footage. it appears there's no random hit/miss but damage depends entirely on cover, positioning and weapons. is that right? is there a blog post specifically about combat?

I was under the impression that there was random shot deviation rather than “binary hit/miss and then we add a shoot effect”, but I might be confused
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 03, 2018, 07:54:40 am »

nah, theres definitely some random chance involved. i dont think anything's been fully explained out yet, though.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 03, 2018, 09:02:26 am »

I know the original plan was to have more original XCOM style ballistics where every bullet hit or missed on its own (and could hit other targets). Not sure if they have kept to that plan or not.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 03, 2018, 09:05:01 am »

I know the original plan was to have more original XCOM style ballistics where every bullet hit or missed on its own (and could hit other targets). Not sure if they have kept to that plan or not.

as long as it's random deviation from aim and not critical hit/miss I'm fine. on a second watch tho I saw a hit % on the ux, so I'll wait for some more let's play

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 03, 2018, 09:15:34 am »

as long as it's random deviation from aim and not critical hit/miss I'm fine. on a second watch tho I saw a hit % on the ux, so I'll wait for some more let's play

i had more of the feeling that the % hit was chance to hit taking the deviations into account, because it seemed to improve a lot based on enemy parts i was targeting. parts that were physically larger were generally easier to hit but only if i had a clear shot of them (no cover etc). but then cover was also very destructible.

it's got a lot of interesting stuff going on but i'm not going to spend much time with it at this point.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 03, 2018, 10:57:10 am »

It feels pretty much like the VATS system from fallout tbh. Regular shots which aim at the center mass and are susceptible to shot deviation (but to the extent that it's simulated shot spread not just random chance to hit/miss) and aimed shots which are pretty much the same but you get more control over where they may hit.

Which is a pretty neat thing to have and adds an extra layer of options and approaches while not neccessarily bogging down regular play where you can just use the general aiming most of the time.

A minor nitpick I have tho is that the interface is too damn similar to the new Xcoms, not that there's anything wrong with that, it's a perfectly serviceable interface, but I feel it's doing the game a disservice where folks might assume it's a mod for Xcom or something.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 03, 2018, 11:16:28 am »

It feels pretty much like the VATS system from fallout tbh. Regular shots which aim at the center mass and are susceptible to shot deviation (but to the extent that it's simulated shot spread not just random chance to hit/miss) and aimed shots which are pretty much the same but you get more control over where they may hit.

Which is a pretty neat thing to have and adds an extra layer of options and approaches while not neccessarily bogging down regular play where you can just use the general aiming most of the time.

yeah i agree. at most ranges youre not going to use part targeting against most enemies with most soldiers. maybe a sniper, or when you a really good shot on an exposed part (like flanking the shield guys), or when you're fighting a boss.

i do like that the battlefield doesnt feel as cramped, so everything isn't about goofy swings around a corner.

A minor nitpick I have tho is that the interface is too damn similar to the new Xcoms, not that there's anything wrong with that, it's a perfectly serviceable interface, but I feel it's doing the game a disservice where folks might assume it's a mod for Xcom or something.

yeah, but it works. it's like how FPS controls became very standardized very quickly.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 03, 2018, 11:35:15 am »

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 15, 2018, 07:23:34 am »

they pushed out a new backer update. i haven't had a chance to play it yet; anyone?

update: delayed until summer 2019 nooooooooooooooo
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 07:38:33 am by ZeroGravitas »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 33