Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 33

Author Topic: Phoenix Point : In the works X-COMlike from Gollop  (Read 57180 times)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Phoenix Point : In the works X-COMlike from Gollop
« Reply #240 on: May 15, 2018, 09:11:26 am »

I saw a play through of PP by Beaglerush on twitch. 

The "free aim" looks frustrating as the body parts (like head in the middle of a chest/torso) highlights and unhighlights because it animates.

I am thinking if you just want called shots to a body part, just make the UI similar to battletech fixed point with % to hit. 

PP approach hybrid to TU turn units and new-XCOM blue move/sprint makes the UI seem tediuos. 

I get it that in the og XCOM, the isometric view works ok with UI, and free aim shooting in some direction towards fog of war is a matter of moving the mouse cursor and pressing space to shoot. 

This concept of free aim in animating 3D FPS view is something not for me.  I'm bias though since I don't like FPS views.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 15, 2018, 09:38:32 am »

I am pretty sure they are still working on the UI.

I am downloading now, but no idea if my toaster will run it.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 15, 2018, 01:13:27 pm »

Looks pretty neat.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 15, 2018, 01:42:37 pm »

It is fun. I lost the random mission twice and won the Fort Freiheit one. But probably just because the queen bugged out and didn't move. Ammo is really tight, It would be nice if everyone had 2 reloads.
The 2nd random map loss was mostly because my heavy and sniper had both lost use of one arm. They could use the pistol (one between them) to kill 2 of the crabmen, but after explosives were exhausted the only damage on the queen was by the lone trooper (the other one had died pretty early). When he ran out of ammo he hat to try and run to another crate, but was killed while retrieving ammo. The sniper had died as well by then and gunner crabs were closing in on the heavy. So he made a run for the crate, where there was pistol ammo and grenades. But he was killed by a close combat crab. The queen had around 15-20 HP left and was bleeding heavily.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 01, 2018, 10:00:51 pm »

They released a new trailer for the game.
Cool, but nothing anyone already following the project probably hasn't already seen.

However, early access (bought, of course) is available for non-backers now. $50 for early access. It's the "deluxe edition", so it also includes some digital goodies and in-game stuff. $30 to pre-order "from" June 2019 on Steam/GoG.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 01, 2018, 10:41:10 pm »

Wow, that trailer was pretty solid, I was already interested but that whets my appetite for more info.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 02, 2018, 03:18:23 am »

From the Beaglerush gameplay, it looks like what they're trying to make is something that looks and plays like nucom, but has oldcom mechanics running under the surface.  Like you don't actually make long moves like in nucom, instead you spend TUs to take normal steps.  But it would be hard to tell from the interface.

Its intriguing.  Not 50$ intriguing, but worth watching.  I feel crazy even suggesting this, but my biggest concern is that it seems sort of derivative of nucom.  The way the levels are built and the blue/yellow lines to indicate where you can move is really similar.  The enemy variety could be a huge weakness since its competing against two whole games worth of nucom enemies.  I also share Beagle's dislike of the reaction fire mechanic, its bizarre that you can run around a warzone all you want in total safety but firing a gun from behind cover incites cross-map retribution.  Xcom's suppression/overwatch mechanics captured the feeling of being shot at much more than this games' reaction fire mechanic in its current state.

I do like how they used limited ammo to balance out the fact that guns have infinite range.  It takes two mechanics that would make the game super tedious, but together they justify their inclusion.  They also seem to have a mana system instead of a cooldown system for abilities, which makes sense.  Since your entire inventory is consumables your ability bar doesn't have to be.  This adds a little more choice since you can presumably choose which of multiple abilities you want to use (as opposed to nucom where you're going to want to use everything by the end of the mission).

Spoiler: programming digression (click to show/hide)
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 02, 2018, 05:25:12 am »

I have no idea how Oldcom calculated its percentages ("calculated", hahaha!), but it had mechanics both for soldier accuracy and projectile drift. And since the projectiles were physically modeled inside the game (as best as they could do with isometric 2D, anyways), you got all sorts of aggravating awesome situations like pinging off of a fire hydrant nearby or thudding into the physical representation of the wall underneath the window you were trying to shoot through, which was neat, forced you to consider non-berserk friendly fire, and led to extremely awkward turns where a newbie would fire at an enemy in the street and their shot would just lazily float past the enemy, down the street, over the gas station, and across a field before smacking into a survivor standing on a roof at the other end of the map.

I recognize that Oldcom's reaction mechanics were a bit clunky, but I actually quite liked them for what they were.

And then there's Apocalypse (which I also quite liked. So shoot me [with your dual-wielded sniper rifles]).

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 02, 2018, 05:54:34 am »

I really liked most how jagged alliance 1.13 Fab patch did accuracy. You get a visual representation of spread for each subsequent bullet and all bullets hit within that. % are useful if the shots aren't calculated, but if the ux is clear enough to show where projectiles actually go become superfluous

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 02, 2018, 07:17:47 am »

I have no idea how Oldcom calculated its percentages ("calculated", hahaha!), but it had mechanics both for soldier accuracy and projectile drift.

Oldcom's accuracy never actually accounted for bullet spread or projectile drift. Rather, accuracy just determined how tight the shot would be. More accuracy means that the shot is less likely to go wide and has a smaller deviancy when it does go wide. So your actual chance to hit is all over the place depending on distance, terrain, etc, etc. Accuracy has nothing directly to do with percentages, so it was a little silly that it was shown that way.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: November 02, 2018, 11:32:28 am »

Rather, accuracy just determined how tight the shot would be.
Ah, right... I think I might have somehow mixed things up a bit with how the blaster bomb projectiles deviate very slightly in their flight paths.

Blaster bombs, man. Fuck those things.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: November 02, 2018, 12:40:19 pm »

IIRC oldcom's accuracy wasn't the chance of hitting the target, it was the chance of firing a perfectly accurate projectile.  As a result of that (and the fact that certain partial cover could block the perfectly accurate shot) firing rapid fire was the best choice 90% of the time.  Since a "miss" could still hit and a hit could still do 0% damage.  The only reason to take aimed shots was if you were very far away, or if you had to shoot past friendlies.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: November 02, 2018, 12:43:06 pm »

IIRC oldcom's accuracy wasn't the chance of hitting the target, it was the chance of firing a perfectly accurate projectile.  As a result of that (and the fact that certain partial cover could block the perfectly accurate shot) firing rapid fire was the best choice 90% of the time.  Since a "miss" could still hit and a hit could still do 0% damage.  The only reason to take aimed shots was if you were very far away, or if you had to shoot past friendlies.
Even without those considerations, auto shot was still mathematically the best option when looking at the given percentage chances. And then Xenonauts came along and said "Hey, what if we shot three projectiles like auto shot, but gave it the TU cost of a snap shot?", and thus shotguns were born.

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: November 03, 2018, 09:05:01 am »

A new trailer is out.

Already posted, disregard please.
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: November 03, 2018, 09:54:18 am »

Which is kind of realistic, modern assault rifles have burst fire for a reason, and given ammo was not free (unless you abused the magazine fill-up bug/feature) you were basically trading less damage (on average) per bullet for more damage per turn overall. But then it seems like every xcom clone in existence reacted by making auto shot the worst shot choice in every situation :/

I actually totally forgot this game existed before this thread popped up again and now I'm starting to get hyped about it. I'm not sure I really like the alien design - it seems a little too "generic biological-based aliens", but other than that it seems really good so far.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 33