Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 33

Author Topic: Phoenix Point : In the works X-COMlike from Gollop  (Read 56636 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Phoenix Point : In the works X-COMlike from Gollop
« Reply #360 on: November 11, 2019, 11:25:23 am »

Windows... user... id? What?
When you set up an account on a machine running newer versions of Windows, you now get an option to, instead of making it a local thing with your credentials saved only on the system, instead connect to a server and store your credentials there, using a unified account that also can be used for the Microsoft's OneDrive (cloud storage), windows store and other bogus web 3.0 trash.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: November 11, 2019, 11:31:55 am »

Oh... I must've turned that down (I have windows 10). I guess the windows store is not an option for me then.
Love, scriver~

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: November 11, 2019, 12:52:01 pm »

Oh... I must've turned that down (I have windows 10). I guess the windows store is not an option for me then.
It shouldn't be hard to get if you actually want it. I have it, and find it to be generally innocuous. But I'm still going to wait until the game comes out on Steam, on general principle as well as for my own convenience.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: November 11, 2019, 02:01:18 pm »

Also, I got a coupon for $10 off the Season Pass if anyone wants it. I'm getting the Season Pass for free for being a backer, so I won't need it.

I have the same coupon available should a 2nd person want it.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: November 11, 2019, 03:07:24 pm »

I'm betting hard on this one (preordered both the game and the season pass), hoping Gollop still has spunk in him, unlike a number of other luminaries of an earlier age. Those who made one great work, made gaming history and then failed horribly when attempting a comeback 20 years later.

Not expecting a masterpiece, but something good enough at least.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: November 11, 2019, 03:38:03 pm »

He's got some intermediate cred, too. Chaos Reborn, while not exactly a masterpiece, is pretty good and leverages interesting ideas well. Definitely one of the reasons I have faith in Phoenix Point having some cool stuff even if it's mostly just a NewCOM clone.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: November 11, 2019, 05:30:09 pm »

I'm not too worried. Based on the gameplay I've seen, it should be decent at least. And considering I only spent $25 to back it and am getting the season pass thrown in there for free, I figure it'll easily be worth the money even if it's not as good as XCom.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: November 11, 2019, 07:45:57 pm »

Those who made one great work, made gaming history and then failed horribly when attempting a comeback 20 years later.

Not expecting a masterpiece, but something good enough at least.

Except that doesn't describe Gollop. He's been making good games constantly, pretty much like clockwork, every three years, for a couple of decades. The hiccup for him however was in ~1999 - 2000. His studio was working for publisher Interplay on the next X-Com at the time, but then Interplay got bought out by a game company who are effectively IP trolls. They buy up IP / other companies, then gut the development teams, move everything in house then churn out shoddy titles. Gollop's studio went broke and he clawed back by developing tactical games for hand-helds in the 2000s, becomes kinda the go-to guy for that, for example he did Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars for 3DS, then helmed Assassin's Creed III: Liberation for Playstation Vita. So he's rebuilt his career at least once, and become known and trusted for doing adaptation for portables as well as the tactical stuff.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: November 11, 2019, 08:55:46 pm »

that wizard war tactics game was pretty solid too. he needed something else to dress it up in, an IP or a larger game setting, but there was a good game there.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: November 12, 2019, 01:46:15 am »

I looked Gollop's body of work up because of Reelya's post and he also did Magic and Mayhem, which is a first class game that deserves to be remembered as fondly as any from that era. If Snapshot's MO is doing remakes and spiritual successors of his old stuff, I sure hope they don't skip that one. Between the way the narrative is handled, the highly functional and narratively consistent blend of RPG and strategy, and the consistently authentic old school fantasy vibes, with aspects of myth and mysticism in a structure both alien and inherently credible, I don't think I'm exaggerating when I call it the single most kino game I've ever played.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 01:51:41 am by Cruxador »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: November 12, 2019, 03:44:02 am »

Oh shoot, he did Magic and Mayhem? Hell yeah, that game was ace for what it was. The sequel ended up falling a bit flat though, so I dunno how much oomph the IP has in it.

Would be pretty cool to see some kind of remake/reimagining though.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: November 12, 2019, 05:14:10 am »

A lot of Phoenix Point seems to be completing the game they fucked up when the IP trolls took over Interplay, although the HP Lovecraft aspect is new. So with PP Gollop is like "finally I can finish what I started 20 years ago when they tried to destroy my career".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dreamland_Chronicles:_Freedom_Ridge

As for the company who fucked him over, it was the now-defunct Titus Interactive. The same company responsible for the infamous Nintendo 64 Superman game (see angry video game nerd review), and also responsible for a 2003 Robocop game with a 2.2/10 score on gamespot.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 05:19:38 am by Reelya »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: November 12, 2019, 09:40:17 am »

game with a 2.2/10 score on gamespot.

Fuck. I don't think they give war crimes less than an 8.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: November 12, 2019, 10:50:12 am »

game with a 2.2/10 score on gamespot.

Fuck. I don't think they give war crimes less than an 8.

War crimes are at least usually fun.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: November 12, 2019, 02:19:08 pm »

Oh shoot, he did Magic and Mayhem? Hell yeah, that game was ace for what it was. The sequel ended up falling a bit flat though, so I dunno how much oomph the IP has in it.

Would be pretty cool to see some kind of remake/reimagining though.
It seems you can blame Titus for the sequel.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 33