Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 33

Author Topic: Phoenix Point : In the works X-COMlike from Gollop  (Read 57238 times)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Phoenix Point : In the works X-COMlike from Gollop
« Reply #390 on: December 04, 2019, 04:47:14 am »

By the way, is Phoenix using the xcom engine? It looks like it's using the xcom engine.

PP is in Unity, XCOM is in UE3.5, so... probably not.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: December 04, 2019, 01:30:04 pm »

It's pretty sad how little coverage this game has. It used to be such hot shit.

I didn't even realize it came out as virtually nothing is covering its release.

And there's like... 2 reviews?

Guess this is what happens when you sell your soul.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: December 04, 2019, 01:38:52 pm »

Here's Beaglerush's stream of Phoenix Point.

As I said before, it's... very negative. The later half of the stream is where Beagle really begins to trash the game.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: December 04, 2019, 03:25:45 pm »

It's pretty sad how little coverage this game has. It used to be such hot shit.

I didn't even realize it came out as virtually nothing is covering its release.

And there's like... 2 reviews?

Guess this is what happens when you sell your soul.

??? there's like 12 professional reviews on metacritic, including some majors like PC Gamer, RPS, eurogamer. most of them are moderate/positive. looks fine overall. i'll probably get around to playing it at some point.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: December 04, 2019, 03:46:38 pm »

75 / 7.4. It's doing ok as far as Metacritic stats go. Whether or not that translates to sales so people who invested get money out of it...remains to be seen.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 03:49:28 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: December 04, 2019, 03:56:16 pm »

BeagleRush' review was based on the comparison from Backer's Build 5 (BB5). 

And the time in between was PP Devs (Julian Gollop) went to Epic Game Store exclusive for dev money/resources. 

Some of the critique is based on the "free aim" in PP which not the same as free aim from Original Game (OG) X-COM circa 198?.

Free aim in PP is giving a First Person Shooter aiming mechanic on a target. 
Free aim in OG is pointing your weapon on the isometric view, and watching your weapon "balistic" representation move from your soldier to beyond visual range.
They aren't the same. 

The Free aim in PP is gimmicky that "break" the flow of the tactical game. 

Example, alien target has a shield.  You Free aim and see majority 90% "shield". 
However, free aim also is based on how the target animates. 
When the target animates and exposes a limb / hand / arm as a valid target, then you basically ignore the "shield" and wait/waste time waiting and looking for the exploitable animation. 

Other items, the tutorial was more detrimental add-on than polish. 

Another item, the game was glaringly unpolished.  There is the paper doll page with nice graphics of damage, health, stats.  But when you need to see actual game numbers, you are presented with a uninspired table with a row label: .. ARM LEG ARM LEG.  Which arm or leg, left or right? 

Another.  Cursor movement to a tile, shows these graphic lines for Line of Sight (LOS).  Move to a spot on the roof looking down at an alien for a flank.  Cursor shows LOS, but move there and you have no valid shots, including no free aim opportunity. 

General imbalance from the start at inflated cost for recruits, research, and building upgrades.  So it quickly becomes a resource grind.  You are shown the story line, and tells you of 3 factions, spreading your options early on. 

You get on to those faction, learn new tech research but you are missing out on obtaining resource to do them or obtain them. 

So you grind resources, but the resources is guarded by aliens already?  By the 2nd mission of the same resource gathering, it's the same shit, just different unforgettable maps.

Oh, one of the "hooks" early on is that the AI is supposed to adapt to the player's strat.  On example was if player favor grenades often, the aliens in future encounter will start having better aoe armor / protection / shields.  But how you tell this is happening when the numbers are hidden in tactical area. 

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: December 04, 2019, 05:10:46 pm »

I'm probably about 25 missions in, 2 of which are faction, and 3 are main storyline, and haven't have resource shortfalls yet.

Sure, I'm still building up my bases, but I don't feel like I'm being squeezed (other than how my starter base is distressingly close to hostile territory, including the equivalent of a hostile base)... and there's plenty of territory left to explore and snag resources from.

Joining/Aiding a specific faction early isn't required, but the way things are structured, seems to be heavily favored... you can still get tech from the other factions anyways, if you choose to steal from them, though those missions are... rough.

Unfortunately, I haven't really seen the effects of 'smart adaptation' yet, if it works well at all. Same ol' units, pretty much a random mishmash. Focus fire and overwhelming damage works. Mobility and range is king.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: December 04, 2019, 07:21:53 pm »

75 / 7.4. It's doing ok as far as Metacritic stats go. Whether or not that translates to sales so people who invested get money out of it...remains to be seen.

we already got the money out of it, months ago. the guaranteed sales from Epic did that. got a check for ~$950 middle of the year, after a $500 investment in late 2017.

i guess we could still get more depending on subsequent sales, i forget what the sales thresholds and caps were

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: December 04, 2019, 07:35:56 pm »

Yeah, this game needs polish. It has a lot of neat ideas to it and so far it's fun enough, but definitely comes across as a bit clunky.

I'm not terribly fond of how expensive and rare new recruits are. Means I have a lot of downtime waiting for people to recover before I can really go off and do new missions, especially if I have one where a lot of soldiers got injured.

I'd say I will easily get my $25 worth, especially once the various expansions hit, but I'd be a bit hesitant to recommend people buy it for full price right now. Might have a more solid opinion on that once I get further in.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: December 04, 2019, 08:44:33 pm »

we already got the money out of it, months ago. the guaranteed sales from Epic did that. got a check for ~$950 middle of the year, after a $500 investment in late 2017.

Curious what it would have netted without EGS' cash infusion.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: December 04, 2019, 10:15:06 pm »

I'm not terribly fond of how expensive and rare new recruits are. Means I have a lot of downtime waiting for people to recover before I can really go off and do new missions, especially if I have one where a lot of soldiers got injured.

Use medkits liberally. There's none of that heal-only-fatal-wounds thing like in X-Com, so you can just jack in a ton of drugs until you're at full health. Or do that at the first turn, while you're getting people into position. They restore 120hp, and a baseline soldier has only 180, so that's most of the way. Injuries should not be slowing you down.

The only thing you have to worry about is stamina, and that's not too big a deal, as you can probably do most easy/medium missions, at least on the default difficulty, with 5-6 without issue. The upshot to doing missions short is that they get more xp, since it's split less ways.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 10:46:49 pm by Aoi »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: December 04, 2019, 10:44:47 pm »

Heh. I figured that out shortly after posting that. Does help.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: December 04, 2019, 11:41:49 pm »

Doesn't matter. They already said they got enough money from Epic that they'd be in the black even if they didn't sell a single copy.

EDIT: Missed that this had already been said, my bad. Either way, disappointed that this turned out the way it did. Also, I heard surprisingly little about the release, didn't even know it was released until I saw this pop up in my "Updated Topics". It seemed like there was a lot of hype for this before the Epic deal, I wonder what numbers will shake out to be, but I doubt we'll actually hear anything about that, and even if we did, there's no way of knowing how it would have sold otherwise.

EDIT2: Wait, the mutation system was apparently cut? Wasn't that the main selling point of the game? Can someone who has it confirm that?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 12:20:13 am by Glloyd »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: December 05, 2019, 01:11:26 am »

Holy, Sirens are OP. Not only do they have extreme amounts of health with healthy armor, but they can mindcontrol way too many people at once. With no cooldown.
I had a Siren mind control three soldiers in a row (one per turn) that I sent to kill it as I was getting desperate to free my MC'd soldiers. But nope, kept on just absolutely tanking the hits then mind controlling whoever was closest.

Also, fun fact: the screen where it shows your dropship flying? Not a loading screen (at least for me). I can skip it instantly with no penalties. Did not realize that at first.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: December 05, 2019, 01:24:32 am »

The Ambush maps are seriously annoying... you start off in the middle of a map, need to survive for three turns, and at the end of the third turn, reinforcements start spawning and you need to flee to an extraction point on the edge of map. Where's that zone? You don't know until it spawns.  >:(

EDIT2: Wait, the mutation system was apparently cut? Wasn't that the main selling point of the game? Can someone who has it confirm that?

I can't tell if they're actually changing or not, but the research for Pandoran Evolution (or something like that) seems to imply that they're actively changing still. Of course, that could just as easily be general flavor text.

Holy, Sirens are OP. Not only do they have extreme amounts of health with healthy armor, but they can mindcontrol way too many people at once. With no cooldown.
I had a Siren mind control three soldiers in a row (one per turn) that I sent to kill it as I was getting desperate to free my MC'd soldiers. But nope, kept on just absolutely tanking the hits then mind controlling whoever was closest.

Just stay back and take them out from a distance. My squad could drop one in a turn and a half of concentrated fire, even accounting for at least a quarter of my shots missing. Admittedly, I've only fought two, and I managed to get the drop on both of them, so I was in a highly advantageous position both times.

Oh, and eventually, you can MC stuff yourself:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 10:02:44 pm by Aoi »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 33