Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33

Author Topic: Phoenix Point : In the works X-COMlike from Gollop  (Read 57143 times)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Phoenix Point : In the works X-COMlike from Gollop
« Reply #450 on: January 28, 2020, 01:41:50 am »

I gave up, regretted spending without refund.  I'll wait for another hype revival.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: January 28, 2020, 02:32:46 am »

I own it from backing on Fig, but I'm waiting for it to come to Steam cos I don't wanna install the Epic launcher just for this game (plus I have the perpetual backlog of games, so waiting isn't a hardship).

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: January 28, 2020, 02:57:37 am »

Bump for great justice.  Am I seriously the only one playing this? I'm quite addicted despite the flaws and it's obvious-betaness
Sure sounds like you are. Most people will likely take another look at it when it gets a Steam release.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #453 on: January 28, 2020, 04:54:50 am »

I played it, it's included on the xbox game pass. It has a lot of issues, so I'm waiting 6 months or so to see if they fix things before i get really invested in a game.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: January 28, 2020, 12:39:47 pm »

I have no doubt I'll try it again at some point, but it just didn't grab me. Or it did for a while but then told me to fuck off with one-shot artillery.

I don't regret buying, owning, or playing it, but I've had no particular reason to play it recently.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: January 28, 2020, 04:27:53 pm »

Yah there are still huge balance issues with chirons, sirens, and (to a lesser extent) armor. It was kind of a problem that they nerfed player techniques to deal with these (eg: assault dash) without nerfing the enemies.

Still, I'm finding stuff that is useful to do. Flying sniper/heavies show their worth early on. Berserker/assaults are very good scouts, and can strip armor with AR or shotgun bursts. Or grenades.

Conversely, the grenade launcher, which I used to love... reloads are way too expensive to be practical. I'd rather bring along a scarab for the low-hanging fruit of long range artillery picks.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: January 28, 2020, 05:42:11 pm »

Yeah. I definitely don't think it's a bad game but by god it's horrifically imbalanced; when the game just starts casually spawning in enemies that can disable or instakill your soldiers without line of sight from across the map, it doesn't feel too rewarding. I'm also the kind of person that cares way too much about mechanical progression in games. Phoenix Point really isn't too bad about this (especially compared to other X-Com games by the guy like Apocalypse) but it still doesn't feel like there's that much of a path forward in technology and whatnot.
So I'm probably going to continue to wait for DLC and balance adjustments.

Yah there are still huge balance issues with chirons, sirens, and (to a lesser extent) armor. It was kind of a problem that they nerfed player techniques to deal with these (eg: assault dash) without nerfing the enemies.
WHAT
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: January 28, 2020, 08:34:23 pm »

yeah, hopefully by the steam release they have some of it ironed out

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: January 29, 2020, 02:57:03 pm »

Yeah. I definitely don't think it's a bad game but by god it's horrifically imbalanced; when the game just starts casually spawning in enemies that can disable or instakill your soldiers without line of sight from across the map, it doesn't feel too rewarding. I'm also the kind of person that cares way too much about mechanical progression in games. Phoenix Point really isn't too bad about this (especially compared to other X-Com games by the guy like Apocalypse) but it still doesn't feel like there's that much of a path forward in technology and whatnot.
So I'm probably going to continue to wait for DLC and balance adjustments.

WHAT

Yeah, your post is related to the problem. Assault dash, while a bit funny, could kind of compensate for some of the problems (eg: by allowing you to quickly withdraw, or conversely, to bumrush an enemy. Back when it was active I was able to survive -and win!- a battle which had three sirens and two chirons by rushing into the only cover available, kill the siren inside, and once safeish snipe and grenade my way out of the conundrum).

I'm fairly sure they pushed up the price of grenade magazines for the launcher. Which makes it... not less useful per se, but very unsustainable.  It's probably still situationally worth it with a berserker that can use it, to strip armor from afar.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: January 31, 2020, 02:24:03 am »

I'm also the kind of person that cares way too much about mechanical progression in games. Phoenix Point really isn't too bad about this (especially compared to other X-Com games by the guy like Apocalypse) but it still doesn't feel like there's that much of a path forward in technology and whatnot.

I find that's one of the things I really miss in this genre after X-Piratez. Sure, half the tech might be flavor, and another quarter of niche use, but there's so much variety and minimal penalty for a controlled failure that you can faff about with whatever you've got for a long time.

I don't recall, but does did FP show you the results of alien autopsies and whatnot up front, like some of the +15% damage perks? While useful, I think it would have worked better as an upgrade for your units-- like an accuracy perk to your units for being able to better predict the movements of a siren, represented by a smaller reticle... And use for extra XP after hitting their level cap.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: February 01, 2020, 09:10:36 pm »

Sidegrades you can mess about with are definitely fine. Good, even. But it's when it feels like those sidegrades are all you ever get in the game is where it becomes a problem for me personally. X-Com Apocalypse does have progression; while it's erratic and infrequent the biggest problem for me there is that it's just not really tied to player ability. Just a timer. Yay, X days have passed since I started the game. Now I can buy the flying armor from Marsec which is also kind of a sidegrade. The only R&D stuff you do as far as I recall is basically just advancing the plot (capturing and containing aliens, invading their dimension) etc. until the endgame where you get to make the endgame gear and make aircraft to invade the aliens.

UFO Afterblank games also suffer from this to a degree. You start the game using scavenged weapons and ammo, unlock ballistic gun+ammo manufacturing, then just use the same gun for the rest of the game (at least that's what I did). Sure, you unlock laser guns and warp guns and so on but those are complete sidegrades. You mostly just progress via units leveling op and upgrading their armor (which is itself a sidegrade, just with the benefits clearly outweighing the negatives).

Phoenix Point is pretty similar to Apocalypse in that way, now I think about it. Feels like the main source of progression is just locked behind the NPC factions doing arbitrary research and whatnot which you can't do. At least there's still more stuff for your team to do research-wise and you do have influence on the factions -- protecting their bases, building relationships, etc.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: February 02, 2020, 06:17:28 am »

Makes you wish you could've invested in companies in Apocalypse to help them "research" along, but the political aspect could've used a fair bit of work in general for Apoc. The R&D stuff did get you weapons, the BioToxin weapons that easily were better then most things at killing aliens once you got to the better poisons

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: February 02, 2020, 12:06:38 pm »

IIRC the toxin weapon's main thing was that they bypassed shields. This was particularily important because it allowed you to *recover* said shields.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: February 02, 2020, 03:07:27 pm »

It also did absurd damage, even with the B toxin (for the even more op C toxin you had to capture the alien queen alive or something, and by then the game was basically over anyway) in a very small an pretty accurate package. You just needed some devastators for some of the missions in the alien dimension to destroy the objectives. Sure, you could use explosives, but Devastators didn't run out of ammo when there was just one stupid McGuffin left to shoot.

If it was a kill all aliens mission you could often do them in one turn: Locate aliens (they started in groups) by running as far in as possible, then teleporting another guy to the edge of sight range. If you found a group of aliens, maybe mind control one to extend revealed map, kill all/the rest with toxigun. Rinse and repeat.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: February 02, 2020, 03:47:18 pm »

There also aren't many games where a perfectly valid beginner weapon loadout can consist of dual-wielded laser snipers.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33