Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33

Author Topic: Phoenix Point : In the works X-COMlike from Gollop  (Read 56653 times)

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
Phoenix Point : In the works X-COMlike from Gollop
« on: June 15, 2016, 11:10:44 am »

Julian Gollop, behind the original XCOM, has a studio putting together a new game  called Phoenix Point, which is set for release in 2018.
It has similar core mechanics to XCOM, but looks like it will play quite differently. Adaptive enemies, a lovecraftian horror theme, and factional diplomacy are the most exciting.
This RPS article is pretty comprehensive.
A bit early for hype, but I'm certainly excited.
Edit, to better convey my excitement:
It has Crab Men!!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
With Gun-arms!!!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 11:15:51 am by Edmus »

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: Phoenix Point : In the works X-COMlike from Gollop
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 12:15:36 pm »

I saw that article the other day, it looks pretty interesting.  I thought it was funny that the whole thing was essentially caused by global warming.  :D
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 01:09:59 pm »

I'm throwing money at the screen but nothing's happening!

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 01:32:59 pm »

Ugggh.. 2018, so far away!

But I like the concept of unique research from the other tribes.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 01:45:21 pm »

I miss the dread feeling playing XCOM back in the mid 80s...  It's 3 am, but I just had to do one more downed ufo mission...  Got to a hallway intersection, turn left, OMFG a sectoid right there in front of my troop, and me (irl) breaking the silence of the night with a scream, AHHH!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 02:48:40 pm »

Procedural monster generation and adaptive tactics are things I've heard a thousand times that, if they even make it to the final product, are never what they were hyped to be.

Cautiously optimistic since it's Julian Gollop, but we're too early in the dev cycle for this stuff to be anything but pie in the sky.
Shoes...

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 03:18:43 pm »

PTW
It's FEF, not FEOF

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 07:00:44 pm »

I'm always okay with more XCOM clones. PTW.
Honestly, I'd like a nuCOM clone that'd focus entirely on a covert/paramilitary conflict between human factions like XCOM:EW had. Yes, I know about Silent Storm, but I actually do want a more streamlined gameplay for this.

Hell, I *played* something along the lines before nuCOM was even a germ of an idea, but I forgot the title altogether.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 09:26:52 pm »

Honestly, I'd like a nuCOM clone that'd focus entirely on a covert/paramilitary conflict between human factions like XCOM:EW had. Yes, I know about Silent Storm, but I actually do want a more streamlined gameplay for this.

Hell, I *played* something along the lines before nuCOM was even a germ of an idea, but I forgot the title altogether.

Jagged Alliance?

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 09:55:13 pm »

Procedural monster generation and adaptive tactics are things I've heard a thousand times that, if they even make it to the final product, are never what they were hyped to be.

Cautiously optimistic since it's Julian Gollop, but we're too early in the dev cycle for this stuff to be anything but pie in the sky.

Speculation mode:
To me it sounds like monsters will almost be "equipped" with various mutations.
"Crabman one gets +20% size, tentacle limbs with toxin upgrade, and a mist generating tumor" that sort of thing. I like the idea, and somehow it feels more exciting than randomised equipment, HP and skills, even though it's essentially the same thing.
Procedural generation is a buzzword for sure.

Not sure what is meant by adaptive tactics yet, or at least how it would work. Rock sissors paper, sort of thing, maybe? The AI goes, "Oh, I took 60% of my damage from fire for the last three missions, I'll weigh monster generation to favour upgrades tagged with fire resistance."
Still, it'll all fall flat without good AI.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2016, 10:26:34 pm »

PTL
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2016, 02:39:13 am »

Jagged Alliance?
No, it was some obscure TBS. I remember it was 3D with a Frozen-Synapsesque stylized graphics.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2016, 03:13:09 am »

PTW.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2016, 03:15:54 am »

I think the real question is whether it will have snake tits or not. (PTW)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33