Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 33

Author Topic: Phoenix Point : In the works X-COMlike from Gollop  (Read 56641 times)

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Phoenix Point : In the works X-COMlike from Gollop
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2016, 08:42:07 pm »

I'm always okay with more XCOM clones. PTW.
Honestly, I'd like a nuCOM clone that'd focus entirely on a covert/paramilitary conflict between human factions like XCOM:EW had. Yes, I know about Silent Storm, but I actually do want a more streamlined gameplay for this.

Hell, I *played* something along the lines before nuCOM was even a germ of an idea, but I forgot the title altogether.

Have you tried the open xcom mod X-Piratez? Pirate simulator 600 years after X-Com lost the war?

99% of the game is robbing random humans armed with small caliber fire arms, with your crew of sexy mutant pirates and their oversized flamethrowers. The major factions are like the church of the aliens, their law enforcement, their merchants and random rich people, you kill or enslave a lot of random rich people, whose only crime is profiting from the alien empire.

The few times you actually meet a sectoid or Crystalid, and come under plasma fire from night-vision capable opponents, are shocking and at least for me result in me shouting "More dakka!" at the screen and having the ladies fire all the guns into the darkness until the whatever terrain is a burning hole in the ground and the aliens are dead.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 08:46:18 pm by thegoatgod_pan »
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2016, 09:25:19 pm »

Crabmen?
NOOoooooope.
Nope!
NOPE!
* Sonlirain nopes the fuck out.

I remember lobstermen from TFTD and crabmen with gun arms is somehow even worse.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2016, 03:28:40 pm »

More XCOM like games? I'm in!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2016, 02:03:51 am »

Glee
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2016, 02:06:22 am »

I'm always okay with more XCOM clones. PTW.
Honestly, I'd like a nuCOM clone that'd focus entirely on a covert/paramilitary conflict between human factions like XCOM:EW had. Yes, I know about Silent Storm, but I actually do want a more streamlined gameplay for this.

Hell, I *played* something along the lines before nuCOM was even a germ of an idea, but I forgot the title altogether.

Jagged Alliance?
No, it was some obscure TBS. I remember it was 3D with a Frozen-Synapsesque stylized graphics.
Invisible Inc.?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2016, 09:33:13 am »

I think the real question is whether it will have snake tits or not. (PTW)
Inb4 crab tits
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2016, 09:57:56 pm »

I think the real question is whether it will have snake tits or not. (PTW)
Inb4 crab tits
Slightly less glamorous than one might imagine.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2016, 02:01:56 pm »

I'm intrigued, PTW. Sounds like a super ambitious project, but the fact it hasn't manifested a Kickstarter campaign yet is encouraging.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2016, 03:59:54 pm »

This looks awesome - whilst I like XCOM/2, I always felt that they had a sort of...gloss that I didn't like. It's the Fraxis gloss, which makes everything a bit cartoony and a bit hammed up whereas this looks more serious about being both grand strategy + tactical gameplay.

However, I'm always wary when developers show up and say a game will be released in a 2 (or more) years. They're still at the 'look at all our awesome ideas!' stage, before budget restraints and streamlining get in the way.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2016, 08:18:36 pm »

This looks awesome - whilst I like XCOM/2, I always felt that they had a sort of...gloss that I didn't like. It's the Fraxis gloss, which makes everything a bit cartoony and a bit hammed up whereas this looks more serious about being both grand strategy + tactical gameplay.

However, I'm always wary when developers show up and say a game will be released in a 2 (or more) years. They're still at the 'look at all our awesome ideas!' stage, before budget restraints and streamlining get in the way.
Yeah, while a game can certainly take itself too seriously, I think there's a balance to be struck. The Mass Effect trilogy is a pretty good example for just how obvious the tonal difference between games is.

He was after publishers at E3 apparently, but I think kickstarter is his backup plan. Given that his team's already pumped out one kickstarter game successfully, I'm fairly optimistic for delivery, even if they do crowdsource.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2016, 10:42:16 pm »

All he has to do to get a publisher at this point is to point at XCOM and go:

"You see that super popular game? I originally made that game. Everyone knows it. Now here's my version of it, except it's even better!"

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2016, 06:01:15 am »

Yes, but better doesn't mean more sales, which is the more important number for the publishers. Especially as better in this case seems to mean more complex. Which I think is great, personally.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2016, 07:02:17 am »

All the love for any Gollop game.

Dosbox some lasersquad nemisis, its still good.  that new "Chaos" fantasy hex tactical thing looks great, meaning to pick it up soon.

Will play this new crabtits thing also, cause the gameplay in their stuff makes even the dumbest fiction endurable. 

Also willing to bet it wont be nearly as dumb as nucom.

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2016, 12:51:52 pm »

ptw

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2016, 01:37:39 pm »

You know, the RPS article makes it sound like it is xcom cross-bred with Warning Forever

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 33