Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 33

Author Topic: Phoenix Point : In the works X-COMlike from Gollop  (Read 56635 times)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Phoenix Point : In the works X-COMlike from Gollop
« Reply #195 on: September 13, 2017, 05:21:24 pm »

I haven't read absolutely all of the lengthy debate/argument about fig - and the whole armchair economics stuff quickly degrades into a game of 'what ifs'. That being said, it's fair to say that Fig is pretty much universally seen as pretty shady funding mechanism - it tries to sell the 'investor' bit, and the returns are very doubtful. It was set up with a whole host of shell companies and get out of payment clauses which go way beyond just corporate arse covering.

I don't think anyone here is saying that it's going to be an incredible investment or anything, so I think we're all on the same page - dodgy, but not quite possible yet to say if it's really dodgy or not.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 13, 2017, 05:23:56 pm »

Spoiler: Figpost (click to show/hide)
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 13, 2017, 05:45:38 pm »

Getting back to despair and hatred about the game itself:
PPE: Looked at the actual 'detailed' post on the ballistics. It does not fill me with hope. This feels like the kind of thing that ends in screaming frustration when a soldier has the wrong pose behind cover.
Yeah this reminds me heavily of DF's "screw damage values, let's emulate physics" approach. Which... physically works, I guess, but has some wonky-ass and not necessarily desirable results, like armor of a material rendering you virtually immune to weapons of said material.

In a similar vein, when he talks about how awesome the combat is but then admits that it physically prevents him from conveying information to the player and that the exact pose of your soldier is going to super matter and that it still can't model this other complex thing he wants to do, I find it hard not to worry that he's got madness in his eyes and is going to make a Best Thing Ever that doesn't really make the game better.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

DAPARROT

• Bay Watcher
  • More parrots
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 13, 2017, 05:50:57 pm »

PTW
I should probably introduce the actual plot soon
7/11 guy, bringer of the apocabeepse. Uplifter of threads. Herald of the hive.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 13, 2017, 05:54:29 pm »

Hmm. That's, like, pretty much the same system that the game Valkyria Chronicles uses. It doesn't seem particularly difficult to use in that game.
(On your turn, you get to move one of your soldiers at a time within their movement range. If you move in front of an enemy, they'll just overwatch shoot at you continually until you move out of the way. When you shoot, it goes over the shoulder and you get a little circle representing where your bullets might go, which you can move manually to aim for headshots and such.)
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 13, 2017, 06:24:32 pm »

Getting back to despair and hatred about the game itself:
PPE: Looked at the actual 'detailed' post on the ballistics. It does not fill me with hope. This feels like the kind of thing that ends in screaming frustration when a soldier has the wrong pose behind cover.
Yeah this reminds me heavily of DF's "screw damage values, let's emulate physics" approach. Which... physically works, I guess, but has some wonky-ass and not necessarily desirable results, like armor of a material rendering you virtually immune to weapons of said material.

In a similar vein, when he talks about how awesome the combat is but then admits that it physically prevents him from conveying information to the player and that the exact pose of your soldier is going to super matter and that it still can't model this other complex thing he wants to do, I find it hard not to worry that he's got madness in his eyes and is going to make a Best Thing Ever that doesn't really make the game better.

Personally the sense I got from it was that he was trying to return to original X-Com/TFTD/Apoc-style shooting where a bullet's trajectory checked if it hit something else, instead of just hitting or missing. The difference being that, as far as I recall from nuCom, you couldn't hit a friend/alien behind the target. You either hit or your missed, and you might damage cover but you'd never hit someone else.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 13, 2017, 06:35:01 pm »

Personally the sense I got from it was that he was trying to return to original X-Com/TFTD/Apoc-style shooting where a bullet's trajectory checked if it hit something else, instead of just hitting or missing. The difference being that, as far as I recall from nuCom, you couldn't hit a friend/alien behind the target. You either hit or your missed, and you might damage cover but you'd never hit someone else.

Yeah, that does seem the most likely option. It does, however, seem silly that you can't derive a hit percentage. I just really, really, really dislike 'realistic ballistics' when what they mean is 'randomized raytrace'.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 14, 2017, 02:15:35 am »

Matthew 21:19
In the morning, as Jesus was returning to the city, He was hungry. Seeing a fig tree along the road, He went up to it but found nothing on it except leaves. “May you never bear” fruit again! He said. And immediately the tree withered. 20When the disciples saw this, they marveled and asked, “How did the fig tree wither so quickly?

« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 12:16:41 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 14, 2017, 02:37:54 am »

Yeah, that does seem the most likely option. It does, however, seem silly that you can't derive a hit percentage. I just really, really, really dislike 'realistic ballistics' when what they mean is 'randomized raytrace'.

That's a good point, but "randomized raytrace" is still better than "50% chance to shoot through three allies and a concrete wall, 50% chance to hit something 10 meters away from the intended target.".
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 14, 2017, 10:04:25 am »

I'm not down on the mechanic, I'm just nervous about the way they're talking about it. It makes me skittish when people start throwing around 'realistic' like its a buzzword. I think, or at least I want to think, that this can be done really well- but I'm going to slap a caveat in there.

The part about snipers being able to grab headshots against enemies who think they're safe, that's again something that I could come down on either side of depending on how its implemented. If it lets the Sniper shoot through cover as a skill, I'm going to roll my eyes a bit. If it highlights an enemy's body so that cover offers no concealment and the high-powered sniper rifle is intrinsically able to shoot through cover, then I'm happy. If it means that snipers can call a shot every once in a while to fire on a point instead of the normal cone, I'm also fairly happy.

I want to be able to love this game, it's just the dev posts that activate all of my 'Danger, Will Robinson, Danger!' sensors.

On another note, I'm still ambivalent about the world map, but that's again largely due to the comparisons they make to other games, Stellaris being of note. However, if it's used more tonally- more in the 'It's dark, we've got a plane full of people, low supplies, half a tank of gas, no idea where Chicago is, and there aren't enough sunglasses to go around' vibe where the map is a threatening thing. In Stellaris, each individual point on the map usually feels me with pangs of regret and resignation, as I know I'm going to have marry, sleep with, or kill every one of those points in order to win the game. If I look at the 200 points on the geoscape and recoil with fear because I know 85% want to kill me personally, that's good. If I look at the 200 points on the geoscape and recoil because I know I'm going to have to tediously grind through these fucking pop-up events, that's bad.

We'll have to wait and see. In all honesty, I'd be happy if this game stayed pretty far away from the 'realistic' adjective.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 14, 2017, 11:23:06 am »

iirc one of the dev logs mentioned that people would only end up visiting a fraction of all locations and would sometimes have to pick one/a few out of many available choices.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 14, 2017, 03:06:43 pm »

iirc one of the dev logs mentioned that people would only end up visiting a fraction of all locations and would sometimes have to pick one/a few out of many available choices.

i like that idea. the stellaris comparison creates a huge pitfall: it's a slog to search every star, but you're obviously supposed to, but then the game falls off a cliff once you have.

better to make it highly impractical to do so relative to the length of the game/objectives, e.g., with some ramping threat that you have to deal with faster than you could possibly visit all the locations.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 14, 2017, 05:56:26 pm »

Other options could be the other factions also visiting the locations and/or making at least some of them time sensitive.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 14, 2017, 07:42:46 pm »

In other words, XCOM 2's geoscape.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 14, 2017, 10:49:21 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 33