Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 33

Author Topic: Phoenix Point : In the works X-COMlike from Gollop  (Read 57270 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Phoenix Point : In the works X-COMlike from Gollop
« Reply #285 on: February 23, 2019, 07:30:27 am »

To double-post with some content, the game is apparently now available for purchase, with the $60 version also granting a key to the early access build.

I'm gonna do a quick poke around to see if I can find some videos of someone playing the early access version. Or trying to play it, at least. It's early access, after all...

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 23, 2019, 07:39:28 am »

Should be possible, there was no NDA as long as you say that it is an alpha beforehand.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 23, 2019, 08:34:49 am »

I'm finding alpha videos that were posted 4+ months ago. I guess this isn't quite as new a development as I'd thought.

Anyways, here's an official gameplay recording from the community manager from a couple weeks ago. It starts off with trailer footage, the actual in-game stuff starts at around 1:10.

That's probably rather canned material however, so here's someone with a British accent and a long intro to show off some other things.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 23, 2019, 11:10:53 am »

Yeah, based on the videos people have made, this has the potential to be a great game, but I can't imagine the play experience being better now than at release. Why pay extra to test an alpha?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 23, 2019, 11:27:57 am »

Yeah, based on the videos people have made, this has the potential to be a great game, but I can't imagine the play experience being better now than at release. Why pay extra to test an alpha?
So you can get ++gud by training and honing your skills, and then dab on the nubs by showing off how you got all the achievements on day 1 of 1.0.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 12, 2019, 03:46:34 pm »

So...this is a thing.

Basically, Phoenix Point is only going to be in the Epic store for at least the first year of release.
Anyone who preordered or backed the game will get the first year's worth of DLC free.
Refunds will be available for anyone who does not wish to have the game on the Epic store/platform.

Which...I guess I already have the Epic launcher, so, eh? Would have preferred Steam, but a DLC or two for free is a nice bonus.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 12, 2019, 03:50:53 pm »

I won't buy things from that store until they actually work to improve it and not just buy exclusives. Can always get it on steam in a year.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 12, 2019, 05:16:00 pm »

*Snork*... Yeah, I wonder how well Epic's "Just throw money at things" strategy is actually going to pay off on this venture of theirs.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 12, 2019, 06:00:06 pm »

That dislike to like ratio though. And the comments.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 12, 2019, 06:37:57 pm »

I never understood that. I figured it's just the general 'they changed it so I hate it' reaction of peeps who don't wanna move to another distribution platform. Anything to add some competition to the market and get valve to make some long-needed changes to Steam is good in my eyes, even if it is a little inconvenient. Honestly, the biggest problem I had was every publisher and their mother making a brand new distribution platform for like, six games. Here's looking at you, origin.

Anyway, this game looks like cash fucking money. I'll buy it once the price goes down a tad, seeing as how I'll be picking up WOTC soon since I waited for the same from it.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 12, 2019, 07:52:21 pm »

I never understood that. I figured it's just the general 'they changed it so I hate it' reaction of peeps who don't wanna move to another distribution platform. Anything to add some competition to the market and get valve to make some long-needed changes to Steam is good in my eyes, even if it is a little inconvenient. Honestly, the biggest problem I had was every publisher and their mother making a brand new distribution platform for like, six games. Here's looking at you, origin.

Anyway, this game looks like cash fucking money. I'll buy it once the price goes down a tad, seeing as how I'll be picking up WOTC soon since I waited for the same from it.
Having to use many different programs is detrimental for the consumer, both because of the inconvenience (remember that the main benefit of Steam initially is that unlike other methods of buying games, it is was more convenient than piracy) and because the more small launchers there are, the greater the chance one you're using will go under and take your games with it. Remember the shenanigans with Impulse, the old Steam-killer? Or what about Desura, slightly more recently? It's not at all unreasonable to place limited faith in the longevity of the current batch of challengers. Furthermore, there's the ethical issue. Desura and Impulse both stood on pretty solid footing in this regard, before they were bought out, and that change hastened both of their demises even if mismanagement was a bigger factor in Desura's case. As a final nail in the coffin, these things typically have a terrible user experience, and Epic is no exception. Personally, I just recently opened the program and found that they got hacked and blocked my password. That's what they should do if they get hacked, but... Steam doesn't really get hacked. And it took me a bunch of tries to reset my password because I needed a new password email for each of the shitty errors they threw. And even when it worked, that wasn't victory, because I didn't know it worked – the password reset threw an error then too.

On the plus side, after I got into it, it gave me Slime Rancher for free. In fact, it seems they give a free game every two weeks. Which is cool except... I could have got it for free easier by pirating. Getting free shit on the internet isn't hard. People like Steam because it's better than free.

As for this game, for me, this has shunted it into the same category as Six Ages: looks good, but I won't be playing it on anything like launch even though I would if I conveniently could.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 07:53:54 pm by Cruxador »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 12, 2019, 07:59:48 pm »

Yeah I log into Epic every two weeks for the free shit. Other than that don't really use it, including to play said free shit.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 12, 2019, 09:36:49 pm »

Penny Arcade puts the problem best

This kind of shit is what playing on PC was supposed to avoid.
Shoes...

anexiledone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 12, 2019, 10:20:35 pm »

The biggest issue to me is that developers are promising release on multiple platforms then springing Epic exclusivity on the consumers. Phoenix Point was promised to be available on Steam and GoG according to their kickstarter. They said screw that promise when someone threw them more money. It doesn't develop a healthy relationship with the consumer, and without a healthy consumer relationship your game will get absolutely shredded by the community unless it's perfect. I'm not saying I agree with how fickle the gaming community can be, but it's usually what ends up happening

I'm more upset with Epic than I am all of these developers though. Keep throwing money at exclusive rights but you can't throw the money at actually improving the launcher itself or it's security

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 12, 2019, 11:49:20 pm »

Yeah, it's a really shitty way to approach your relationship with your fanbase. Which is why I don't really like the console wars analogy, because I can't think of a single example where a game was made exclusive to a console days before release after having been advertised and sold for pre-orders on the store of the opposing console since it had been announced, as was the case with Metro. It's just a really scummy move from Epic, and also the publishers/developers who go along with it. I get why it's hard for devs to pass up the free money from Epic, but it seems like a lot of them, especially smaller devs like Snapshot, are just shooting themselves in the foot for short term gain.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 33