Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 33

Author Topic: Phoenix Point : In the works X-COMlike from Gollop  (Read 56649 times)

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Phoenix Point : In the works X-COMlike from Gollop
« Reply #330 on: March 16, 2019, 04:10:38 am »

Yeah, afaik we'll get the steam/gog key in addition to the epic key. It really shouldn't bother epic anyway, because the backers already spent their money.
It'll be interesting if we get all the DLC on the alternative platforms as well, or only for epic.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: March 16, 2019, 05:01:50 am »

The best thing you could do then is not to pay for it on Epic. Epic then pays out to Gollop under their guaranteed income policy and you can save your cash to buy it through a direct channel later.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: March 16, 2019, 05:16:01 am »

I already backed. And I won't buy on Epic anyway. I even try avoiding buying on steam. If you insist on a Launcher, I won't buy your game unless it is at least 50% reduced. And if it is on gog as well, I'll buy there even if I pay a bit more.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: March 17, 2019, 01:20:28 pm »

So earlier this year I was thinking of have to decide whether to pick up this or Xenonauts 2 this year.

But I guess this makes the choice for me. Thanks Phoenix Point!
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: March 25, 2019, 04:24:24 am »

So earlier this year I was thinking of have to decide whether to pick up this or Xenonauts 2 this year.

But I guess this makes the choice for me. Thanks Phoenix Point!
Don't be hasty. I think you need to consider carefully which of those has more balaten before making the purchase
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 04:36:59 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: April 30, 2019, 02:04:37 pm »

They raised $765,000 on fig and continued selling the game on their site: this article from last Summer tells us they'd raised a total of $2,000,000 at that point in time. Looks like they were bringing in ~100k-200k per month back then, from their preorder sales through their site. Obviously not enough to sustain their company indefinitely, and maybe not even enough to finish the game -- I don't disagree with you there -- but still a lot more than $765,000.

Taking the Epic money is just good business, and I don't fault them for that, but the preorders they were selling explicitly stated they'd give you Steam/GOG keys and access to backer builds. I don't think it's "uber-entitled" to wish for the fulfillment of that contract. Snapshot Games was already delivering the backer builds directly: I have their launcher kicking around on my hard drive somewhere. If they can't offer Steam keys because of their exclusivity deal with Epic, the very least they could do is continue providing DRM-free builds to their current backers/preorderers, similar to how Steam preorders of Metro Exodus were handled after the Epic deal.

The issue, I think, a lot of people have is that Epic is actively taking agency away from us. Phoenix Point is easily the worst offender so far, because we've already given them our money and now they aren't letting us play their game (for a year) unless we download and use Epic's launcher, which just validates Epic's strategy. If Epic wants to bankroll exclusives, I don't really have a problem with that -- I'm only frustrated in this case because I already bought the product and the terms have been changed under my nose.

There's an interesting breakdown of the money side here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/phoenix-point-fig-backers-have-accrued-191-return-to-date-can-we-calculate-the-epic-moneyhat.112525/

Based on the Fig investor email sent out a couple days ago, Epic paid around $2.25 million for 1 year of exclusivity (reverse-engineered from the fact that Fig/Snapshot has announced all the Fig backers will get a 91% ROI in May, from Epic's sales guarantees).

Basically it just makes too much sense for Snapshot. They get a better deal on Epic, they get money now, etc.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 30, 2019, 02:39:38 pm »

Well, if the version on Steam has the first year's worth of add-ons and DLC, it may even be better for patient consumers in the long run.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: April 30, 2019, 03:34:50 pm »

Isn't the whole Fig thing run by the scammers behind Spacebase 9 etc?

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: April 30, 2019, 03:54:40 pm »

If you want to see people argue over whether or not Fig is shady, you can go back about 10 pages (default forum settings) on this thread.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: April 30, 2019, 06:17:46 pm »

Well, if the version on Steam has the first year's worth of add-ons and DLC, it may even be better for patient consumers in the long run.

Part of why I'm happy to wait. It's not like there isn't enough other stuff to keep me busy. 10 years ago I would have been pissed but I really don't have time to waste on a Paradox-style "It'll be good eventually" game anymore.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 30, 2019, 11:00:07 pm »

Is the game any good?
EDIT: Ah, its not out yet.  From what I could tell on the scant screenshots, the X-Com remake might very well be a better game.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: April 30, 2019, 11:52:04 pm »

We'll have to see. Some early videos I saw showed promise, but I think it'll really be the monsters evolving that'll make or break it. And I haven't seen any actual gameplay videos of that other than dev blog type stuff which just shows off what is possible.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 01, 2019, 02:28:52 am »

Well then you're not really looking that hard, I'm pretty sure there are already a couple LPs out with people playing early backer builds.

It's a bit skin and bones, yes, but there's... Promise. I still don't really know what I think about the aiming system.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 01, 2019, 05:15:44 am »

I don't think they know either.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 01, 2019, 08:33:15 am »

The aiming system seems pretty cool to me. I guess it could be annoying to feel like you have to do it every time, but even if you do, it's not like you have to consider that carefully every single time.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 33