Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there a better way to do this on Linux?  (Read 2422 times)

daisha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is there a better way to do this on Linux?
« on: June 16, 2016, 02:36:44 am »

I've been running the whole shebang through wine for a few days, but it's not as stable as I'd like and the therapist won't play nice when I have multiple displays enabled.

Is anyone else playing on Linux?  What do you do?  Is it possible to play MWDF with linux native vanilla executables, or does the launcher GUI pack tasks other than launching into the dwarf icon?

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a better way to do this on Linux?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 03:40:06 am »

After generating a world, you might be able to copy the data and hack/scripts folders into a linux pack and play.

daisha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 02:19:59 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion, that sounds like maybe less work than what I was thinking (or at least, less up-front work.)  I'll report back on whether it works when I've had a chance to get some 42.06 linux binaries working.

daisha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 04:27:33 pm »

Okay, I gave it a shot, simply merging the windows hack and data directories into their linux 42.06 LNP analogues.  I didn't get immediate success, but the result wasn't totally depressing: just some complaints about the font upon trying to load a region, then a relatively graceful exit to desktop.  I think it might work with a more intelligent graphics/font selection, but I don't have time to generate 20 worlds right now.  I don't really know tons about the working of dfhack and the mod more generally, but the more I learn the more I feel like it's just not going to work without a linux launcher.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2016, 04:44:16 pm »

You shouldn't copy the hack directory entirely, only its script subdirectory. Otherwise you are going to add some windows only stuff into your linux build.

daisha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 02:55:18 am »

I've very much lost interest in this project since playing vanilla 42.06 with native linux binaries a bit and noticing it is actually even less stable than 42.06 Masterwork 1.06 with windows binaries run through wine.  ???

TaigaR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 04:06:04 am »

Could someone please make an instruction how to run Masterwork on Linux? Because as we know DF uses 2 cpu cores only on Linux, that`s why I have moved here. Really so small amount of people plays on Linux?

daisha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 02:17:54 am »

I use https://www.playonlinux.com/en/, which makes use of community scripts to get various bits working in wine.  It works on multiple distros.

Once you've installed PlayonLinux, do the following to get MWDF working:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 11:25:46 am by daisha »