Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Anyone playing without Starter Packs?  (Read 14985 times)

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone playing without Starter Packs?
« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2016, 12:38:19 pm »

Other than that, there is the "dfhack enabled automatically in LNP" some time ago.  In the past, maybe.  The recent versions did have the option to not run dfhack at all--it was even set to OFF.  And even turning it on, I still have to check which options I want to run at the start.  The tweaks the save FPS seems helpful.

Which version of the Lazy Newb Pack are you using that has it off by default? In the MacNewbie pack it's on by default. And these hacks are enabled by default:
  • AutoGems
  • Autobuild coffins
  • State of Decay: Rotting Corpses
  • State of Decay: Starving Dead
  • View item information
  • Workflow - production targets

Also I will add that now that we can embark normally on a 1x1, the larger tilesets do have a stronger appeal.

I like 1x1 embarks too. If you're on a 1080p display playing in windowed mode, a 20-pixel tall tile size is perfect for a 1-by-1 embark. I'm thinking of making a 20x20 version of GemSet for this. I think GemSet has creature tiles for nearly everything, and they're all drawn in a consistent style.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2016, 12:40:06 pm »

(Plus, with well designed sets you can always zoom down to reproduce 8x12, *cough, cough*)

It's funny that /dfg/ is probably the nicest and most approachable part of 4chan, don't need to filter out newbies when the game does it already.

Chase

• Bay Watcher
  • I like video games
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2016, 07:41:02 pm »

ptw
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 02:33:57 am by Chase »
Fantasy World Simulation Enthusiast

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2016, 09:14:15 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's just a package that busy people download things all in one place.  Like, maybe a hardcore problem solving tiger could tune their TV every time by soldering new capacitors to the antenna, but I would still suggest that a newbie use the remote.  They'll still be watching the same show.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 24, 2016, 09:20:12 am »

Yes. I like to fine tune game to my own needs.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

thoushaltcallmelars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 04, 2016, 10:53:07 am »

*raises hand*
The only thing I have is Dwarf Therapist and my own personal RAW edits (which are mostly dumb things, like putting [TRAINABLE_WAR] on pigs. UNLEASH THE SWINE!)
Overseer Lars cancels Fortress Mode; Raging at his own stupidity.

Suffice to say, I shall forever associate all dyers with Bomrek Romekas, The Dyer, who slew four dwarves (and wounded a speardwarf) and a wardog while alive, without weapons, armor, or even clothing, before rising from the dead to rip three dwarves' limbs off. Wasn't even combat with the ghost, just "<ghost> batters <dwarf>" and I look and there's a leg, a sock, and a pool of blood.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 04, 2016, 10:58:32 am »

I think Toady mentioned making all creatures trainable in the last question answer post.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 04, 2016, 09:05:19 pm »

I think the important thing to remember is that everyone has their own way of enjoying the game. There is no correct way to play and there shouldn't be. It would limit options and take some of the fun away. Vanilla, mods a-plenty, or anything in between is all cool, whatever floats your yet to be implemented boat.

Personally I use PeredexisErrant's LNP for Gemset & basic Dfhack features (u-l labor screen, bugfixes, clean commands)
I personally find the default labors editing unnecessarily tedious and I don't like having to tab over to Therapist.

Also this LNP has everything turned off by default. I learned to play with its default settings & Pheobus tileset and just googling "DF how to farm" or whatever and reading the wiki whenever i didn't understand something.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 04, 2016, 09:34:16 pm »

Yes, I play without starter packs.

That is... until the starter pack and other utilities catch up to the latest stable build of DF, then I switch back to using a starter pack.

DeCervantes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 08, 2016, 06:56:58 am »

I play plain vainilla. The most I do is the adjusment you can do in the init and init_d for defaults, like carvings being hidden by default and embark size 3x3 by default. But thats stuff thats supposed to be adjustable anyway.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 08, 2016, 07:00:58 am »

I've been watching DasTactic's video to help out new players, and he uses the Lazy Newb Pack. As everyone here knows, and as the name would imply, makes the game operate much better. To be honest, I use it mostly for the graphics and sometimes soundsense. I don't really mess with other settings to make the game too easy, otherwise that wouldn't be fun. I'll only use Dwarf Therapist if I really need to, but refrain from doing so if I can.

How many people do not use these starter things at all and just play the game vanilla? It looks extremely daunting and eye-straining. I don't like playing with kits or mods, I like to play games exactly how they were made and nothing more, but the vanilla DF looks like too much to handle.
I played the vanilla, with the quickstart guide. It would've been a lot harder without the guide, I suppose.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 10, 2016, 10:37:39 am »

I play vanilla, except I change a few things like disallow pets from coffins by default, display water depth, display fps, change some key bindings, and change the graphics set so that in windowed mode I get to see the little beards on my dwarves.

I don't use therapist or dfhack, as part of the fun in my opinion is getting a work around running for a certain function. Instead, I use a google docs spreadsheet to keep track of how many people are in what profession, and I use some macros to quickly assign a profession.

PopTart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 10, 2016, 09:33:55 pm »

I haven't used a starter pack in a while. I install dfhack and TWBT. I use my own tileset or sometimes mix it up with other square tilesets. Occasionally a graphics pack, but the stylized ASCII tilesets are my favorite. I don't care about racial graphics. I wish it were easier to customize item graphics.

I admire TWBT for multilevel rendering and the separate tileset for menus. But I am comfortable playing without TWBT, because then I get to use TrueType fonts (Georgia bold currently), which look the best.

I rely on dfhack primarily for the labor spreadsheet. I like to see all the professions enabled at a glance. I like to make sure only my most skilled dwarfs are on the important crafting jobs, while everyone else is drafted or crafts in which time and/or quality don't matter. I would use Therapist for this purpose if it became available before dfhack. But I wouldn't use any of Therapist's other features.

Of course, I also admire dfhack for its FPS help and other timesaving tweaks (autodump destroy et al.). I try to avoid using fastdwarf (especially teleport). I used to use workflow, but eventually found it unnecessary.

Chase

• Bay Watcher
  • I like video games
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 05, 2017, 02:32:57 am »

I play vanilla, except I change a few things like disallow pets from coffins by default, display water depth, display fps, change some key bindings, and change the graphics set so that in windowed mode I get to see the little beards on my dwarves.

I don't use therapist or dfhack, as part of the fun in my opinion is getting a work around running for a certain function. Instead, I use a google docs spreadsheet to keep track of how many people are in what profession, and I use some macros to quickly assign a profession.

I've never used texture packs or increase the window size because i noticed some fps drops but i wonder if using that square tileset would be okay. My setting are: show fps, 100 dwarf limit, 3x3 default embark, not resizable window, no intro and obv. no sound. I make macros for anything else, assigning jobs, digging out bedrooms, assigning rooms, my skill build for my adventure character. honestly, vanilla does everything if you use everything it has to offer, you can be more productive than mods. just record a macro if you notice you're doing a lot of the same 3-5 button inputs. vanilla's color is really easy on the eyes once you get used to the colors, they arent really eccentric. But what really kinda impresses me personally, is that people will play an outdated version when they could play the newest version if they just gave it an actual chance. My rant is over hahaha.
Fantasy World Simulation Enthusiast
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]