Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: XbrokenX / Worn setting for stockpiles  (Read 1042 times)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
XbrokenX / Worn setting for stockpiles
« on: July 16, 2016, 08:12:08 am »

A very simple addition, stockpiles have seperate broken (for furniture/goods) and worn (for clothing stockpiles) that can discriminate.

As the current system stands, the only way to collect broken goods is by directly allocating it to refuse (which in itself is a poorly used alternative to just dumping it in a zone/lava right away) and if there is going to be any method of repairing these goods. It would be useful to keep them in clear discriminatory (broken goods of a particular stone type and particular object type) rather than making a warehouse of all the same item type with randomized materials as per the refuse stockpile.

On top of these changes, if broken and worn clothes are brought into the norm, as a quality type (the worst possible one or a chance of being created by poorly trained and very unpractical/creative sentient beings from the workshop, naturally dwarves VERY rarely make broken products and become very upset over doing so with high craftsmanship values) then it would be justifiable to nerf the cost of second hand broken/worn clothes in trading by giving it a negative value modifier (half price bargain basement etc.)

Though there might be a initial uproar about just reducing the cost, for a budding adventurer or even a needle handy dwarf, buying a old garment to improve or even convert into okay quality cloth (with a little penalty to base cloth quality to stop 'reforging' clothes as well as meltdowns due to destroying masterwork clothes) is a worthwhile endeavor if the product can be as good or even better than the original.

The same concept can be translated to all other item types if they go over any kind of restorative process. (yes im aware there is another thread on the forum at the moment covering a similar topic, but mine is stockpile centric)

One less exploit, for more features seems to be a nice ratio

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XbrokenX / Worn setting for stockpiles
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 01:59:31 am »

I agree there is a need for a worn quality stockpile setting, at least for clothes. If coupled with auto release of ownership of the worn stuff that could significantly reduce the chore of cleaning up the clutter of discarded clothing. Personality could cause some dorfs to not release their worn stuff, but rather hoard it.

Pricing is d different issue which probably would tie in with the (re)creation of an economy. It's rather silly that you can buy out caravans with discarded clothing...

Repair as an alternative to discard and replace is an interesting one, in particular for hard to replace underwear... I think repairing an item should at most bring it back up to its original quality, but not above it, with a shoddy repair job resulting in a degradation of the base quality.
Another idea is that repairing an owned item a sufficient number of times could result it in becoming a named cherished item. That, however, would probably require an economy where dorfs bring their stuff to the clothier for repair.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 07:01:39 am »

...it would be justifiable to nerf the cost of second hand broken/worn clothes in trading by giving it a negative value modifier (half price bargain basement etc.)
They do have a decreased cost. It's just not very noticeable most times.

I took some samples of clothing in my fort:
Code: [Select]
(large alpaca wool left glove) = 36☼
x(large alpaca wool left glove)x = 19☼

≡rope reed shoe≡ = 140☼
x≡rope reed shoe≡x = 135☼
x≡rope reed shoe≡x = 138☼
x≡rope reed shoe≡x = 120☼

☼rope reed shoe☼ = 340☼
x☼rope reed shoe☼x = 339☼
Looks like it's not tied to the discrete wear categories, but the continuous wear value tracked by the game. I bet an almost-disintegrated item would have near 0 value. I'm not sure about a masterwork, though.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 07:23:14 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 06:40:20 pm »

I suppose the linear scaling of clothing value by wear level makes sense in corporate parlance when it amortization, but not to regular people who will not be able to sell even newly-bought car for what they paid for it (even with today's mass-production, 14*140=1960 pieces of high-quality clothing should be more than comparable to some booze, cheese and metalworking tools and products, and that clothing is all hand-made).

The difference is then between caravan being a company or an individual.

But I digress. Sorting clothing and armor by wear level is desirable for littering alone, so stockpile setting for them would be quite welcome.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 06:46:00 pm by Fleeting Frames »