Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: The most complex games  (Read 20260 times)

Cormack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The most complex games
« on: June 18, 2016, 03:13:51 am »

What are other most complex games, I mean DF level of complexity.

I know Aurora the space sim, it is indeed quite complex but it literslly takes about 10 minutes to do one turn after about 50 years ingame so I passed.

Preferably strategy, roguelike, 4X or simulation.
Yes, I'm gay.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: The most complex games
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 03:43:27 am »

Gary Grigsby's wargames are ridiculously complex.  War in the Pacific is barely a game.
Shoes...

Ekaton

• Bay Watcher
  • Love the Bomb
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 04:06:19 am »

A lot of Matrix's games are quite complex - apart from those mentioned already I highly recommend Command Modern Air/Naval Operations which is probably the most realistic naval and air warfare simulator available now and also I recommend Hearts of Iron III with Black Ice mod and its Total War sub-mod, it is hard to get more complex than that.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 05:20:05 am »

I guess...

Human Resource Maschine, that one game where you connect elements on mars, Braid...

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2016, 06:45:25 am »

Factorio has nice complexity.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 07:04:55 am »

I'd say the city building sim series "Ceasar III, Pharaoh, Zeus" are pretty complex. There's a lot of different mechanics to keep track of and maintain, supplies for industries and so on. Once you get a hold of it all it's not hard but it's quite a few different things to keep in mind.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2016, 09:56:05 am »

Ceasar/Pharoah/Zues are all the same game with different skins in my experience...and more like puzzle games really...once you find an optimal layout that's it...game over...no more fun because that's all there is to do anymore

ParsleyPWG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Poking Water Games
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2016, 10:54:12 am »

It's pretty old, but Space Empires V is pretty complex. They give you lots of options on how to customise your ship, although if you want a decent late game you need the Balance Mod. Otherwise the OP weapons become ridiculous.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2016, 12:45:31 pm »

Have you tried AI War? It's incredibly complex - hundreds of unit types and massive strategic depth. It's also one of the few games where I've actually felt like I was fighting an angry Artificial Intelligence, rather than just a long IF statement.

RL wise: Sil is a very complex tolkien based Rogulike (http://www.amirrorclear.net/flowers/game/sil/), there's also Incursion which is great, although very buggy (search on the other games forum for an updated and slightly less buggy version).

4x wise: Distant Worlds is pretty complex, although I wouldn't say it's very difficult once you get the hang of it. Homeworld 2 can be extremely complex with some of the other mods - more in a strategic sense rather than a 'work out what stuff actually does' way.

I'd also second JA2 as a great one.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

hawkeye_de

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2016, 02:23:21 pm »

A lot of Matrix's games are quite complex - apart from those mentioned already I highly recommend Command Modern Air/Naval Operations which is probably the most realistic naval and air warfare simulator available now and also I recommend Hearts of Iron III with Black Ice mod and its Total War sub-mod, it is hard to get more complex than that.

I also recommend Command Modern Air/Naval Operations if you have any interest for a hyper-realistic post wwii tactical naval/air simulator. And of course DCS world, like flying the A-10.
"No matter what you or anyone else does, there will be someone who says that there's something bad about it. Whenever somebody comes up with a good idea, there's somebody else who has never had a good idea in his life who stands up and says, "Oh, you can't do that..."

-Tom Clancy

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2016, 02:49:11 pm »

Have you tried AI War? It's incredibly complex - hundreds of unit types and massive strategic depth. It's also one of the few games where I've actually felt like I was fighting an angry Artificial Intelligence, rather than just a long IF statement.

mmm ehhhh... I guess... The complexity sort of wears thin when you can basically build everything anyway.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2016, 02:59:08 pm »

I'll second War in the Pacific: AE. See AARs on this forum.  :)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2016, 04:19:02 pm »

Mars simulation project. Not really complex per say but fucking deep and detailed, dwarf fortress style deep and maybe even more. Think what would happen if DF became a space colony type simulator management. Sank so much hour in that thing its crazy deep and can be complex at time.

http://mars-sim.sourceforge.net/
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2016, 04:25:21 pm »

X3 is the first game that comes to mind when I think of complexity. Though that may have been more an issue of poor UI design...pretty much every button on the keyboard had a function to learn.

ParsleyPWG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Poking Water Games
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2016, 04:51:54 pm »

X3 is the first game that comes to mind when I think of complexity. Though that may have been more an issue of poor UI design...pretty much every button on the keyboard had a function to learn.

I wish X3 had a better UI, every time I would get too big/have too many factories it would just become tedious to play and I'd lose interest
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7