Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mod request - difficulty mod for stress levels.  (Read 1903 times)

Xira

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mod request - difficulty mod for stress levels.
« on: June 19, 2016, 08:51:37 am »

Currently, the game seems....very easy. The problem is that (apparently) there's a 2 million point range between 'ecstatic' and 'suicidal/berzerk' and most modifiers don't move it more than a few hundred points. So even over years of misery your dwarfs are unlikely to break 100k, the starting point for the average dwarf to have negative effects.

Requesting a difficulty mod that reduces the levels at which negative effects occur. Something like 20k/50k/100k would seem right.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: Mod request - difficulty mod for stress levels.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 10:16:16 am »

You can do this by adding a high personality value for STRESS_VULNERABILITY to dwarves.  This causes them to accumulate stress faster.

Xira

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 10:23:48 am »

You can do this by adding a high personality value for STRESS_VULNERABILITY to dwarves.  This causes them to accumulate stress faster.

Can you give me more specific instructions? I'm not incompetent when it comes to modifying files/CRCs but I know nothing about modding dwarf fortress. Also, is it possible to mod this into an active fortress? What values should I use?

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 10:45:56 am »

The dwarf creature entry is in creature_standard.txt in the objects folder.  Change the [PERSONALITY:STRESS_VULNERABILITY:0:45:100] token to favor higher values (format for the numbers is Min:Middle:Max, numbers are out of 100).

I would not expect changing that value to affect existing dwarves, but it may affect newly generated ones.  The raws for your current save are in data/save/region#/raw/objects/
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

Xira

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 11:06:12 am »

The dwarf creature entry is in creature_standard.txt in the objects folder.  Change the [PERSONALITY:STRESS_VULNERABILITY:0:45:100] token to favor higher values (format for the numbers is Min:Middle:Max, numbers are out of 100).

I would not expect changing that value to affect existing dwarves, but it may affect newly generated ones.  The raws for your current save are in data/save/region#/raw/objects/

Thanks for helping me. Do you know how the values work? Would doubling them double stress generation, or increase it by some other formula? So something like 50:100:150 would double stress generation?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 12:03:11 pm »

I don't know the effects in detail, but the numbers are out of 100.  so what you suggested is out of bounds and probably would be equivalent to 50:100:100.  (approximately half of the dwarves would have the attribute randomly distributed from 50 to 100, and half would be pegged at 100)

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 12:06:38 pm »

Each individual only has 1 value.  I'm not sure if values higher than 100 have an effect, the wiki leads me to think no.  [PERSONALITY:STRESS_VULNERABILITY:100:100:100] would make everyone have the highest possible value in that case.  [PERSONALITY:STRESS_VULNERABILITY:61:80:100] would make everyone at least "doesn't handle stress well" while still having dwarf-to-dwarf variability in stress vulnerability.

See: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Personality_trait

Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 12:22:01 pm »

Thanks for helping me. Do you know how the values work? Would doubling them double stress generation, or increase it by some other formula? So something like 50:100:150 would double stress generation?
The cap is 100, I think, so not quite. If you want them super stressed all the time, then set it so it's 100:100:100. I imagine you don't want quite that but the way it works is: creatures can only have a personality value that is in the interval between the min and max values. Numbers close to the medium value will be more common than the extremes. So for a pretty stressed, but not completely neurotic, fort, you may want to go with 40:80:100.

Ninja'd
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 01:49:23 am »

The cap is definitely 100 and AFAIK it's a sort of normalish distribution over the three numbers with the median being the center number.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2016, 12:02:35 pm »

Want a binpatch? i can make the numbers *much* bigger

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2016, 03:57:26 pm »

Depends on whether making the numbers bigger would make the range more granular (almost definitely not), actually change behavior (most likely tbh) or not do anything past 100 (also somewhat likely).

Also, seems like an odd thing to do when one could just mod in anxiety disorder syndromes and stuff.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2016, 07:10:44 pm »

Depends on whether making the numbers bigger would make the range more granular (almost definitely not), actually change behavior (most likely tbh) or not do anything past 100 (also somewhat likely).

Also, seems like an odd thing to do when one could just mod in anxiety disorder syndromes and stuff.
i ment change the hardcoded emotions

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2016, 03:39:59 am »

Change the emotion divisors or the thought strength?

orost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2016, 02:17:22 pm »

I'd love this too. I miss tantrums and wish I had an actual reason to make life better for my dwarves.