Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14

Author Topic: The Fallen Sky: Training Round 1, Eliminated Squad 2  (Read 15069 times)

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
Re: The Fallen Sky: Falling in progress
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2016, 02:17:09 am »

"Ah Hermia, my first love."

Reflect upon my past until disturbed.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 07:09:50 pm by WunderKatze »
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2016, 03:42:16 am »

((So I just choose Offensive, Defensive or Evasive and you automatically decide the movement appropriate to the fight situation?))

(It's just an option. You could go passive and wait for your turn so you have full control, but in a multi-person battle you might want to do more than one thing per turn, since the clock ticks with everyone and not just you.)
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2016, 03:45:53 am »

((Rightio, changing my action ))
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2016, 06:48:47 am »

Get prepared to go to our first class. Try to attract little attention.
Monster stowage inventory running low. Starting #2 Monster Pump, filling #4 Monster tank, via #2a Demonizer.

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2016, 10:16:26 am »

Wake up from staring into space, and find a place to reserve a bed.
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2016, 06:36:04 pm »

((Rightio, changing my action ))

(Well, your stance is a response, so if you don't specify an attack, you'd end up just letting him attack again. )

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2016, 06:47:44 pm »

((changed it again.))
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2016, 07:05:09 pm »

"...ah, I know how you feel. My parents were an author and journalist, so I had no help in learning math myself. The war also put a damper on my learning, but it did give me valuable experience."

Continue the conversation.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2016, 10:56:05 pm »

I greet the person on the bunk below me, ask if they need help, and try to trade names. If they seem chatty enough, I'll try to strike up a "where-we're-from" conversation to get to know them better.

Addendum:  If they're nice, I try offering them some of my deliciously sweet and sour Jojubes from my bags. Nothing better to break the ice!

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2016, 06:42:31 pm »

City of Irrowskurn, 2000 Orbital Time, Day 140, 79 A.E.

I greet the person on the bunk below me, ask if they need help, and try to trade names. If they seem chatty enough, I'll try to strike up a "where-we're-from" conversation to get to know them better.

Addendum:  If they're nice, I try offering them some of my deliciously sweet and sour Jojubes from my bags. Nothing better to break the ice!

Since you need to be on the floor to get to your bags anyway, you meet face-to-face.
"Oh hey! I'm Shirou. Nice to meet you. I'm kind of bummed about the draft since I spend the last week studying for finals... but... I guess it's nice that I have a say in our future."

You offer him some candy.
"For me? Oh sorry, I strictly control my diet. No junk food for me!"
He pulls out a banana from his backpack and eats it whole.

"...ah, I know how you feel. My parents were an author and journalist, so I had no help in learning math myself. The war also put a damper on my learning, but it did give me valuable experience."

Continue the conversation.

"The war...?"
You see a face of genuine curiosity.
"You mean you fought in Anexia? Wow... they must have specifically picked you for this. Have you ever been in a tank?"
Last you recall, tanks are obsolete in the age of air superiority. Anexia was the first region of New Terra to be annexed, by Irrowskurn of course. It consisted of a number of villages which popped up over the years, filled with dissidents and revolutionaries. Eventually they started housing guerillas, and in short order, Anexia was pressured into joining Irrowskurn's sphere of influence and to allow inspections.

Tanks had no role in that. They're just sitting ducks for aircraft. At least, that's what everyone thought...

OFFENSE: Punch him

[d6: 6] You put all your weight behind the blow, knocking him down onto the steel edge of the bed through a punch to the chest. He rolls over onto his side and clutches it, gasping for air. Did you hit something important...?

The guy starts coughing blood all over the white bedsheets. Someone shouts "someone help him" and you hear the doors slam. Soon enough, a pair of medics in violet-green uniforms (the camoflague is patterned in dazzling zigzags) arrive and pull the coughing boy on a stretcher.

Hey, at least you got the top bed for yourself.

Wake up from staring into space, and find a place to reserve a bed.

[1] You're dead last, so you get to pick the one bed left, where there's a girl lying on the bottom bunk, relaxing.
"Hi." she sees you set your bags down.
"Hey, you can take the bottom if you'd like. I don't have anything down there worth watching." she goes to climb the ladder.

"Ah Hermia, my first love."

Reflect upon my past until disturbed.

You remember Hermia as a little fledgeling. Crows are not native to this planet, having been reconstructed from genetic information brought aboard the colony vessel. They were made to be nocturnal, just like humans became voluntarily. Air temperatures in Irrowskurn reach 140°F routinely during the summer, too much for any Earth wildlife.

It was not expected that Earth's wildlife would find niches in New Terra's ecosystem. At some point, crows and other animals were found with symbiotic parasites living in their digestive tracts. These allows Earth's wildlife to live in the wild--and soon crows in particular were found leading nightwings (small ground predators capable of gliding from hills) to their prey, scavenging the remains.

In fact, it seems Hermia found a bit of meat of her own. She sets it down at your feet: a pincer belonging to some crustacean-like local wildlife.

Get prepared to go to our first class. Try to attract little attention.

You pass the time by reading the the instructions in your schedule:
Today's course will introduce you to recent developments in warfare. You will be expected to learn your strategic objectives and logistical basics.

Class is in the blue pavilion at 2100.

You look out the window: sure enough, the blue pavilion is there, next to a much-larger red pavilion and several violet-green tents much smaller than the last nearby.
There are a couple of trucks and armored cars parked next to an open field with targets at the end, presumably a firing range.

You get your stuff ready, including your stylus and a roll of smartpaper.

Healthy
>Hermia is not allowed inside buildings

Spoiler: Jeremy Nix, AKA NRDL (click to show/hide)
Healthy

Healthy

Healthy

Healthy

Healthy

« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 06:34:40 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2016, 07:04:48 pm »

"Oh, right, thanks."

She places her bag down, and takes the bottom.

((Her age is either 18, or 20, whichever suits more.))
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2016, 11:49:29 pm »

"Geez, though he could take a punch better than that."

Claim best bunk, ask around to see where we get started with training.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2016, 11:56:49 pm »

"I'll savor it." Raioyris smiles, grabbing the pincer. If I have any food on me offer it to Hermia. "Fly true Hermia."

Go and find a bunk for some rest. Find one near a corner if possible.

Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2016, 12:28:09 am »

Shrugging, I put the candy bag in my bags. "Respect. We're probably gonna need to watch our intake, anyway..."

It occurs to me that I have no idea how prevalent weaponry is on this planet. Is there a citizen militia group that officially trains at least bi-weekly in case an emergency comes up? Or are we looking at a room potentially full of washouts? I want to know who's got actual skills, here.

I chat him up some more while looking around pointedly to the rest of the room. "Hey, Shirou, you ever... you know, fired a gun before? Killed something? Or at least shot cans?"

If not, I offer to help him out as best I can. Teach him how to handle and care for for a gun, maybe; I learned quite a bit about that from my folks, since we sometimes had to fend off supply looters while on the job; there's plenty of crazies out there who'd love to get their hands on commercial-grade explosives.

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2016, 02:04:13 am »

"Nah, tanks weren't that popular back in the war. I did work with other land vehicles, making sure they were in proper order. It's an important job, the main reason it ended so quickly was due to the abysmal state of Anexian supply and traffic. Trucks and munitions got stuck in the city well before the troops could get it."

"But enough about me. What made you want to be a civil engineer in the first place?"

Ask the girl about her background.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14