Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 28

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.43.04 Released  (Read 201229 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.43.04 Released
« Reply #225 on: June 26, 2016, 04:42:49 pm »

I have four cc1plus going, %MEM is ~20 for each.  Am I just running out of RAM in the new setup?

edit: I changed the build script to use just one core, and now it is going through the files at around 50% mem usage.  We'll see what happens when it hits a bad one.

edit: Yeah, it's bumping up against my 2GB and going to swap on occasion.  I'm going to let it run through to the end and see if we have any actual error messages at the link/libgraphics phase.  I'm guessing it'll take about an hour to compile everything, but I'm not sure since it might hit a bump later on.

edit: made it to libgraphics (this is the 32 bit attempt)
Code: [Select]
g++ -o src/libgraphics.so -Wl,--as-needed -Wl,-rpath=\$ORIGIN -m32 -pthread -shared src/g_src/enabler.os src/g_src/basics.os src/g_src/command_line.os src/g_src/graphics.os src/g_src/init.os src/g_src/interface.os src/g_src/win32_compat.os src/g_src/music_and_sound_openal.os src/g_src/random.os src/g_src/textlines.os src/g_src/keybindings.os src/g_src/ViewBase.os src/g_src/textures.os src/g_src/files.os src/g_src/enabler_input.os src/g_src/GL/glew.os src/g_src/KeybindingScreen.os src/g_src/resize++.os src/g_src/renderer_offscreen.os src/g_src/ttf_manager.os src/g_src/find_files_posix.os -Llibs -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgio-2.0 -lpangoft2-1.0 -lpangocairo-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lcairo -lpango-1.0 -lfontconfig -lgobject-2.0 -lglib-2.0 -lfreetype -lSDL -lSDL_image -lGLU -lz -lSDL_ttf
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgtk-x11-2.0
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgdk-x11-2.0
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -latk-1.0
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgio-2.0
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lpangoft2-1.0
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lpangocairo-1.0
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lcairo
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lpango-1.0
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lfontconfig
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgobject-2.0
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lglib-2.0
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lfreetype
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lSDL
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lSDL_image
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lGLU
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lSDL_ttf
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
scons: *** [src/libgraphics.so] Error 1
scons: building terminated because of errors.
Do I need more packages?  I have the ones from before (libsdl1.2-dev etc.).  Or is it something else?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 06:27:52 pm by Toady One »
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #226 on: June 26, 2016, 06:33:23 pm »

Do I need more packages?  I have the ones from before (libsdl1.2-dev etc.).  Or is it something else?

Basically yes, you'll need to install dev packages with both :i386 and :amd64 suffixes. The problem is that it's sometimes hard to understand what package contains the needed library.
There's likely a command to find a package that provides a filename, but you can just do apt-cache search <libname> and choose something with -dev suffix that looks most appropriate.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 26, 2016, 06:38:17 pm »

libsdl1.2-dev:i386 : Depends : libcaca-dev:i386 but it is not going to be installed
Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #228 on: June 26, 2016, 06:50:23 pm »

libsdl1.2-dev:i386 : Depends : libcaca-dev:i386 but it is not going to be installed
Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Oh I see (i386 dev packages conflict with amd64 dev packages).. But I have no idea how to fix it. Probably there's a way to set up a multiarch dev environment properly (like set up virtual environments with different architectures), but I don't know.
Unless someone comes and tells how to do that and it's easy, what I'd do in this case is simply have two VMs with i386 and amd64 Ubuntu and use them to build separately. You can use free VirtualBox on your Windows machine for VMs or DigitalOcean, where you can create a VM in just a minute with any distro/arch and then destroy it. Use Vagrant as I outlined below.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 26, 2016, 07:02:15 pm »

The closest thing to an answer I could find was "some packages can't be installed for multiple architectures at the same time". I don't know if this is the case with libcaca-dev, though. Does just installing libsdl-1.2:i386 work? It may be that the different headers are conflicting but the libraries themselves aren't (but I'm really not an expert on this).
Failing that, if you need to use a VM, running 64-bit Linux natively and 32-bit Linux in a VM (hosted on your Windows machine, if that has more memory available) would probably be more efficient than the other way around. Not sure if an online VM is something you'd want to use to compile DF.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #230 on: June 26, 2016, 07:39:06 pm »

Here's an easyway to get 32bit dev environment on your Linux machine without manually configuring VMs, etc.

Code: [Select]
wget https://releases.hashicorp.com/vagrant/1.8.4/vagrant_1.8.4_x86_64.deb
dpkg -i vagrant_1.8.4_x86_64.deb
apt-get install virtualbox

mkdir df_32 && cd df_32
vagrant init ubuntu/trusty32
vagrant up

Then you do "vagrant ssh" and you're logged into a 32bit machine AND your df_32 folder is accessible from inside the machine as /vagrant. And you can use your physical Linux machine itself for 64bit builds, by removing 32bit libraries and installing just 64bit.

nop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 26, 2016, 09:04:22 pm »

vagrant is an old day, use docker for setting up 32bit environment and compiling

@toady
it is a crazy idea, but what about a twitch stream 'let us compile dwarf fortress' with the help from the chat?

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #232 on: June 26, 2016, 09:18:58 pm »

vagrant is an old day, use docker for setting up 32bit environment and compiling

Possible but more difficult to configure and use.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 27, 2016, 01:41:41 am »

Does just installing libsdl-1.2:i386 work? It may be that the different headers are conflicting but the libraries themselves aren't (but I'm really not an expert on this).

"libsdl-1.2:i386" wasn't there, and "libsdl1.2:i386" was referenced by other packages but 'missing or obsolete'.  I'm not sure how you just get the library.

I'm trying a 64 bit build now to see how that works out in the link stage (1 core compiling seems to be squeaking through).  I'll worry about VMs for 32 after that, if that's the way to go.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 27, 2016, 02:30:30 am »

I've done a lot of world generation using the 64 bit version and got a crash yesterday (probably not specifically related to 64 bit, but just the same as occasionally happened earlier as well). I've got the event report info and a crash dump. Are these of interest? If so, I can upload the dump and provide a link.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 27, 2016, 02:58:47 am »

Linux 64 linked, but I get a compression error trying to run it.  Wrong zlib maybe?  Not sure how to check which one it is using.  Or I have some 64 bit problem with the file loading code itself that bothers linux and not windows.

I've done a lot of world generation using the 64 bit version and got a crash yesterday (probably not specifically related to 64 bit, but just the same as occasionally happened earlier as well). I've got the event report info and a crash dump. Are these of interest? If so, I can upload the dump and provide a link.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to get anything out of those, and it's compounded by the discussion in the thread about worlds not generately the same way for the same seed.  I should probably fix up that situation as soon as I can get to it.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 27, 2016, 03:57:23 am »

I was afraid they'd be of no use, that's why I asked first. The non deterministic world generation issue is not completely new, but last time I encountered it I couldn't repeat the problem with the latest (at that time) version, and it didn't happen often.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 27, 2016, 04:02:40 am »

Unfortunately, I don't know how to get anything out of those, and it's compounded by the discussion in the thread about worlds not generately the same way for the same seed.  I should probably fix up that situation as soon as I can get to it.

For crash dumps from windows, you just open them in visual studio and press "run" and it replicates the same crash that actually happened. You'll start off just getting the error message and access to the assembly I think, but if you can point it at the original pdb file and source code of the release it'll give you a full debugger experience.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 27, 2016, 04:14:19 am »

We need to download some more RAM for Toady, clearly.

int_ua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 27, 2016, 05:09:40 am »

Another option for building 32bit on a 64bit Ubuntu is to use mk-sbuild + schroot: http://askubuntu.com/a/216670/20275
Allowing to work with the same home directory is currently omitted there, check https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SimpleSbuild#Mount_your_home_dir
It should avoid overhead of creating a whole new install (it will download only the packages that differ, AFAIU) and running a VM.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 05:22:37 am by int_ua »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 28