Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 28

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.43.04 Released  (Read 199975 times)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.43.04 Released
« Reply #285 on: June 28, 2016, 06:18:50 am »

so what was suppose to happen with adventure mode tribute demands? are adventure camps setting up trade agreements with diplomats or something? wonder what was broken and what is fixed?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #286 on: June 28, 2016, 06:34:07 am »

Although it still uses 32-bit OpenAL
Code: [Select]
Picking OpenAL Soft. If your desired device was missing, make sure you have the appropriate 32-bit libraries installed. If you wanted a different device, configure ~/.openalrc appropriately.
The fact that that message says "32-bit" means absolutely nothing, because that's a custom message Toady added himself.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 28, 2016, 12:21:29 pm »

Man, you're gonna go crosseyed doing all these OS updates in a row, it's great having them out of the way though.

Hell, I'm going crosseyed just watching the discussion. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #288 on: June 28, 2016, 01:31:47 pm »

Cleaned up my mistakes in the Mac script...  now we appear to be compiling up to the end for 10.5, and have arrived at the expected fmodex/SDL/SDL_image missing x86_64 architecture part.  I don't remember why we didn't go with OpenAL originally on Mac -- is there some issue there?  I don't know if we'll be able to update fmodex now.  I can try to sort the SDL myself.

edit: SDL seems to be resolved, so we're just down to sound and actually seeing if it runs.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 01:43:25 pm by Toady One »
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

txtsd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I have a quest!
« Reply #289 on: June 28, 2016, 07:48:18 pm »

Although it still uses 32-bit OpenAL
Code: [Select]
Picking OpenAL Soft. If your desired device was missing, make sure you have the appropriate 32-bit libraries installed. If you wanted a different device, configure ~/.openalrc appropriately.
The fact that that message says "32-bit" means absolutely nothing, because that's a custom message Toady added himself.

Oh good. I didn't realize it was a custom message.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 28, 2016, 08:42:04 pm »

I was thinking that the later years seemed to keep pace a bit better on 64 bit, but I couldn't tell if it was just my imagination or not.
I'm not alone then. In my tests the latter years in world gen do not seem to be as laggy as it is on 32 bits.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 28, 2016, 10:01:28 pm »

Cleaned up my mistakes in the Mac script...  now we appear to be compiling up to the end for 10.5, and have arrived at the expected fmodex/SDL/SDL_image missing x86_64 architecture part.  I don't remember why we didn't go with OpenAL originally on Mac -- is there some issue there?  I don't know if we'll be able to update fmodex now.  I can try to sort the SDL myself.

edit: SDL seems to be resolved, so we're just down to sound and actually seeing if it runs.
I have OpenAL in /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenAL.framework/. Is it there on 10.5?
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Searching for the other sock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 28, 2016, 11:27:20 pm »

I was thinking that the later years seemed to keep pace a bit better on 64 bit, but I couldn't tell if it was just my imagination or not.
I'm not alone then. In my tests the latter years in world gen do not seem to be as laggy as it is on 32 bits.
Oh wow I can move around a fortress in adventure mode without waiting 5-10 seconds to move again, this seems to be a massive improvement.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 29, 2016, 01:15:52 am »

I thought this might be relevant to the 64-bit discussion: https://reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/4qcayr/ubuntu_developers_discuss_again_about_dropping/
Basically, Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (this year's release, supported until 2021) will be the last Ubuntu to support 32-bit PCs, and 18.04 LTS (released in 2018, supported until 2023) will be the last to support 32-bit apps. By this schedule, the first Ubuntu release with no support for 32-bit apps will be 18.10, at the end of 2018. Anyone who releases any kind of Linux software has to have a 64-bit release ready for that date. People that use 32-bit only apps have until the 18.04 LTS support expires in 2023 to find alternatives, although they may find themselves wanting to upgrade sooner for other software (LTSs are often left with older software in their repositories for stability reasons).
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 01:17:29 am by Thief^ »
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 29, 2016, 01:32:25 am »

I have OpenAL in /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenAL.framework/. Is it there on 10.5?

I see version 1.2 of OpenAL.framework at that location in Mac OS X 10.5.8.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #295 on: June 29, 2016, 01:42:29 am »

Yeah, I may or may not have that working, though I think I need sndfile now...  hopefully that's it.

edit: should I just cobble it together from the copy on linux or is something else more prudent?  the download link I found for it did not work
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 02:11:19 am by Toady One »
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #296 on: June 29, 2016, 02:26:05 am »

edit: should I just cobble it together from the copy on linux or is something else more prudent?  the download link I found for it did not work

Are you talking about libsndfile or what?

https://github.com/erikd/libsndfile/releases

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 29, 2016, 04:52:00 am »

The improvement of performance of 64 bit adventure mode is very noticiable.

Cexp

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 29, 2016, 09:59:38 am »

How much of that is the 64-bit thing, and how much is the new compiler, though? 32-bit also runs faster.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 29, 2016, 10:11:09 am »

There shouldn't be much difference between the two, so it's probably either the new compiler or the power of suggestion (or differences between worlds, bug fixes in the newer version, etc.).
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 28