Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 28

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.43.04 Released  (Read 199959 times)

smariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.43.04 Released
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2016, 11:02:51 am »

I think you'll either have to:
  • Statically link the libraries.
  • Create an installer that installs the libraries.
  • Include a link to the MSVC 2016 Redistributable on the download page, along with the message 'If the program won't run because MSVCP140.dll is missing, install this.'
Likes schrödinbugs for their reality destroying implications.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2016, 11:04:32 am »

Can confirm, windows xp, the exe with the file from the whole download wont launch, the df_test.exe launches.

edit: Oh, and the error message pops up when i close it.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 11:06:03 am by Gwolfski »
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2016, 11:09:46 am »

Okay, I AM getting some weird shit here. DF seems to open and work fine so far, then AFTER I close it, a few seconds after I get...

edit: Oh, and the error message pops up when i close it.

FYI for the Toad, this is the exact error message I'm getting for my report here
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2016, 11:21:23 am »

Can confirm. In XP SP3, the new df_xp_test.exe launches and runs fine, but on close it experiences a crash--whether or not the world has been loaded.

My debugger shows the crash occurring at a spot where there's no code. From most recent to less on the stack:

01d1fe6c
00e26196
00e261e4
00e2649e
00e2083e
00e209ed
0040150f
0040159a
00e1752a

And then the last frame I see is in KERNEL32.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 11:24:36 am by Lummox JR »

CyberPhantom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2016, 12:05:14 pm »

My experience so far on Windows 10:

SDL 0.43.04: errors on launch about missing MSVCP140.dll and VCRUNTIME140.dll.
Legacy 0.43.04: no problems on launch or exit
"new df exe": no problems on launch or exit
"df xp test exe": no problems on launch or exit

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2016, 12:25:57 pm »

hmm I am on the 32 bit version so there's a factor into that.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2016, 12:32:35 pm »

So much derp. I'm testing this on my laptop now, first it seems I need to get those delicious DLLs before it'll work, whereas I didn't have that issue on the desktop. >.o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2016, 12:38:13 pm »

Note to anyone running a 64-bit OS, you still need to run the 32-bit MSVC++ installer for the file to work correctly.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2016, 12:50:58 pm »

http://bay12games.com/dwarves/redist/msvcp140.dll
http://bay12games.com/dwarves/redist/vcruntime140.dll

For the SDL version on the website, are those two files sufficient (put them in the folder with the exe), or does it give an additional DLL error?  I'd like to find the smallest set I can include without forcing anybody to run an installer.  I'll stay away from the /MT option if possible to keep DFHack running.

I have no idea what's going on with the exit crash...  was that only happening on XP/Win7 in the SDL version?
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2016, 12:54:23 pm »

For the SDL version on the website, are those two files sufficient (put them in the folder with the exe), or does it give an additional DLL error?  I'd like to find the smallest set I can include without forcing anybody to run an installer.  I'll stay away from the /MT option if possible to keep DFHack running.

I have no idea what's going on with the exit crash...  was that only happening on XP/Win7 in the SDL version?

Derp. I went ahead and updated my Visual C++ stuff on the laptop, I'll see if that fixed it.

And unsure if other OSes are affected. But yeah, seems to only be the SDL version so far.

EDIT: As I stated in the relevant issue, the link for the Visual C++ Redistributable Witty provided resolved the occurrence of that bug on my laptop. Having done so, I can now confirm the "post-closure crash" issue occurs on the laptop too (Windows 7 32-bit, same as with the desktop).
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 01:07:17 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

DeCervantes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 21, 2016, 01:25:02 pm »

I have been using the SDL version until now but this one crashes. I could solve this by replacing the .exe file with the one provided by ToadyOne but got the post-closure crash. The legacy version seem to work fine.

Im using a Windows 7, 64 bit

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2016, 01:30:04 pm »

My experience so far on Windows 10:

SDL 0.43.04: errors on launch about missing MSVCP140.dll and VCRUNTIME140.dll.
Legacy 0.43.04: no problems on launch or exit
"new df exe": no problems on launch or exit
"df xp test exe": no problems on launch or exit

This matches my experience as well in Win10 64 bit.  From checking the 0.43.04 zip I downloaded yesterday the two referenced DLLs are missing, an older version of the MSVCP (msvcp100.dll) is present, but no runtime file (vcruntimeXXX.dll) is present at all, old or new.

Installing the two files from Toady's post a few above this one resolves the problem.  I am not seeing the error/crash on exit, though I haven't even generated a world yet.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 01:34:47 pm by krenshala »
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

CyberPhantom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2016, 02:45:59 pm »

For the SDL version on the website, are those two files sufficient (put them in the folder with the exe), or does it give an additional DLL error?

On my Windows 10 machine, after I add those two DLLs to the SDL version's folder, the game starts, runs, and exits normally. (As noted above, without the DLLs, I get missing DLL errors.)

CyberPhantom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2016, 03:08:41 pm »

Results from my testing the exit crashing:

Win XP SP3, 32-bit: exit crash when using "df xp test exe" (and the other builds won't run at all due to missing DLL errors)
Win 7 SP1, 32-bit: no exit crash when using "new df exe". yes exit crash when using "df xp test exe".
Win 10, 64-bit: no exit crash on SDL, legacy, or the two new exe's

Conclusion: it seems to happen when using the xp build, but only on XP/7.

edit: Upon further testing, it appears to crash on exit on Win 7 even with the other exes. More here.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 06:56:43 pm by CyberPhantom »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2016, 03:25:50 pm »

Also, I just realized we're now at the inverse of what was the last D2012 release. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 28