Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Crying  (Read 2941 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Crying
« on: June 21, 2016, 04:17:12 pm »

Anyone know what causes creatures to start crying?

I mean, obviously it's the EXTREME_EMOTION tag, but what specifically sets it off?  Are there ways of fine-tuning a creature's personality and values so that they will start crying about some things and not others?  Has anyone done any science on this?

(I want to mod a sort of paladin race that will lose their special powers as long as they are crying, to encourage a 'lawful good' playing style.  However, I want them to be able to kill enemies without breaking down into tears.)

Legendary Marksdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crying
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 04:27:05 pm »

I'm not a hundred percent sure, but basically creatures will start crying when something they really like or they really dislike happens to them. For example, I've noticed Kobolds, which have high greed, will start crying when they acquire items.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 12:01:22 am »

Hmm, that could make things trickier, though it could be that each specific personality trait has an emotional direction and a stoic direction.

First off, is there anything that can prevent someone from caring whenever they see a random corpse?  (I expect some people might want this for fort mode.)

leafbarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident pokemon fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Mewtwo mod
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 09:56:07 am »

Something I've noticed, in Adventure mode at least, is that creatures' eyes constantly have a covering of tears, or at least the ones that can cry do; this is regardless of their emotional state, it seems like. I don't know if this helps at all, but it's something.
Quote from: leafbarrett
They can do whatever the heck they want. That's why they are nobles, cause they CAN.
King Henry the IV or something had a lot of wives, most of whom he executed. Because he could.
A ton of them mass-murdered Jews and Muslims. CAUSE THEY COULD.
A roman emperor made his horse a noble, cause he could.
And I modded them all out of existence, because I could.
sig text

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 10:50:59 am »

Something I've noticed, in Adventure mode at least, is that creatures' eyes constantly have a covering of tears, or at least the ones that can cry do; this is regardless of their emotional state, it seems like. I don't know if this helps at all, but it's something.

They don't at first, until something triggers it, like seeing a dead body.  Sometimes though, it doesn't seem to stop.  This might be a bug.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 12:11:15 pm »

I'm not a hundred percent sure, but basically creatures will start crying when something they really like or they really dislike happens to them. For example, I've noticed Kobolds, which have high greed, will start crying when they acquire items.

This is the greatest image of all time.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 01:31:29 pm »

This is the greatest image of all time.

True happiness

leafbarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident pokemon fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Mewtwo mod
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 04:40:30 pm »

They don't at first, until something triggers it, like seeing a dead body.  Sometimes though, it doesn't seem to stop.  This might be a bug.
I just made a new adventurer and haven't even left the room I started in.
Quote from: leafbarrett
They can do whatever the heck they want. That's why they are nobles, cause they CAN.
King Henry the IV or something had a lot of wives, most of whom he executed. Because he could.
A ton of them mass-murdered Jews and Muslims. CAUSE THEY COULD.
A roman emperor made his horse a noble, cause he could.
And I modded them all out of existence, because I could.
sig text

Legendary Marksdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 06:34:26 pm »

Your character probably really likes (or really dislikes) something that's in your starting room. For me, crying isn't always on. It's possible that high propensity to stress also makes crying more frequent (at least that would seem logical ?).
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 04:38:51 am by Legendary Marksdorf »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2016, 07:41:13 pm »

Make them cry magma.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2016, 04:32:49 am »

Make them cry magma.

Make them cry very poisonous gas.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2016, 06:51:14 am »

Make them cry magma.

Make them cry very poisonous gas.

Make them cry boiling hot poisonous gas.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2016, 08:26:13 am »

[SECRETION]

Comes in three flavours. Continuous (for perpetually poisonous/sticky/oily skin/organ by allocating SKIN:CONTINUOUS) im not sure how to exactly generate this as attempts to create a naked human man that perpetually sweats or is covered in olive oil with [TRAP_IMMUNE] running around using the OIL:OLIVE_TEMPLATE etc have been unsuccessful in getting to generate in arena mode despite a lack of error log problems, extreme emotion triggered by the creature's mental state reactions such as tears for pain/joy etc defined by TEARS commonly, and extertion caused by sweat commonly though the three can be swapped around.

Additionally you can also set this up to collect particular material templates in much the same way yarn works, by reading off a egible tag such as [GLOB] generated off (milkable is also a option but i believe that's strictly for [MILK] or a requirement to be liquid to extract to a bucket/container directly) a creatures material reaction, unlike wool you'd need to make sure it is replenishable somehow or infinite, in theory [SECRETION] can fix this if its constantly generated.

Merchants dont have to go through the process of extracting goods because they dissect the materials from the animals directly

Gremlin sweat for instance, its passively on the gremlin itself and merchants sell it because other animals don't sweat, same goes for poisons and blood that can't be extracted normally. However spitting is locked behind a interaction making it untouchable so they dont selll spit..

Code: ( Creature standard RAW code explanation on this already in there) [Select]
This controls the bleeding behavior.

[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:BLOOD:BLOOD_TEMPLATE]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BLOOD:LIQUID]

These classes are used by syndromes (such as poison) as well as some restricted entity positions.  You can name them whatever you want.

[CREATURE_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]

Some tags to control the overall infection behavior.

[GETS_WOUND_INFECTIONS]
[GETS_INFECTIONS_FROM_ROT]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:PUS:PUS_TEMPLATE]
[PUS:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:PUS:LIQUID]

Some additional materials.

[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SWEAT:SWEAT_TEMPLATE]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:TEARS:TEARS_TEMPLATE]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SPIT:SPIT_TEMPLATE]

[SECRETION:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SWEAT:LIQUID:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:SKIN:EXERTION]
[SECRETION:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:TEARS:LIQUID:BY_CATEGORY:EYE:ALL:EXTREME_EMOTION]

[CAN_DO_INTERACTION:MATERIAL_EMISSION]
[CDI:ADV_NAME:Spit]
[CDI:USAGE_HINT:NEGATIVE_SOCIAL_RESPONSE]
[CDI:USAGE_HINT:TORMENT]
[CDI:BP_REQUIRED:BY_CATEGORY:MOUTH]
[CDI:MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SPIT:LIQUID_GLOB]
[CDI:VERB:spit:spits:NA]
[CDI:TARGET:C:LINE_OF_SIGHT]
[CDI:TARGET_RANGE:C:15]
[CDI:MAX_TARGET_NUMBER:C:1]
[CDI:WAIT_PERIOD:30]

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2016, 01:55:12 pm »

God, I love this place.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

FirestormXL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2016, 06:33:24 pm »

To make a dwarf cry I always just play adventure mode... Constant tears for some reason. Not even kidding. Every time, constant tears no matter what.
Pages: [1] 2