Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [47.05] Jurassic Dwarf: Dino-Hybrids 1.1  (Read 2696 times)

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
[47.05] Jurassic Dwarf: Dino-Hybrids 1.1
« on: October 10, 2022, 03:36:47 pm »

Welcome... to Jurassic Dwarf!
Dino-Hybrids

Jurassic Garden was the most ambitious project devised by the dwarfkind in the modern age; bringing dinosaurs, monstrous beasts from bygone eras, back to life; DwarfGen's completely new technology that would, and did, change the course of history forever. The reveal of this wonder of science was not as grand as it was meant to be, however, as many factors led to a disaster that consumed many lives. Not having learned from their mistakes, as dwarves do, DwarfGen attempted to revive the project with tragic results.

That would have been it for Jurassic Garden had its files remained hidden away, forever lost to history. It was not the case, however, as after the death of DwarfGen's CEO, Urist McHammond, the company was bought by a wealthy businessman, Urist McMasrani, who has decided to give the proect a new life under the name of Jurassic Planet. This theme park was successful, thriving, making profit. Unfortunately, under this glorious success festered a pustule of greed and dangerous ambition, ready to pop at any time. What emerged from it was a completely new danger to the world, new beings not evolved but designed, in many cases specifically for sowing death and destruction.

Now, long after the second fall of DwarfGen, dwarves learn to live among abominations of past and future combined, either fighting them, forming bonds, or staying as far away as possible. How will you choose to live in this new world that was never meant to be?

What is this even?

Jurassic Dwarf: Dino-Hybrids is a mod that adds dinosaur (and not only) hybrids (and not only) from various Jurassic Park/World media! Now you too can be like Chris Pratt and be chased through the woods by a bioweapon just barely disguised as a theme park attraction! To do that, just find yourself in a savage area! You can also raise those as cattle, but who would do that?

What to expect?

The mod contains all sorts of hybridized fauna from Jurassic World, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, Camp Creataceous, Jurassic World Evolution, Jurassic World: The Game, Jurassic World Alive, Minecraft Jurassic World, Jurassic World: Dino Hybrid, and Jurassic Park: Chaos Effect. The ultimate goal is to recreate everything these movies, games and toy lines have to offer.

Be honest with us, which parts of this are stolen?

The mod was partially inspired by Enemy post's Primal, and just so it happened that I've borrowed some body parts and body detail plans from it for efficiency. One of the most poggers mods out there, check it out.

The log of change:
Code: [Select]
1.1: Sneks and sporpions update!
-New dinos!
  *Dilorex
  *Dilophospinus
  *Diloracheirus
  *Diloranosaurus
  *Dimetrocarnus
  *Dimodactylus
  *Diorajasaurus
  *Diplosuchus
  *Diplotator
  *Diplovenator
  *Dodocevia
  *Dracoceratops
  *Dracoceratosaurus
  *Dsungaia
  *Dsungascorpios
  *Dunkleosaurus
  *Alacranix
  *Ceramagnus
-Gave Alangasaurus arms
-Gave Carbotoceratops a frill
-Fixed Carbotoceratops name
-Lowered child age for Aquilamimus
-Added frequency to bosses
-Sorted out skin/scale business in synapsids and amphibians
-Tinkered with bravery, violence and discipline
-Made Dilophoboa no longer lay eggs
-Made Spinoceratops [SAVAGE]
-Fixed grammar a bit
-Minor fixes

1.0: Initial release update!
-initial release

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: [47.05] Jurassic Dwarf: Dino-Hybrids 1.0
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2022, 09:24:18 pm »

Hey, you’ve got Chaos Effect in here! Those were some of my favorite toys, nice to see they made it in.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2022, 03:13:17 am »

I've always seen Chaos Effect as a bizarre anomaly of a sort; something that shouldn't have been approved, yet it was. That's not to say I don't like the concept or designs; I just find it strange that it exists.

Robot_Face

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2022, 07:31:16 pm »

How much redundancy is there with Primal? If I install both, will there be duplicate dinos?
(I would check myself but dffd is down)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 01:25:37 am by Robot_Face »

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2022, 11:30:09 am »

There's no redundancies at all. Every creature here is fictional, while everything in Primal is real. It's also compatible with everything in terms of duplicate tags.

As a teaser for the next update (not released yet!), here's the changelog:

-New dinos!
  *Dilorex
  *Dilophospinus
  *Diloracheirus
  *Diloranosaurus
  *Dimetrocarnus
  *Dimodactylus
  *Diorajasaurus
  *Diplosuchus
  *Diplotator
  *Diplovenator
  *Dodocevia
  *Dracoceratops
  *Dracoceratosaurus
  *Dsungaia
  *Dsungascorpios
  *Dunkleosaurus
  *Alacranix
  *Ceramagnus
-Gave Alangasaurus arms
-Fixed grammar a bit
-Minor fixes

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2022, 02:44:53 am »

We're back, bay-bee! This update introduces many new animals, notably the first arthropod hybrids! My scorpions have a little different bodies than vanilla scorpions, having chelicerae and tarsal claws. Did you know that vanilla bark scorpions don't even have mouths? Yeah, really.

1.1: Sneks and sporpions update!
-New dinos!
  *Dilorex
  *Dilophospinus
  *Diloracheirus
  *Diloranosaurus
  *Dimetrocarnus
  *Dimodactylus
  *Diorajasaurus
  *Diplosuchus
  *Diplotator
  *Diplovenator
  *Dodocevia
  *Dracoceratops
  *Dracoceratosaurus
  *Dsungaia
  *Dsungascorpios
  *Dunkleosaurus
  *Alacranix
  *Ceramagnus
-Gave Alangasaurus arms
-Fixed Carbotoceratops name
-Made Spinoceratops [SAVAGE]
-Fixed grammar a bit
-Minor fixes

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
Re: [47.05] Jurassic Dwarf: Dino-Hybrids 1.1
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2023, 11:37:06 am »

Haven't posted here in a while, so there's some news. Well, these are not all recent news, since I've been spamming the "What's going on in your modding?" thread, but whatevs.

First things first, a while back I've released a very crude port for the Steam version. The main problem with it is no graphics, which I was worried about since the beginning. What is a spriteless mod worth in an update centered around graphics? In the end I've decided I'd go all out: learn to use GIMP again, mash up existing sprites together, do some minor adjustments and call it a day:

I'm not exactly happy with many of them. Literally every amphibian uses the modified alligator sprite. This method also doesn't work great for animals with "exotic" body plans such as theropods and pterosaurs. I had to come up with a different way to make sprites without learning how to draw.

These I like more, even though they take a lot more work. For reference, those are meant to be these two creatures
Spoiler: Andrewtherium (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ankylodicurus (click to show/hide)

Fortunately you can copy WebP images into GIMP, because that's the first part of the new process. Then I downsize the (huge) image, which results of the right-sized, but extremely low quality proto-sprite. I use that to create an outline for the whole creature and some important details. Finally I reduce the number of colors so that the sprite is clean and readable. By "reduce the number" I mean repaint the whole thing  :-\.
This new method is slower, but the general shape of the creature, which is the hardest part, is already done for me. That's not to mention that the sprites actually look like the creatures they are meant to represent.

Edit:

Quick comparison of Antarctovenator sprites, new and old. It's a very subtle difference, but the new one is a litle bit more detailed, maybe somewhat more on model. Very poggers overall. For reference, I used this particular image:

Spoiler: large image (click to show/hide)

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2023, 09:09:25 am »

Old amphibians:

New amphibians:

100% less alligator sprite used, and about 60% more Diplocaulus-like features.

I suppose the next batch will be remade birds, as proud as I was of them.

Edit:

Birds are technically theropods, so we've got our first dinosaurs, now that I'm thinking about it.

Old birds:

New birds:

You might have noticed a couple of interesting things:
-Babby birds are unchanged. That's because they are cute and I love them.
-Argenteryx sprites are more or less the same, just recolored. I could lie and make excuses, but to be completely honest, I just couldn't make it work the way I intended it to. Instead, I gave it a more on-model paintjob.
-Claridon is literally the same. I'm happy with that one, so no changes needed.
-Dodocevia and Allodriguez turned out great. Their feet are wonky, but that only adds to the charm.

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2023, 06:15:08 pm »

Old reptiles:

New reptiles:

Croc and gator purge continues. Or does it? There is a Sarcosuchus hybrid in this batch after all.

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2023, 04:49:21 pm »

Ready for another batch of remade sprites?

Old synapsids:

New synapsids:

I'm still not completely happy with some of them, especially the Andrewtops (third from the bottom). I couldn't get the angle of the head right, and I accidentally turned it into some kind of goofy Barney abomination. It's decided, I'm redoing that one again.

Edit:

New Andrewtops. You may notice that the Barney mutant is still there. I grew attached to it, so I'll use it as the icon and the babby sprite. It's not because I'm lazy or anything, okay?
In a way, I liked Barney better than the new one, but the new sprite is more representative of what Andrewtops is.