Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Asin's Misc. Races Pack! (47.xx)  (Read 965 times)

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
Asin's Misc. Races Pack! (47.xx)
« on: July 08, 2020, 07:04:26 am »

Just some races I made a while back and fixed up for 47.xx.

None of these are playable in fort mode... yet.

Download here.

Cat-men: The cat-men of the sand-filled deserts and occasionally the savannas are a primitive yet happy people that value most their traditions, independence, and the right to make merry in a leisurely and peaceful life. They bare no knowledge of metallurgy, only working the most basic of ores they can dig from the ground. When ambushing or besieging a foe, they carry enough honor to keep their focus directed upon the enemies they came to fight, never involving neutral parties in the conflict. Their pantheons oft include deities of the sun, dreams, and courage.

Dark Elves: The dark elves, some say drow, are a subset of elfkind who value industry and honor, not unlike the dwarves, albeit in their own elvish ways. Their yellow-irised eyes glow in the dark, shimmering in the pitch black of below the surface. They are among the few races to know the art of steel-making, bringing them closer more to dwarvenkind than elves. Yet, they use this art to create weapons unlike any seen by the other races, such as slicing blades of increasing sizes known as "tachi," "katanas," and "nodachi," and massive maces meant to break bones called "kanabo." Unlike their forest kin, they believe in a long forgotten pantheon of elf-kind, gods of the elements, storms, poetry, and the moon.

Moss Elves: The moss elves are considered by their brothers of the forest to be rebellious kin, warped by the ways of man and civilization. Men consider them as strange folk of the wetlands, who seem so close and yet so different. Straddlers between nature and civilization, these "common-folk elves" do their best to carve out a living from the bountiful yet harsh wetlands, adopting man's metallurgy and straying (but not abandoning) from the path which their immortal woodland brothers continue to tread.

Apuks: Apuks, or the Seven-Fingered Men (as the lower classes call them), are a tall people hailing from a most distant continent, seeking to "spread the ways of their gods" (of rulership and war), to these lands and the peoples who dwell upon them. Waging wars with the natives over disagreements and simple matters of truthfulness, the Apuks seem to be a vengeful people quick to fury and of great strength, endurance, and willpower who are "meant to rule", as decreed by their saint kings and saint queens. They wield no steel or any sort of equivalent, meaning they are not as powerful as some would claim. To those wielding a powerful army of their own, the Apuks may not stand a chance.

Guuths: Those who bare skin gray and hail from the lands of bitter frost are known as the Guuths. A race standing much taller than man, the Guuths are a people who desire battle and competition. They are steel-wielding warriors proficient in large weaponry who seek to challenge themselves and others, waiting for the day a force from afar seeks to claim their lands, just so they can prove themselves as a great and powerful fighting force. They are an emotional people, surprisingly, believing emotion to be something never hidden away, as the greatest rage a loss can bring to a Guuth may just be the thing to bring about victory. No matter if they win or lose, Guuths shall call upon their determined spirits and continue to fight.

How to use the mod:
1. Download the mod.
2. Look at the folders that pique your interest.
3. Click on said folders.
4. Move the files inside the folders of your liking into the "objects" subfolder of the "raws" folder.
5. Start up Dwarf Fortress.

Changelog:
0.1: Initial release.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Asin's Misc. Races Pack! (47.xx)
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 10:29:15 am »

You know, since Culture Shock (my first and biggest mod), I realized I grew a little too big with it. Perhaps this pack of more miscellaneous races could evolve into something more? Perhaps even a Culture Shock 2? What do you all think?

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 11:05:25 am »

First off, neat mod, good to see simpler ideas making their weays to the public and also to see you back in the saddle.

What are your plans for the old mods? Are you just gonna yeet them like that, or maybe bring back some races you were really fond like? I had sent you a pack of animals for the Hito, so maybe you could do something with those for this mod? I could also send over my personal catgirl/catboy version of Hito creature if you'd like  :P

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 11:53:24 am »

First off, neat mod, good to see simpler ideas making their weays to the public and also to see you back in the saddle.

What are your plans for the old mods? Are you just gonna yeet them like that, or maybe bring back some races you were really fond like? I had sent you a pack of animals for the Hito, so maybe you could do something with those for this mod? I could also send over my personal catgirl/catboy version of Hito creature if you'd like  :P

My plans for the old mods... I was thinking of sorta pulling some of my favorite races from each of my more original mods, yeah. Most of them from Culture Shock, but a few from the Monstrous races mod I did, and maybe a few from the Wee Folk mod and the like.

If I go about this, I know a certain few races will get brought back, like the Hito, Icedwellers (probably under a new name though) and my take on Hobgoblins.

Races like Culture Shock's Dark Elves might be renamed or sorta fused with their equivalent in this mod, so it'd be Culture Shock's weird extremely vaguely Francosphere dark elves with loud birds and cats as battle companions mixed with the more Japanese inspired Dark Elves of this mod.